Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Autistic tendancies - whats the difference? Thanks again, got final visit before the board for decision

(14 Posts)
greener2 Thu 23-May-13 09:24:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Thu 23-May-13 09:41:23

An autism dx would normally be given by a medical doctor, usually a consultant, usually following a range of multi-professional assessments. The psychologist is saying that dd is showing many of the features she has come to recognise in children with autism. But she cannot diagnose so is flagging up that there is probably enough there for you to request formal assessment. It also means school can try out some of the many things that can help with children with ASDs.

It's really easy as a parent to not see what others might consider 'problematic' or 'odd' or 'outside the normal range' because these are our children and we love them, and also because often our children may be like us or like other family members, so their 'oddness' is 'our normal'.

mummytime Thu 23-May-13 10:00:57

Girls are also much better at hiding it.
In your shoes I would contact my GP and get a referral (to a paediatrician).

Schools can't diagnose so saying "Autistic tendencies" or "Dyslexic tendencies" is about as strong as they can go.

What board are you referring to in your thread title?

greener2 Thu 23-May-13 13:09:12

Who is the 'board' made up of?

Do you have their names and their profession?

What are they meeting FOR exactly and WHEN are they meeting?

This is YOUR child. Get these answers. It is barbaric of them to be so vague and leave you so confused and worried.

mummytime Thu 23-May-13 13:25:24

It sounds a bit like when CAHMs diagnose. However they should have explained everything to you much more clearly.

Ds1 was referred to the CAMHS psyche by paeds and it was CAMHS who diagnosed, paeds don't generally deal with neurological issues.

Autism is a spectrum. Ds1s is on the spectrum but not severe and doesn't show many of the classic symptoms. ASD wasn't even suspected til recently as his eye contact is fantastic and he chats lots. His issues lie with empathy, social interactions and sensory problems.

mrsbaffled Thu 23-May-13 14:44:17

It is so different in our area! The paed will dx here. DS1 has been observed in school this week by paed. I don't think we will get any feedback before we see the paed again to do a big questionnaire thingy with her. I have asked SENCO to see if she can find out what's going on....I don't like being in the dark!

greener2 Thu 23-May-13 14:51:55

Blimey. That sounds stressful for you.

Though they do appear to be the people who could grant a dx.

MareeeyaDoloures Thu 23-May-13 16:53:04

Surely the board needs your input?

Is that what the CP is coming to your hosue for?

greener2 Fri 24-May-13 06:07:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now