Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do you reconcile ASD, agency and ABA?

(129 Posts)
HotheadPaisan Mon 01-Apr-13 13:22:50

Having a real dilemma about medication and all sorts atm. A lot of DS1's thought patterns and behaviour make perfect, logical sense and if he was an adult you'd largely leave him to it, you'd pretty much have to actually, you cannot force people to be as you'd like. Also as he gets older I think some things will get easier irrespective of what we do or don't do but obviously it's all quite hard work now.

He needs help with anxiety/ fears but it's going to be hard to get him to engage with any strategies for these. All a bit chicken and egg and not the whole story anyway. Some things he avoids because he really doesn't enjoy them but of course I want to keep his options open and keep trying to expose him to new experiences.

I hate being told what to do and how to be but am generally sociable and get on in life, and I think he will be similar. We continue to plug away at helping him express himself more appropriately and to compromise and understand what others want and why it matters to accept that. Not sure where I'm going with this but just wonder how others reconcile trying to change them with letting them be, a bit.

Yes it is Boch, but that is his safety-net so probably of all the things you could get arsey about that might have to be one of the top ones.

Social Services calling you on trying to get a strategy in place for enabling ds to access school/reduce anxiety - really?

I suppose your best defense then would to make a written demand request from the outset. You will be able to clearly outline the reasons and point to the fact that it is a well-accepted strategy. You will also get a good understanding of the school and their ability/willingness to work with you from your reply. Make it clear it is a PREVENTATIVE as well as an EARLY INTERVENTION.

All of ds' previous schools would have said 'Let's see how he gets on first and if we think he is getting anxious then we'll arrange for him to see the school nurse/counsellor'. Far to late at that point.

bochead Fri 05-Apr-13 20:33:23

I suppose I'm just trying to warn others that you can work your butt off with the child to get them to a point where they can actually express their needs, only to realise that yet another mountain awaits you. The child is only part of the story.

It's a large part of why I'm personally so excited by the move to "outcomes" as expressed in the new plans for replacing statements. I'm hoping desperately it'll challenge this - 'Let's see how he gets on first and if we think he is getting anxious then we'll arrange for him to see the school nurse/counsellor'. Far to late at that point." mentality at source, so that perhaps us parents won't have to?

As a point of interest I'd love to see a national survey of how many 1:1 TA's have seen their child's statement, much less their SALT or OT targets etc.

justaboutalittlefrazzled Sat 06-Apr-13 19:50:58

Actually now I've written it I don't know if it IS relevant. But here's my needy rant seeking sympathy and potentially advice....

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs_chat/1725836-And-once-more-into-the-breach-my-friends

justaboutalittlefrazzled Sat 06-Apr-13 19:51:15

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now