Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Warning changes to Legoland exit passes!!

(62 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 29-Mar-13 12:16:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wasuup3000 Fri 29-Mar-13 12:31:50

Yep They are doing that at Drayton Manor as well 10 rides.

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 29-Mar-13 12:53:16

nannynick Fri 29-Mar-13 12:53:26

Is it like the RAP card that Chessington have used for several years?

Inappropriatelyemployed Fri 29-Mar-13 13:13:58

So if you can't access rides without the exit pass, what are you going to do? It means you are not able to access the park in the same way as an able bodies customer but you still have to pay full price.

I think it is a bit low to be honest. First MMW stop providing complimentary tickets on some spurious argument about an increase in applicants (which they have never clarified when I have questioned) even though they are funded by the massively wealthy Merlin Ents, no doubt as a tax relief against their corporate profits. Then they limit the rides people with disabilities can go on.

I know that giving away free tickets is a ex gratia gesture for which we can all be grateful but this is not a little charity which has to fundraise. It's funded by a multinational corporation and I just don't believe their assertions.

This just makes it look like customers with disabilities are not welcome.

Awomansworth Fri 29-Mar-13 13:40:39

When did this change... NT dts1 has been badgering us for months now, and we were considering a visit when we were visiting family down south next week.

I've just checked the website and the terms and conditions do state up to 10 rides only can be used with the pass... we won't be going if this is the case as dts2 (ASD) would not be able to access more than 10 rides, and frankly I'm not happy with this policy, just doesn't sit right with me.

http://www.legoland.co.uk/Plan/Guests-With-Disabilities/

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 29-Mar-13 13:53:12

silverfrog Fri 29-Mar-13 14:25:42

That is pretty shocking tbh. Maybe they are basing it on the 'average' number of rides that a typical visitor manages in a day?

I knew they had changed it to being a pre-registered service, and the chessington style pass, where a time is noted and before that time you cannot go on any other major rides (but can go on the smaller ones) was used last year.

We didn't renew our passes this year - dh needs a fairly major op which will restrict our days out for most of the season, and a faff with baby ds as well, but we have had premium annual family passes for years now. Not anymore, it seems.

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 29-Mar-13 14:39:24

Icedcakeandflower Fri 29-Mar-13 14:39:35

I haven't personally been to Legoland although ds has been with friends many times.

At a local theme park, Paulton's Park, each disabled child is given an exit folder so that you may access each ride ONCE. However each disabled child in the party is given an exit folder, so there is nothing to stop you using one folder at a time, giving the party two goes on each ride. Hope that makes sense.

Could something like this be done, assuming there is more than one disabled child in the party?

I'm beginning to think that I need to be a bit more proactive about this stuff. I've booked a themepark, and paid for fast passes to accomodate ds (asd) - dismissed applying for the RAP as we don't have a blue badge. Maybe I need to actually not just try to cope, and do stuff like this to make life easier.
Anyway, sorry. That is a bit pants.

CwtchesAndCuddles Fri 29-Mar-13 15:00:25

The last time we went to Legoland and had ride access passes we didn't go on more than 10 rides the whole day so I don't think it will make a huge difference to us. We have bought Merlin passes this year and will have a few visits there but not all full days.

They do seem to be making it much more difficult to get a ride access pass this year.

nannynick Fri 29-Mar-13 17:31:16

Being local to Legoland, only go for a few hours... so unlikely to do 10 rides. However condition 8 I do wonder about:

Legoland RAP T&Cs
"Guests with Ride Access Passes may only ride each ride once within an hour."

So does that mean no return to the same ride within an hour - which I feel is reasonable.
Or does it mean no going on ANY ride within an hour - which is unreasonable, given that some rides are very short and may have short / fast moving queues.
Rides like Atlantis have a fast moving queue as the ride is constantly moving, so on a non peak day it may not be worth using the RAP if the child concerned will queue for a few minutes without causing too much trouble - there is always a bit of a queue for Atlantis anyway once inside the building.

