Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What sort of testing/games do they do in assessment with psychologist?

(10 Posts)
greener2 Thu 25-Apr-13 11:08:10

bumping for myself ;)

greener2 Wed 24-Apr-13 12:32:16

My initial reaction is she would shout at me but let the stranger do it if that makes sense.
I tried it by accident this morning. She was making a tree to put her bird cuddly in. It was out of pillows so I got the pillows with the bird on top and said its a rocket, 54321 blast off and blasted round the room.

She said no its not a rocket and did look like she was going to throw one and then she joined and blasted off. Not sure what I think about that.

Any more help appreciated.. The other thing I have really noticed with her is that she just doesn't seem to play. By this I mean she has toys like Barbie, cars, baby dolls and doesn't potter around playing much. She does play and can play but i'm unsure what's odd about it but something doesn't feel right.

I know she wants me to play with her all the time and when I say play with your soft toys she says "they wont answer they are not real" and I do think that's odd as when I was little although I knew my toys weren't real I had hours of fun playing with them, putting them in pretend classrooms, making zoos etc.

But then if it was bedtime and I said she could stop and play in her room a bit later for 10 mins she will happily be playing with her toys and I peep through to watch the play and its lovely. Confusing!

The adult will pretend and act like a child.

So if she wants to play a game with bathing babies, they'll start out like that, then the adult will put the pretend soap on the front of the bath, press it as if it were a button, and then the bath will take off for the moon.

How would she cope with that? Would she walk off, throw a tantrum or add more buttons to the bath and find an alien?

greener2 Tue 23-Apr-13 14:08:03

we do play board games btw but she is so competitive and wants to win although she used to have tantrums about this now is ok although may not want to play that game again if she lost it last time...

greener2 Tue 23-Apr-13 14:05:08

Oh I understand, could you please explain in layments terms a bit more. I didn't even think about this (with snap, good example!)
Its just her problem seems to lie with playing with other children, being controlling, getting angry and the paediatrician said to watch her playing with others to get an idea but I have no idea what I am looking for!

oh and with the snap, would they take an interest though in it if they have just turned 5?

Thanks!!

They usually know what they are doing. They will be assessing 'what' she choses, and probably interrupt her to see how she reacts or cheat and see if she notices.

Turn taking isn't just about doing what is required at the right time. For example in the game 'pairs' you need to take an active interest in what the 'other' person uncovers in order to use that information for your own gain. Children with ASD usually have their game then switch off until someone tells them it is their turn again.

greener2 Tue 23-Apr-13 13:41:12

Thanks, I am north Yorkshire.
What happens though with things like turn taking, she can and will take turns but when say her brother or people at school try to come into her game or something and she lashes out? Just wondering as they wont see this?

Also, her main problem is being controlling so if they let her dictate then again she will breeze it...

What age is she?

They'll be looking at things like turn taking, communication, eye contact, dexterity, understanding instructions, etc.

Depending on whether it's a formalised assessment or not the games may be quite rigid or they may just let her pick games and play in a relaxed manner.

Aspergers is no longer dx. If she is on the spectrum she'll get a dx of ASD most likely.

The process is different depending on area. If you say where you are roughly someone might be able to help.

greener2 Tue 23-Apr-13 13:13:02

Just wondering, my dd has an assessment at the child development centre in a few weeks, firstly the psychologist is coming to our house to speak to us at length then she my dd is to go into the hospital for an hour to play games? Just wondering in terms of maybe aspergers?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now