Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

To apply for statutory assessment or not.

(44 Posts)
armani Wed 15-May-13 17:11:23

Dd is in yr2 dx with global learning difficulties and poss adhd. She is currently working on p levels 7-8, so significantly behind her peers. She has an IEP but hasn't progressed this year. School have put into place extra support such as an hour a week with a special needs trained ta, precision teaching for spellings etc and still dd is not making progress. School have ref to salt and ed psych but we are currently waiting to be assessed.

I am unsure if I should apply for SA now or wait for ed psych report. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

CheeseToasty Wed 15-May-13 18:19:24

Do you know how long you will be waiting for the ed psych? I was waiting a long time so eventually gave up and applied for sa. It is the quickest way to get to see one.

armani Wed 15-May-13 18:41:04

Was originally told the referral would be discussed at a meeting last Friday and then a few weeks from there, but have just found out today that the senco did not have the paperwork submitted in time so now the meeting will be in two weeks time.
I feel like time is passing us by and my daughters education is suffering as a result. It's so frustrating tbh.

CheeseToasty Wed 15-May-13 18:51:03

This is similar to my experience. If you are not even on a waiting list to see ed psych it could be quite some time till you see one. I came on here when i had the same question and was advised not to wait. Have you ever see salt? Do you have any reports to support your request. If you really feel she needs a statement I would say go for it.

armani Wed 15-May-13 19:02:21

Yes dd has been ref to salt 3 times. Each time she has been discharged due to her not engaging in the therapy sad I have the reports, with results from assessments etc but they have disclaimers written on them saying not to be used towards a statement of special educational needs.

CheeseToasty Wed 15-May-13 19:47:34

I am not as knowledgable as other on here but I have never come across disclaimers on reports?

CheeseToasty Wed 15-May-13 19:59:04

Just noticed I recently commented on another of your threads. You say that dd has been assessed by dev pead and ot. Have they written reports or offered advice?

rosielou678 Wed 15-May-13 20:03:58

Gosh I would love to know why there are such disclaimers on the reports! Are they LA/NHS reports or private ones?

armani Wed 15-May-13 20:26:17

Have seen dev pead once and they offered to liase with school about ref to EP, my next appt with the pead is not for another two months.
Assesment with OT is ongoing, so I could ask her at next appt.

The reports are NHS written by two different salts and both have disclaimers written on the front in bold.

armani Wed 15-May-13 20:30:21

Also I have report from pead which states dx of global learning difficulties, my concerns, OT initial assessment results and further action eg Connors questionnaires, to liase with school etc. can this be used as evidence to apply for SA?

BigBird69 Wed 15-May-13 20:38:48

My son is being assessed at the moment. To be honest, the worry of the whole thing is leaving me feeling constantly sick. If you are thinking of it I would say don't delay. It is taking a lot longer than I expected and is a lot more in depth and stressful than I could have imagined. Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear!! That said, he has had LOADS of assessments, but there is at least a six week delay between each stage, so I seem to be constantly be left hanging as to what is going to happen next. My advice would be to research as much as you can, get as many people on side as you can (believe me, you'll need it) and crack on. As I say, I don't know what the outcome for my little boy will be, it's horrible when his future and our our hopes for him depend on it. Good luck! xx

rosielou678 Wed 15-May-13 21:21:40

That is so shoddy that the NHS reports have that they can not be used for SA purposes. That basically means that in these reports they can say eg 'DC needs x, y and z therapy'. But when it comes to SA, they can deny these recommendations!

Why am I still surprised at the shoddiness of the SA 'system'!

2006hildy Wed 15-May-13 21:45:14

Go for it! it's the only way to get things moving. A year ago I was told absolutely not to an Ed Pysch meeting - we have had two so far this year!

I don't know what I am doing but everyone seems to be sitting up and taking note especially when they have a tribunal date to work to.

The LEA seem to take advantage of the vulnerable. I wish I had applied four years ago now but trusted all these so called experts. Now I trust Mumsnet as things definitely seem to be working once you set the wheels in motion.

We are at the same NC levels as you so borderline you only have to prove dc "probably needs" stat. ass. to win at tribunal.

They can only say no, as far as you take it. It doesn't have to cost a thing. You have nothing to loose apart from stress!

It depends on the timeline as well which would be quicker which I am no expert at sorry.