If it is only one ride an hour, then are they trying to make people stay in park longer... and thus spend money (on coffee in my case).

lougle Fri 29-Mar-13 18:59:25

I read that as each ride once, per hour. So, if you can access 10 rides and it takes you 4 minutes to get from one ride to the other, 2 minutes on the ride itself, then you should able to access the first ride back at the beginning by the time you reach the last ride.

However, if they are also implementing only 10 rides, then in effect, you'd only be able to go for an hour.

Inappropriatelyemployed Fri 29-Mar-13 20:57:39

May be raise any concerns directly with the CEO Nick.Varney@merlinentertainments.biz

Anonanonuk Fri 29-Mar-13 21:27:32

Have a look at Legoland's facebook site, there is also a thread on there with people complaining about the new Exit Pass policy.

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 29-Mar-13 21:42:55

wasuup3000 Fri 29-Mar-13 21:58:05

My lot love Alton Towers if they did this there then I'd think I'd be giving them a sickie off in term time as can do without additional stress...

Inappropriatelyemployed Fri 29-Mar-13 22:23:13

Perhaps copy Lego in too. This can't be good for their brand.

I put up with the nasty, expensive, corporate greed of this place because my son adores Lego. It just annoys me. He has no friends at school. Socially, things just ge tougher as he gets older and he struggles to feel positive about himself. But he loves Lego and feels like an expert and he loves Legoland.

We have spent thousands over the years on Lego sets for Christmas and Birthdays and trips to Legoland.

But you just feel that they take the devotion of these young children ( and there seems to be something particularly attractive about Lego to children with autism) and fleece them.

Lego wake up to this!

lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 30-Mar-13 08:05:23

Anonanonuk Sat 30-Mar-13 09:19:07

Yes unfortunately there is a similar attitude from some parents of non disabled children now on Legoland facebook wanting it to be fair for all children ie non disabled get on up to 10 rides so special needs children should only get on 10 as well. Well I wish life was fair for all children but for some disabled children it certainly is not. Unfortunately the world is not very geared up for the needs of disabled children. Try taking a disabled child in a wheelchair to: a local playground - you can't as play equipment is not accessible to wheelchairs, shops - many not accessible still to wheelchairs, cinema - wheelchair spaces in worst part of seating usually right next to the screen, swimming - most places don't have disabled changing rooms with change beds and hoists, play schemes - if they even want to take your child you get charged three times as much, to go to the toilet in a public place - can't as nowhere has a change table and hoists for older children so your child will have to be permanently in nappies., .... Legoland was a place we could take our physically and mentally disabled child without much hassle and have a fantastic time. Unfortunately Legoland (and many other theme parks) are now putting more conditions on Exit Passes and reducing the rides suitable for wheelchair users eg. At Legoland The Dragon used to be accessible to the disabled but now anyone who can't walk can not go on it anymore. Having looked at the planning application for the new Duplo area, again I could see little of the play equipment being wheelchair accessible. So I just don't understand why some parents of non disabled children think that special needs children should only have the same rights as non disabled children when Legoland might be the only place a special needs child can visit because of their disabilities. Why do some parents of non disabled children begrudge special needs families because they might get a slight advantage by having an Exit Pass and in the past might get on slightly more rides than them. Perhaps they should try life with a disabled child and see what difficulties life then throws at them.

Inappropriatelyemployed Sat 30-Mar-13 10:26:28

The essence of equality is that some people need special exemptions/advantages to make them equal.

This is what are laws are built on.

The fact is that treating everyone the same, means placing some people at a disadvantage. Its about equality of outcome.

The fact that raising this has resulted in some parents expressing views which demonstrate a very limiting understanding of the purpose of the exit pass in equality terms shows how damaging and unhelpful the move is.

Well done Merlin Ents. Do you even have an inclusion officer?

Inappropriatelyemployed Sat 30-Mar-13 10:27:03

Should be 'our laws' not are laws, obv.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 30-Mar-13 10:32:29

Anonanonuk Sat 30-Mar-13 10:42:54

I would suggest people put their views on the new Exit pass policy on the threads on the Legoland facebook as Legoland customer services do read their facebook site.

Might be worth also commenting on the Merlin Annual Pass facebook site as well as I haven't seen a thread about it on there yet so many Merlin Pass holders may not yet be aware of the Legoland changes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now