Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADHD - from birth or can it develop later?

(15 Posts)

Dd1 also a very very placid baby she has a dx of adhd

magso Sun 21-Apr-13 22:57:14

Ds was very passive as a young baby, but became very active and demanding as he (slowly) developed, especially once mobile. He was dxed ADHD at 5 and autism (with learning disability) a little later. I think it just took a year or two for him to tune into the world!

MareeyaDolores Sun 21-Apr-13 22:29:47

Perhaps he was so happy and calm as a baby because he was really, really good at daydreaming wink

BallyGoBackwards Sun 21-Apr-13 15:14:42

My DS was also a happy non demanding baby. Slept brilliant. Like some of the others his attention span only came to light once he started school.

I asked for him to be referred as I thought he may be dyslexic as both of my sisters have DC with that. I was surprised when he was diagnosed ADHD (inattentive type) as he didnt present with what I thought were the "normal" traits for ADHD.

MadameSin Sun 21-Apr-13 13:06:49

My ds almost 10 and dx of ADHD ... wonderful baby, but cried loads and very demanding. No bells ringing till toddlerhood. Nursery pointed out his inability to sit or listen for even the shortest of periods. It all really came to light when he started school, year 1 was the clincher. Polter, my ds has never seen an OT, only devt. paed??

Maryz Sun 21-Apr-13 00:49:46

I don't think it develops later. But it can become an issue later.

ds2 has just been diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 14. He was always very active, but because he was very bright and because I managed him well (having had ds1 with AS, I was much more relaxed and "guided" ds2 rather than punishing him, which accidentally was the type of discipline that worked) he got away with the over-activity for a long time.

He was a very happy baby, by the way. It was only in school that his attention span and activity levels are a problem.

toffeelolly Sun 21-Apr-13 00:32:13

My ds1 was the best baby, calm , everybody alway's said what a good baby we had. Was happy, ADHD was confirmed when he was just turning 5yrs, due to being very hyper and unable to sit down for long.

justaboutalittlefrazzled Sat 20-Apr-13 22:02:42

DS1 was also a very calm baby and has ADHD. I think it's not particularly relevant to diagnosis.

mrsbaffled Sat 20-Apr-13 13:19:30

Thank you x PM'd you x

PolterGoose Sat 20-Apr-13 13:09:56

That is appalling sad

If you PM me your email I can send you some info on a sensory programme ds did, could easily be done at home.

Have a look at The Asperger Children's Toolkit which is a workbook and covers sensory stuff. It is basic but quite well laid out.

mrsbaffled Sat 20-Apr-13 13:02:52

money (sorry for the poor spelling!)

mrsbaffled Sat 20-Apr-13 13:02:07

highly, even

mrsbaffled Sat 20-Apr-13 13:01:48

No. Neither has DS1. He definitely has SPD. We were just given a pack of flow charts to work through and pick some exercises to do. Hight scientific NOT! No moent to actually see an OT in our area sad

PolterGoose Sat 20-Apr-13 12:59:03

Sensory Processing Disorder can present with very similar behaviours to ADHD. Has ds seen an OT?

mrsbaffled Sat 20-Apr-13 12:50:32

Just wondered really.
DS2 was Dx with Tourettes a couple of weeks ago and they look for co-morbidities. He has OCD tendencies. Many DCs with TS also have ADHD.

He is VERY active all the time, but can usually sit still in school and concentrate when he needs to. But not all the time. I don't think he has ADHD, particularly as he was the calmest, most peceful baby ever. So I was wondering whether an ADHD child shows signs from birth, or can it develop?

I know DS1 (suspected AS) has always seemed 'different', but DS2 hasn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now