CheeseToasty Wed 15-May-13 22:18:39

I think the report from pead would be worth including with a letter requesting sa. I wonder if you could mention that salt report could not be included due to disclaimer. My ds in year 2 has some similar difficulties with higher nc levels and has a statement. I really would say go for it. It is a long process and even if started now extra support will not be in place till the end of year 3.

beautifulgirls Thu 16-May-13 09:35:39

Why not give IPSEA a call and ask about these disclaimers and the implications of them. It may be that they are meant to mean the report is not fully comprehensive and further assessment would be needed. If it means they can deny provision further down the line then that is not acting in the best interests of the child to not disclose things anyway so it may be that you are allowed to submit given that you will be requesting a full assessment of need in the statutory assessment process anyway. Professionals and the LA are supposed to make all information available not just those bits that support their case. Remember that the process is supposed to be about the child! (ha ha!)

BigBird69 Thu 16-May-13 13:00:26

Re disclaimers: They were on all of my son's from the hospital, salt etc. If it is worded the same way it says something like "not to be used without the express permission of the signatory". I basically phoned them up and asked for their permission, which they all gave, and when I sent them to the LA I said in my covering letter that I had got the permission. When and if they agree to assessment, they will write to the professionals involved with your child and ask for a report, which should summarise all the history of the previous reports etc.

armani Mon 20-May-13 13:47:07

update - i have met with OT today, who carried out an assessment of dd's fine and gross motor skills. This concluded that dd's motor skills are greatly delayed, at 0.5 percentile, so has advised me to apply for a statement on the basis that dd needs 1-2-1 support, due to her delayed motor skills. OT is providing me with a report to include in with the letter requesting SA.
Dd's school are still insisting we wait for EP to become involved, however I am going to apply now. Any advice would be greatly recieved.

nostoppingme Mon 20-May-13 14:22:11

Apply now. You can include school's EP report when your dd gets seen eventually....All the best!

kittycat68 Mon 20-May-13 17:49:31

have been to tribunal several times. I understand how you feel things are not moving quickly enough. the LA work on slow to dead slow!!!
I know ed physcs are over run with work within the la. The school is asking you to wait becasue they know how important the report is for tribunal. Getting a stat ass is not easiy you have to have overwhelming proffessional advice to get one. without an EP report you are unlikely to get a statement. If you apply for a statement it is down to you to provide ALL paperwork that will be considered.
For your information a private report usually costs around £2000 .
The school and LA do not have to give you any paperwork.
The school is asking you to wait because they know this. By all means contact IPSEA they are very good and knowledgeable. Also are you entitled to legal aid becasue you can get a free solicitor for help , although they wont represent you at tribual.

armani Mon 20-May-13 19:04:45

Hi kittycat and nostoppingme, thanks for the advice.
Kitty do u not think I should go ahead with the request for SA then? I have a written report from OT and Pead supporting my application for SA, I have also been liasing with an indi EP, who thinks I have a strong enough case to apply now. Indi EP has also agreed to assess and provide a written report if needed for tribunal.

Will the LA not consider my daughters needs based on evidence from a consultant pead and OT?

MareeeyaDoloures Mon 20-May-13 19:36:27

armani, you ought to be able to get a private ed psych report for much less than £2000. Shop around! Also School and LA are obliged to give copies of any paperwork they hold, it's called the data protection act. Legal aid is being cut back quite drastically, but ipsea and sos sen can signpost you to reasonable practitioners. Or you can use an 'advocate'.

School will need to get the ed psych to see her once you request SA (if they do SA she gets it automatically, and if planning to refuse SA they use an ed psych opinion to say no SA needed)

CheeseToasty Mon 20-May-13 19:39:09

I think it is probably true that Ep report would be useful but you could be waiting a long time for it. Ds nursery said they would get ep in... It never happened. At first IEP in reception the school agree to Ep request... It never happened. Eventually I gave up have way through year one and I applied for SA without Ep and got a statement. I did have a private salt report though. I also sent ot, slt and pead reports.

If you apply now and get turned down and you don't appeal you have a 6 month wait till you can apply again. Which in your case may not be too bad. It won't happen any quicker if you wait as you probably won't see Ep till next term.

armani Mon 20-May-13 19:56:27

Yes the EP I have been liasing with already has quoted me £500 for assessment and full report. I have a really good consultant pead on dd's case, who specialises in educational needs. I am also hoping LA EP will have assessed dd by the time it goes to tribunal, if not I will have the indi EP assess dd.
I really don't want to lose the 6 months if I can help it, as dd really does need this support.
Thanks for all the advice.

MareeeyaDoloures Mon 20-May-13 19:58:41

LA EP won't do as thorough a job as the indie EP. So be aware you might need both.

armani Mon 20-May-13 20:06:32

Yes that's not a problem if we need both. Although it is frustrating as the £500 could be spent on a course of hydro therapy to help ease the pain in dd's legs.
We have just been re ref to physio again so I will enquire about this on NHS.
I can't believe what a battle it is to get my dd some support to provide her with an adequate education.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now