Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Vent needed according to portage I'm rigid!

(12 Posts)
autumnsmum Fri 22-Mar-13 10:53:57

Hello everyone want to scream ! As you prob all know dd 3.5 is being statemented for autism . The staff at her nursery , the ed psych and a paediatrician have all said she needs ss .Portage worker initially agreed but now says she needs mainstream for role models and apparently I'm rigid for turning down pursuing a place at a resource provision and wanting ss. I'm perfectly willing for dd to do a split seems placement in the future but at the moment she needs ss I could cry I really could sorry for whine!

ouryve Fri 22-Mar-13 11:16:22

This has probably been asked before, but have you visited the resource?

autumnsmum Fri 22-Mar-13 11:27:43

Perfectly reasonable question I have visited resource and special school

How's her imitation? I was told this crap about mainstream models, but as ds1 couldn't imitate until he was 8 mainstream kids weren't doing any sort of modelling. They were just being noisy and overwhelming.

(Wish I'd thought of that argument - about lack of imitation ability - at the time grin )

PolterGoose Fri 22-Mar-13 12:44:41

That is such a good point jimjams my HF ds who is nearly 10 has no desire to imitate other children (despite many professionals over the years discussing 'peer pressure' and 'role models') on the whole the other children are an irritant which occasionally serves his needs confused

You're rigid!?

Good. And so you must be. Unwavering about securing the provision to meet your child's needs is the ONLY way you can morally and ethically due your duty as the LAW requires you to.

YOU are responsible for your child and in accepting an unsuitable placement you are not taking your parenting role seriously.

Next time anyone accuses you of being rigid, tell them you'd rather be rigid than a chocolate fucking teapot!

moondog Fri 22-Mar-13 13:25:06

Autumn, welcome to a life of lots of different people telling you to do lots of different things.
It's hard and confusing.
You however always have a choice.
Take your time, weigh up the options, ask lots of questions and then make up your mind.
I see parents make choices that I think are right for their children and ones that I think are worng for them.
Who am I to say though?
It's about what work for them and their child at that moment in time.

zzzzz Fri 22-Mar-13 14:16:02

I should carry on being "rigid" if it means refusing to settle for inappropriate provision.

Let it burn your soul a little it will fuel the rage needed to deal with the fuckwittage that is rife among "professionals".

Sorry a wee bit of projection going on there, it has not been a good week at House of zeds .

HONK HONK

Crawling Fri 22-Mar-13 14:24:16

oh autumnsmum im so sorry you are having all these problems so Portage has now stopped pushing a unit and gone straight to pushing ms school. You poor thing I remember every Portage visit id be fuming.

autumnsmum Fri 22-Mar-13 14:57:07

Thank you everyone the thing is I'm not asking for the moon I just want her to go to the local ss .To be fair all the other professionals dealing with her have been fantastic

autumnsmum Fri 22-Mar-13 15:15:57

Thanks crawling she's pushing a unit in a ms in which dd would spend part of the day in a mainstream classroom and part of the day in a mixed age group room with other children with autism

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now