Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone been down camhs route for dx at a young age

(5 Posts)

Hi all dd2 is 3.8 amd currently I have meetings with a camhs worker about dds ishooes. Well this morning was crunch day amd I told her that things cannot go on and nursery have also stated we need help and its more than just anxiety. Camhs are going to discuss her at their team meeting withe pyschiatrists etc next week. I've stated that I don't want to be shunted back to the pead at the CdC who shunted us to camhs in the first place so looking likely Any assessments that need to be done will be done at camhs.

Dd saw OT this week who said sensory issues and trouble crossing the midline.

So do camhs assess for ASD in house at this young age?
Many thanks

Ineedmorepatience Thu 18-Apr-13 11:13:01

Dont know sorry, Dd3 was 8 by the time we got to CAMHS.

Hope somebody comes along who can help you more than me.

Good luck, whatever happenssmile

Thanks ineed, we initially got booted to camhs as pead thought was just anxiety as wasn't very helpful. Camhs now say more than anxiety (which is what we've been saying all along!) and we have said well we don't want to go back to pead as they were pretty bloody useless!

My friends boy is having some sort of Assessment under camhs but he's 9 yrs old. I understand they prob do things different to a pead/CDC and it may not be an ados test it may be something else. We are in devon if it helps

crazeelaydee Thu 18-Apr-13 11:34:59

Hello stressedtothehilt My Ds wasn't diagnosed until 8. In our area he is involved with CAMHS school age service and during our last appointment they did say they would not of seen Ds before the age of 5 (which obviously makes sense due to it being called school age), but my nephew who is 4 has been involved with CAMHS (think it was called pre-school services??) for over 12 months poss ADHD, he has been on a 'pilot' scheme with them in which a clinical psychologist came out and spent x amount of weeks with mum, then mum and nephew, then mum-nephew-and siblings. Even though my sister has filled out questionnaires similar to what we did with Ds there has been no mention of actually going for a diagnosis yet they haven't discharged him so that says something. He will turn 5 in the next 6 months so whether he is being monitored until then, and a diagnosis follows I'm not sure. She is due to go for an appointment in a couple of weeks so will update if they mention an assessment.

That's fab thanks crazee, when I attended camhs with DD1 I did ask if they saw younger kids then and camhs confirmed they saw them as young as 3 so hopefully they will make an exception (praying!) and see her for diagnostic reasons! Camhs admitted to me today that there seems to be a loophole where we live for young ADHD and HFA kids as they don't seem to fit in to any particular services, they don't fit in at CdC as that's more for severe disabilities and they're rarely seen at camhs so young so really they have nowhere to go and aren't seen to later on in school life

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now