Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

'Mum, my eyes keep getting drippy with water.'

(12 Posts)
lougle Mon 29-Apr-13 18:32:59

Said DD2. I asked if she meant she was crying?

She said 'No, I was worried that Stripes wouldn't win.' (Film, Racing Stripes).

So, I said 'so you were crying then?'

'No, my eyes were just dripping with water. It won't stop.'

What am I going to do with her? grin

PolterGoose Mon 29-Apr-13 18:42:24

I love your dd2 grin

Handywoman Mon 29-Apr-13 18:52:50

Oh love her

Maybe 'crying' is being hurt or cross, not sad, for your DD?

lougle Mon 29-Apr-13 20:27:42

I think you may be right, Ellen. She gets very anxious, and tends to cry when she's anxious or angry.

Bless her heart. She has a whole different language.

The poor child was sent home from school today, because her tummy hurt and she had a slight temperature. She skipped out of school and grinned at me, so I thought she was faking a bit. Of course, it doesn't help that the last school accused me of Fabricating. Tonight, she wouldn't eat dinner, so I took her temperature - 38.8c blush turns out she was telling the truth.

Trouble is, she doesn't seem ill when she is ill, and she tells me she's ill when she's just tired, etc. confused

zzzzz Mon 29-Apr-13 20:47:10

Just goes to show most of our "being ill actions" are actually learnt rather than "real".

I love the drippy eyes. How fascinating to watch her learn it all as a talking person. Write it down!

lougle Mon 29-Apr-13 20:57:59

It is fascinating, zzzzz. DD1's carer thinks that DD2 asks questions for effect, but I don't agree. I think she is genuinely trying to put pieces of a puzzle together without a picture to refer to.

For instance, yesterday my Mum and Dad came for dinner. Earlier in the day, they'd popped up for a quick visit with Dad's new toy helicopter. The girls loved watching it fly, etc. They went home, then came back later for the Sunday Roast.

DD2 was eating dinner, then she suddenly said 'Grandad, do you remember that you brought the aeroplane with you when you did that?'

Dad was of course flummoxed. I had to really think about what she was saying. Then I was able to piece it together. She was asking Dad if he remembered bringing the helicopter with him, just a few hours before, because she didn't know that the reason people forget what they did was because there is such a time gap between what they did and when they try to recall it, so they lose the detail of what day they did it, etc.

I had to explain to her that people don't generally forget something that they did only the same day. She just didn't know the difference.

Her 'camera' is absolutely zoomed in, also. She got so upset with me because I drew her a number line, according to her specification, but I didn't quite join the lines of the rectangle together in the corner. It was only a millimeter or so, but she said 'My number line at school doesn't look like that, because the lines join up.' She just couldn't accept it being even a teeny bit different.

MareeyaDolores Mon 29-Apr-13 21:03:05

Ds1 used to be so like your dd. Still the same underneath really, but he's learned to (mostly) mask it now, and that makes my life much less entertaining. So treasure it now!

It's like watching a tame anthropologist painstakingly discover your own language and culture grin

zzzzz Mon 29-Apr-13 21:04:14

grin ds2 often says things like "why are the full stops in some books diamonds and some circles?"

I love the super focused brain, without any idea of what to focus on!

MareeyaDolores Mon 29-Apr-13 21:04:41

She's just missing definition #1 on the long list of meanings for crying

lougle Mon 29-Apr-13 22:11:06

She's just cracked me up...she's so funny just now. She's woken, because her temp is high, so she's down with me. The Malteser Advert came on:

"Mummy..does that lady have a baby in her tummy?"
Yes.
"Oh, that's why it's sooooo fat."
Mmm.
"Ahh...are those called mini chocolate balls?"
No, they're Maltesers.
"Oh."

DH decides to treat her to some Maltesers.

"Ahh..now I've got the things I saw on TV." <starts munching>

She doesn't even know she's being funny grin

lougle Tue 30-Apr-13 07:16:35

She finally went to sleep at gone midnight, after a protracted negotiation over sleeping location.

She had a temperature of 38.9, but it was really interesting that she said "My brain thinks I've had something hot to eat, but I haven't. That's why I'm hot. My brain was tricked."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now