Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ds tried liquorice today [shock]

(26 Posts)
PolterGoose Wed 06-Mar-13 23:47:03

My ds has huge issues with food and survives on a very limited diet. Today at the Alert programme they did tasting. He only tasted things he already eats (bread, sweet and chocolate) and then he was intrigued by some traditional liquorice things, he picked one up, had a good look and a squish, he licked it, licked again, smelt it and took a tiny nibble, he hated it, but he tried grin

In fact he hated it so much that he ate a piece of apple which he declared he hadn't eaten since Y3 (he is now Y5!) and decided he now likes apple.

He was so shocked that it didn't kill him or make him vomit that he has agreed to try 11 new (or previously liked and then refused) foods at the weekend shock

HotheadPaisan Thu 07-Mar-13 00:00:03

Wow, that's brilliant! I saw you discussing the Alert program, we finally have some OT on the cards, will look that up.

PolterGoose Thu 07-Mar-13 10:24:20

Thanks Hothead TBH it was such a major leap it took me all day for it to register. Am so used to him not doing anything new, and being so rigid in his behaviours, it sort of almost passed me by blush

silverfrog Thu 07-Mar-13 10:27:14

Blimey, what a huge advance. Well done mini-Polter.

Why 11 new foods, btw? how did he get to that number?

PolterGoose Thu 07-Mar-13 10:35:27

He decided on 10, I honestly don't know why, which had to represent the full range of food groups he has learned at school, and then wanted to add a 'wild card' confused

silverfrog Thu 07-Mar-13 10:41:19

oh, I am sorry, but am grining at trying new/old but refused foods to represent all the food groups, and positively roaring at adding a 'wild card'

that is just so typically off-the-wall and 'will come around to trying thigns, but will do it in a way that will still confused you' - the very essence of ASD really.

PolterGoose Thu 07-Mar-13 10:46:44

Feel free to grin

lougle Thu 07-Mar-13 18:53:42

Hahahhaa a 'wildcard' when he chooses all 11 foods - love it!

TheNebulousBoojum Thu 07-Mar-13 19:00:51

grin

Now you'll have to come back and tell us what happened on Sunday night.

PolterGoose Thu 07-Mar-13 19:11:30

We are talking about a child who lives on bread (in various forms) and marmite, fig rolls, yoghurts, rice cakes, other bready things, a very small range of biscuits, chocolate and smoothies. Occasionally eats bacon.

He plans to try:

Smoked ham because it is like bacon
Chocolate Philadelphia because it is like chocolate spread
Marmite cheese because he likes marmite
Pear because it is similar to apple which he now likes again
Cooked carrots confused
Plain pasta, various shapes, because he needed a carb grin
Tomatoes because they are a fruit that gets called a vegetable
Baked beans, Tomato soup and Spaghetti Hoops because he used to like them.

And the wild card is...

Curry because he likes the smell

coff33pot Thu 07-Mar-13 20:02:47

Tell him marmite cheese is wicked! I am the only marmite fan in this house.

and the chocolate philadelphia is also nice like choc spread with bread sticks smile

love the wild card choice lol

PolterGoose Thu 07-Mar-13 20:10:02

Thanks coff

He is now planning exactly how this 'Food Adventure' is going to take place. A true multi-sensory experience.

I think it involves a spreadsheet.

TheNoodlesIncident Thu 07-Mar-13 20:12:49

This is such lovely news grin

So nice to hear of progress, especially with eating <twitches>

zzzzz Fri 08-Mar-13 23:33:33

WOW God I am SO jealous. What a wonderful thing.

We have these which might appeal to his scientific nature.

www.absorbentminds.co.uk/acatalog/info_S_13_61.html

You don't need the real thing but he could set up fiendish taste matching challenges for you and vice versa.

PolterGoose Fri 08-Mar-13 23:53:40

I like them, thank you thanks

PolterGoose Sat 09-Mar-13 17:08:51

So far, so good grin

After careful discussion and preparation we have a scoring system and a table to record 'findings'

Today he has tried and added to his diet smoked ham, chocolate Philadelphia, tomato soup and pear, that is as far as it went but he ate almost a full slice of naice ham, 1.5 pears and 2 spoons of soup. I had to stop him eating all the Philadelphia shock

He didn't want to try anything else on his list so we had a look in the larder and he also tried and liked plain bran flakes and dried banana shock

To be honest if it stops here for a while I will be quite happy as we have added 2 sources of protein and 2 veg/fruit (counting the soup as veg/fruit due to high tomato content)

coff33pot Sat 09-Mar-13 17:25:04

wow brilliant! grin

I know how he feels about the philadelphia yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

NoHaudinMaWheest Sat 09-Mar-13 17:37:10

That's really great 4 new foods, no 6, in one day!

neverputasockinatoaster Sat 09-Mar-13 18:38:27

Brilliant!

DS tried a broad bean the other day... I was just going for tolerating foods we think we don't like on our plates rather than throwing them off yelling 'yuck!'

DD on the other hand......

PolterGoose Sat 09-Mar-13 18:48:21

A broad bean shock

coff33pot Sat 09-Mar-13 19:50:10

eewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

the boy deserves a medal a BIG one a bbbbroad bean ugh

zzzzz Sat 09-Mar-13 20:58:35

poltergoose. I am speechless! shock

PolterGoose Sat 09-Mar-13 21:11:44

zzzzz that cannot possibly be true grin

Ineedmorepatience Sat 09-Mar-13 21:28:47

Wow polter a massive day for your ds, well done poltergosling smile

PolterGoose Sat 09-Mar-13 22:45:42

Thanks Ineed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now