Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

GP tomorrow for dd to ask for a referral to someone about possible PDA

(6 Posts)

Ah brilliant. Well done. I wonder what the outcome would have been if you had arrived simply requesting a referral for PDA.

Though I have to say that your GP seems pretty switched on and helpful.

Well done Dinky good luck with the next step.

TBH PDA is getting more awareness lately, could have something to do with the conferences ENC have been running last year.

Dinkysmummy Tue 26-Feb-13 11:18:46

Well, I went to the appointment last week and thought I would take starlights advice (not mention PDA). I took the referral to the family link worker, the CAF form and a list of things that I thought were unusual for a 5 year old.
Not so surprisingly the GP said that he had no experience in these matters and that he would speak to the practice partner who did dinky's CAMHS referral and made an appontment to go back today.

Well, shocked isn't the word! shock

He asked me if I had heard of PDA and said it was a little known presentation of ASD! I told him I had heard of it and thought dinky met the criteria. He said he had done some research and agreed and said that the practice partner agreed too! So they have already sent the referral to the peadiatrician at the child development centre and I should get a letter in the post with an appointment.

shock

So I have started the journey to find out what is going on with dinky and how I can help her... Now I have to sit tight and wait for the appointment to come through. (Although after reading some other posts on here from clever mn parents I have started a behaviour diary)

sweetteamum Wed 20-Feb-13 20:43:24

Good Luck for the appointment Dinky, whatever you end up saying smile

I wouldn't mention PDA, but suggest red flags for developmental problems and possible ASD and request a referral to a developmental paediatrician.

Dinkysmummy Wed 20-Feb-13 20:10:55

Seeing as the senco made out all of dinkys issues were housing related and CAMHS refused to see her, I have got to go back to the GP and see what they suggest...

I'm a little nervous. I've printed out the PDA fact sheet from the NAS website and have the referral to family link worker done by the senco which spells out just over half of the criteria, and I have a diary about dinkys behaviour from the 14/1/2013 up to now, which reading back over screams PDA.
The only problem is will the GP even know what to do about it? To be honest I haven't seen this particular before and I haven't exactly had the best reactions from the GPs at this practice when it comes to dinky. The one who filled out the CAMHS referral was happy to do it because I actually took dinky with me and she almost destroyed a few of the things in the room while I was talking to the GP. blush

I'm just hoping I don't get fobbed off and have to fit to get her referred to someone who can help!

Please cross fingers for us

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now