Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Thick skin wanted

(5 Posts)
Hallybear79 Mon 20-May-13 17:08:40

Had a horrible experience at the supermarket today (or at least i thought so).My DS (5)was standing in the trolley & was being really good helping me load the conveyer belt with our shopping. He then told the checkout lady very proudly that "these are all our things", to which she just rolled her eyes at him. We were then trying to pack our bags & as usual our son was very enthusiastic & quite loud but still well behaved & all she kept saying was "oh my god! Is he always like this? To which my husband replied trying to make light of it "no hes pretty quiet when he's asleep". Then we had "does he ever stop?" "i bet they love him at school" "does he ever stop" " oh my god you've got your hands full." then looked at him like he was from a different planet. At this point my polite smile & calm exterior stopped & it took every bit of self control not to jump down her throat. My husband then paid. I just glared at her & pushed the trolley away. It really upset me. I know i'll hve 100's of these kind of experiences over the coming years & i'm sure many people have experienced worse but i just can't let go over my head. It was easier when he was younger as such behaviour was masked by his age but as he's getting older it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Sorry for rambling, just feeling sorry for myself sad.

ouryve Mon 20-May-13 17:09:38

Some people just don't know when to shut up.

ouryve Mon 20-May-13 17:11:07

I think anyone with a lively child would begin to get annoyed with the cashier if they went on and on about something for so long.

She's just a bitch. Honestly.

ds1 is loud and talks to random people in shops, 90% of them are just fine about it smile.

You were incredibly unlucky today with that assistant, try not to let it get to you.... she's most likely an ignorant bitch with every other customer too, regardless of age or neurological status.

brew

Hallybear79 Mon 20-May-13 17:51:04

I know. I think what made it worse was the fact that i was feeling proud of how well he was behaving. I don't normally take him shopping as it normally ends in meltdown. In sick kind of way i'd love to see her reaction to that then she'd really see how much of "a handful" a child with AS/ADHD is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now