Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Advice for first appointment with Psychology Early Intervention Clinic (ASD)

(4 Posts)
ouryve Wed 27-Mar-13 13:22:45

It's not about whether they will take you seriously and more about the availability of sensory OT, unfortunately.

tacal Tue 26-Mar-13 22:34:45

thanks ouryve, I think I am prepared with notes about his history and current behaviour. I have printed a sensory processing checklist which I will take with me. It's good to know in advance they might not take me seriously about the sensory issues. My copy of The out of sync child arrived today so I can do some more reading about it before my appointment. Thanks again x

ouryve Tue 26-Mar-13 20:13:35

I'm expecting you'll be asked a lot of questions about his history and current behaviour and what he does or doesn't respond to. It's hard to say exactly, since te structure o the diagnostic process varies so much between areas and even between children.

If there are sensory issues, ask for OT involvement, too. You may get proverbially laughed at or put on a waiting list for a waiting list, but it never hurts to ask.

tacal Tue 26-Mar-13 12:52:44

Hi all,

Thank you so much to all of you who have given me advice so far. It has helped me get to this point, where we are about to have our first appointments with some of the departments at the multi disciplinary clinic.

Tomorrow we are attending the drop in clinic for Psychology Early Intervention. I am starting to worry about this, not sure what they will want to know and how they can help me. Does any one have any advice about this? DS is 4 and has been referred because he has some ASD type behaviour and I am also noticing sensory issues.

Speech and Language have also been in touch. They are coming to our house to watch DS eat his lunch (April). They want to rule our physical problems. I suspect it is a textures issue but am pleased they will be checking for other things.

I have also received a letter saying the educational psychologist will be in touch soon.

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and worried about seeing all these people.
Also, ds is going through a good phase displaying hardly any of his problem behaviours. But some are still there, the echolalia, sensory, anxiety about going into nursery.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now