Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SAFMEDS for spellings: help please

(29 Posts)
MareeyaDolores Fri 26-Apr-13 21:51:53

Ok, have been looking this, but have hit an apparent hurdle....

How can I use a card with the word (correctly spelled) on it, without briefly reminding the dc of the spelling just in time to stop me working out whether or not they 'really' know the spelling? Are the safmeds cards for me when teaching spellings? Is it better to get the dc to spell it out, write it down, select the 'correct' card from a group or similar words?

Or do I need to make 'picture dictionary' flash cards with relevant drawings on one side and words on the other <aargh> <please say no>

MareeyaDolores Sat 27-Apr-13 00:11:37
zzzzz Sat 27-Apr-13 00:19:06

For moveable alphabet, old tiles and black marker pen does the job, as would paper cards. The more unusual the material the better for ds.

We do chalk on the floor for maths, so same idea but numbers written to answer "What's 12-4" etc. We tried the alphabet on A4 bits of paper taped to the floor but it wasn't robust enough. grin

I only purchase "real" kit if I am feeling despondent, as I am a sucker for stationary and new stuff. grin

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sat 27-Apr-13 01:50:09

I used to get DD to spell words on the patio in playground chalk.

Writing in a flat tray of sand can help too.

Both things I have done with DD and DS2. Successfully with DD, not so much with DS2. But his issues with writing are less 'sensory' and more 'physical', whereas DD was the other way round.

His issue is pain, hypermobile wrist, thumb & shoulder joints, and a lack of a writing slope at school...

Hopefully OT in two weeks will recommend it to school...again...

moondog Sat 27-Apr-13 08:54:49

Yes Maryeea
that is the Haughton learning matrix on the Precision Teaching wikihub, where the great and the good of the world of PT cluster. It's not terribly user friendly unfortunately but it is a goldmine.

PT has enabled my own child and many others to get further with reading, speliing, handwriting, maths and vocab learning than I would ever have dreamt possible a few years ago. It is one of life's great mysteries as to why it is relatively obscure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now