Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Moose here - again. Following on from my epilepsy thread.

(639 Posts)
moosemama Thu 14-Mar-13 16:45:40

Hi folks, we were up to 995 posts, so I thought I'd better start a new thread

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sat 27-Apr-13 12:46:14

Lost a massive post. Bums. Will rewrite it later.

Finding out that the HT has reported me to SS no less than 3 times in the last 5 years is a bit off-putting. I have to send my DC's to a school where I don't trust the staff.

Also I think SS want a full psych eval done on me.

This is definitely FII they're looking at, I'm sure, even though they haven't stated this. They all agree that I do not neglect my DC's, they're well fed etc.

It seemed like the only person even slightly 'on my side' was the chief medical nurse who I've never seen or met before.

She was the one who asked for a break for me (HT refused), she was the one who went to the toilet with me and reassured me in there, she was the one who challenged the HT to define what he meant by saying DS2 was 'quirky', she was the one who was shocked that I had never been told that DD has MLD, she was the one who asked the SEN lady to 'quantify' DD's specific learning difficulties, and took notes when the SEN lady was unable to quantify her MLD's, she was the one that is pushing for a full paediatric assessment on DD.

At least it seems like one person is on my side!!

LeonieDelt Sat 27-Apr-13 14:13:06

tbh I'd be seeking legal advice at this point.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sat 27-Apr-13 15:02:14

Where from? No money, no legal aid...

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sat 27-Apr-13 15:03:07

(Genuinely asking for suggestions of where to go for legal advice here. Preferably someone experienced in FII cases) PM me answers...

LeonieDelt Sat 27-Apr-13 16:31:27

Childrens law centre are the ones i phoned almost daily, iirc...

LeonieDelt Sat 27-Apr-13 16:32:12

no, childrens legal centre www.childrenslegalcentre.com/ iirc

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sat 27-Apr-13 16:33:18

Oh. Them. It's not so bad if you are from another LA. They are still in Essex...

LeonieDelt Sat 27-Apr-13 17:00:35

oh. but maybe they can advise?

NoHaudinMaWheest Sat 27-Apr-13 21:38:30

There's the Disability Law Service as well since disability yours and DCs are the issue.

Or Disabled Parents Network used to have a service for parents who were having difficulty with SS because of their own disabilities not sure if they still do. Their helpline is 0300 3300 639

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 28-Apr-13 08:43:03

Thank you. Will give some of these a try for advice on Monday.

LeonieDelt Sun 28-Apr-13 08:48:27

Contact a Family - they seem very well informed about ALL sorts - and if they dont know, they can point you to whomever does.

LeonieDelt Sun 28-Apr-13 08:51:43
LeonieDelt Sun 28-Apr-13 08:52:05
LeonieDelt Sun 28-Apr-13 09:24:29

this flowchart on pages 19-20-etc is interesting

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Mon 29-Apr-13 11:56:54

Children's Legal Centre are going to take the case on. Thank you for the recommendation. thanks

They are going to ring me back to arrange an appointment for me to go in and see someone face to face. Helps that it's actually local ish to me. Just got to find a lift there!

I have a busy few weeks -

30th April Physio Review for DS2.

2nd May GP about 'other' psychotherapist for me.

3rd May HV for DS3.

7th May Family Support Worker from the DS's Primary School.

8th May Orthotics assessment for orthotic insoles for DS2.

13th May SenCo at DD's Secondary.

14th May Trainee SW at home.

15th May Dietician for DS3.

<<Phew>>

And that's without any additional appointments that may get booked!!

Stressed, upset, watching every word I say to people, just nodding and smiling tbh.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Mon 29-Apr-13 12:10:11

If anyone's got any ideas on how to approach the SenCo meeting about DD, it would be appreciated.

I want to know why it's taken 15 years for someone to say that DD has 'moderate Learning Difficulties'.

Do they mean the 'technical' definition of Moderate LD's, someone with an IQ of between 50 and 70, or if they mean something else.

I want them to quantify DD's specific areas of difficulty, and to tell me what they are doing to support her, and what I can do to support her.

I want to know if ALL her teachers know that she is meant to get a scribe and 25% extra time in both her exams and her Controlled Assessments.

I want to know if she is meant to be getting the same differentiation in her class work as I thought that the additional help in exams & CA's was only meant to be given if it is the SAME help that they are giving every day in class. Has that changed?

I want to know what they suggest for post-16 education for DD, and how the heckity I go about sorting that out.

As our LA says that Secondary DC's don't have IEP's any more, how do I know what her current targets are, and how long they expect her to take to meet those targets.

Why are the instructions to her teachers to ensure that her homework is written down in an understandable way in her planner NOT being stuck to?

How can we approach the Catering teacher to get her to plan lessons better so that I don't only get 24hrs notice of needing ingredients - her 'proper' Catering teacher (who is on Mat Leave) was excellent at taking these things into consideration - would it be possible to somehow broach the subject with her?

Also, the Catering teacher seems to get very impatient with DD and tries to rush her - which isn't conducive to DD doing well in that lesson. The teacher tells her off for being too slow - but DD can't help being slow.

Standing behind her barking 'meat, pasta, sauce. Meat, pasta, sauce' is not going to help her to make her lasagne any quicker - she knew what to do, she just happened to be doing it slower than the other pupils. Because she isn't as quick as the other pupils...

Sooo, anything I might have missed?!

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Mon 29-Apr-13 12:11:07

The main dx I had for DD up till now was 'GDD'. Which all of a sudden is 'moderate LD's'...

LeonieDelt Mon 29-Apr-13 14:34:42

I am so glad someone is going to help you couthy. I felt so bad thinking you were having to face all that shit, all those implications, all by yourself....

LeonieDelt Mon 29-Apr-13 14:35:24

you.might want a new theead on the senco stuff. get starlight and inappropriately and claw on it.

Sorry to hijack, my DS is on Epilim to control absence seizures. He had a 5 week rising dose and has been on full dose since Friday. Should his seizures have stopped by now, or will it be a while yet? He's still having several a day, and I don't know if that means the medicine doesn't work, or if I should give it more time.
Anyone here got any advice on this sort of thing?

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Mon 29-Apr-13 16:05:14

I'd give it two weeks at full dose, then ask for him to be seen tbh. You have to give the meds a chance to work at full dose first - and what they have decided is his current full dose may not actually be the maximum full dose for his age/weight.

If there's no improvement in a week I would ring the Neuro to get medical advice, see what they say, to put your mind at rest.

Thanks, that's set my mind at rest for now. He's on a school residential this week, I was hoping he'd be under control for it, so a bit disappointed for him on that score.
He's been great about his medicine, he's 11, and taught himself to take tablets so he could have his meds prepared for going away.
He did have a follow-up appointment at hospital but I had to reschedule as it was in SATs weekblush. Fingers crossed the new appointment won't be too long after.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Mon 29-Apr-13 17:42:20

Oh god, SATS...<<Shudder>>. DS1 is in Y6. Say no more!!

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Tue 30-Apr-13 20:18:09

Bad day. Not SS. So-called friends. Now EX friends. Will explain later. Am shocked, trying to take in how two faced people can be, and also how evil some people can get to attempt to 'prove a point'. In a way that makes a toddler ILL.

For now, all I can say is that there really are some sick fucks in this world.

I'm taking a guess that they disbelieved a child's allergy and fed said child a banned food to see what would happenhmm.
Someone tried that with DS when he was little, he swelled up within seconds and the dumbass adult tried to backpedal furiously but had been seen by lots of other people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now