Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

School keeping a behaviour diary

(4 Posts)

Thanks, I have parents evening after school so will definitely question it. I don't mind them doing it as its good to see them also picking up on it at school but like you say I should be told especially as I'm in every day talking about one thing or another.

bigbluebus Tue 19-Mar-13 11:29:25

It was the evidence that school collected that got my DS his statement. They even videoed him having one of his 'episodes' of non co-operation and defiance.
DS was academically very able, fairly independent and has few/no sensory issues, so without the school's evidence, he would not have been.
statemented.

I do think the school should have discussed what they were doing with you though, just to keep you in the loop.

Did you speak to his teacher or SENCO after reading this about DS?.

Re them trying to get him statemented, I would actually now consider making the request yourself. This is also because schools can sit on such apps for ages and not do anything. Also if the LEA turn down your request for statutory assessment you can appeal, school cannot do that.

IPSEA's website is good re the statementing process and there are model letters you can use:-

www.ipsea.org.uk

You are your child's best - and only - advocate.

Hi

I went into school today to drop DS off and there was an exercise book on the TA's table where I was stood talking to her about maths work for him.

I picked it up and flicked to the first page and it was writing about a tantrum he'd had.

They are trying to get him statemented so I'm hoping that this is something to help that but I am a bit miffed that there have been these incidents and they haven't told me hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now