Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Found this about girls with autism.

(36 Posts)
Ineedmorepatience Wed 08-May-13 15:14:50

The shutting down bit is very true for my dd, she will sit and pull her eyelashes out rather than stick up for herself, she can't. Then she sticks out even more with no eyelashes.

Dh is determined that she will move out when she is older but I can't see her managing.

Thanks for bumping it, really interesting.

Schmedz Wed 29-May-13 16:25:41

Hehe. Apparently my DD is going to live with me for the rest of her life!

lougle Tue 28-May-13 22:44:20

Very interesting. DD2 is always reminding me that 'I don't want to get married or have babies. I want to stay a girl and be your kid'.

Ineedmorepatience Tue 28-May-13 22:39:04

Bump

greener2 Tue 14-May-13 13:44:39

Thanks, it is still so hard to see as my dd doesn't have the interests or fixations as described. More that if she watches a film she will like to play it or maybe draw it for a day or so but then it moves on to something else. Also she would still play something else even if she is into that fad...

salondon Tue 14-May-13 13:41:08

I know how you feel geeandfeesmum. They will get there - with a lot of hard work and patience.

geeandfeesmum Tue 14-May-13 11:16:21

Fanjo and Salondon, my DD isn't high functioning. She is almost 6 years old, still in nappies and has only been able to speak (baby talk) since she was 4 years old. I know how you feel though, almost all of the articles and TV docs are about high functioning children.

This wasn't meant to sound defensive so please don't take it that way. I just wanted to point that DD isn't high functioning although this article does appear to be more about high functioning children.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 13-May-13 22:07:23

bump for greener smile

marchduck Fri 10-May-13 08:59:34

very interesting reading in both articles; thank you

Ineedmorepatience Thu 09-May-13 22:17:36

Funny you should say that about the numbers being the same unchartered at the support group I go to there is a fairly even split girls to boys and I have often wondered about it.

I think you are right about the girls being described as shy, I also think a big part is that girls often arent physically aggressive at school, when frustrated or anxious they seem to be more likely to shut down than lash out.

Consequently they are not causing anybody any trouble and therefore go unnoticed. Dd3 used to work extremely hard at being invisible at her old school but vented everything from the day on me within seconds of coming out of the classroom at 3.30sad

UnChartered Thu 09-May-13 20:21:15

that was really clumsily worded, i hope you get what i mean blush

UnChartered Thu 09-May-13 20:14:45

i found another article this week

here

i think eventually we will find that the number of boys/girls being DXd with ASD will be the same - from the few girls that i am aware of, there seems to be a higher ratio of classic autism than the boys i know, i wonder if this is because those who are verbal are 'explained away' as being shy etc?

IslaValargeone Thu 09-May-13 20:10:49

This is very interesting, it describes my 11 year old very accurately, although she is undiagnosed but 'odd'
We have an appointment with an OT for an assessment for sensory integration issues, but she is also very anxious and I'm wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Ineedmorepatience Thu 09-May-13 19:14:16

smile

autumnsmum Thu 09-May-13 18:42:47

Not offended at all

Ineedmorepatience Thu 09-May-13 17:52:38

Phew smile

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 09-May-13 17:52:02

Ineedmore..it hasn't at all, was just chatting smile

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 09-May-13 17:51:45

Mins is just starting to imitate a wee bit now and she is 6.5, so hang on in there smile

Ineedmorepatience Thu 09-May-13 17:50:06

Oh and autumnsmum, sorrysad

MummytoMog Thu 09-May-13 17:50:05

The pink related meltdowns are starting to get a bit opressive, she banged her head on the floor so hard the other night when we couldn't find exactly the right pair of knickers that she had an enormous blood blister surrounded by a giant bruise. In addition, DS has to wear blue, red or green. MiL put a pink bib on him once. Oh. God.

Although DH rang me at work to tell me she'd asked for an orange bowl for her lunch - halle-bleedin-lujah!

Ineedmorepatience Thu 09-May-13 17:49:25

fanjo and salondon I am sorry if the article has upset you sad It was never my intention to upset anyone.

I think one of the reasons that more able girls have been looked at is because so many of them slip through the net and dont get diagnosed until they either refuse to go to school or suffer mental health problems. I think a magazine like SEN which is read by SENCO's is a good platform to raise awareness about this group of girls.

autumnsmum Thu 09-May-13 16:47:23

My dd is 3yr 7 months

salondon Thu 09-May-13 16:38:14

Mine is 3y8m

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 09-May-13 16:27:24

how old are your DDs?

autumnsmum Thu 09-May-13 16:21:17

Fanjo and salon don your dds sound like my dd although she is verbal she is going to a ss and has never imitated a child in her life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now