Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Looking for recommendations for Private SALT in Bucks/Berks/Oxfordshire

(8 Posts)
kyz1981 Thu 18-Apr-13 10:50:47

Hi I am looking for a good private SALT and would welcome any recommendations,They must use evidence based practice, be open to ABA - as we may start a program up, and we use some techniques now and they must also have a good understanding of sensory issues and auiditory processing issues. would really love it if anyone has anyone they can recommend -we are in bucks but very close to Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders. I have looked at a few but would prefer a recommendation, My DS is 2 has ASD/Lang disorder and sensory difficulties- he also has some feeding difficulties as he has low tone.

thanks

iAutism Thu 18-Apr-13 12:46:08

Hi,

You can look in the - Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice

www.helpwithtalking.com/find-a-therapist

I would email all round your area with your requirements. Also ask about cost and how much time they spend with the child. How well have they worked well in the area you are looking for.

We did have a look but decided against it. Instead got the US Baby Babble DVD which was excellent!

Autism Resource Centre - Early Intervention
Meetup.com/AutismUK

Rgs

iAutism Thu 18-Apr-13 12:51:22

Hi,

You can look in the - Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice

www.helpwithtalking.com/find-a-therapist

I would email all round your area with your requirements. Also ask about cost and how much time they spend with the child. How well have they worked well in the area you are looking for.

We did have a look but decided against it. Instead got the US Baby Babble DVD which was excellent!

Autism Resource Centre - Early Intervention
www.Meetup.com/AutismUK

Rgs

kyz1981 Thu 18-Apr-13 13:29:19

Thanks I have looked there but they all say similar things in terms of experience and what they can work with - I have tried a few however I have always by far had the best experience and confidence in ones that have been recommended through other parents- If I cant find one though a recommendation then I will start the process of emailing a few.

moondog Thu 18-Apr-13 14:52:43

Kys, I'm an s/lt who also has an MSc in ABA. ABA and EBP is at the core of all I do in my work with children with SEN.Unfortunately, there are very few s/lts about in the UK who use and understand ABA-more's the pity.

kyz1981 Thu 18-Apr-13 15:30:00

Moondog your not in the bucks area i take it?

Is there any websites that I can use to get someone who understands speech & Language -( with feeding issues and dribbling - due to low tone) and ABA based techniques that I could use to work with my ds, they don't have to be a SALT but would need a very good understanding of developmental speech and language difficulties- looking for someone twice a month maybe more funds allowing.

moondog Thu 18-Apr-13 15:49:55

No I'm not and I don't work (much) privately either.
If any people like that are about, they're probably posting here and there aren't many. Barely a handful on the UK.
I know Risca Solomon whose website is here and rate her, a behaviour analyst with a particular interest in sppech, language and feeding issues very highly. She also has an s/lt business partner. Various posters here on MN have worked with her. She is based in West Wales however.

kyz1981 Thu 18-Apr-13 18:07:57

Thanks that's a great link - Think I am going to attend the Autism show in London so I will make a bee line for them there and see what they say - as if all else fails may find someone locally that would be willing to be trained by them or even do a week there if nothing else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now