Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

WISC Assessment V BAS Scales (2nd Edition)

(39 Posts)
sweetteamum Tue 19-Feb-13 11:14:11

Could anyone tell me the difference between the two (if there is any).

My DD had the BAS Scales (2nd Edition) last May and it came out with various scores, including an IQ score of 101 - Average Ability

Camhs now want to do the WISC assessment on DD, as they don't believe that DD's assessed IQ (by Dyslexia Action) is correct.

Surely she's going to already know what tests are going to be given or are there different tests for social and educational scores.

Sorry to start another thread, but i'm so confused by it all

sweetteamum Wed 20-Feb-13 11:44:20

Thank you all for the additional comments - after lots of research i'm finally more confident about the WISC smile

ilikemysleep Wed 20-Feb-13 12:28:43

The BAS 3 has online scoring and if you (the EP) or your employer chooses to pay a bit more it will print out a report for you, you can choose a professionals report or a parents report. I sincerely hope, sweeteamum, that someone didn't charge £600 and just do that without making any recommendations. You can see sample reports here:
http://gla.gl-education.com/products/british-ability-scales-third-edition/british-ability-scales-third-edition-sample-reports

ilikemysleep Wed 20-Feb-13 12:30:01
sweetteamum Wed 20-Feb-13 14:24:14

They really did Ilike sad we've not really got any further at all as there are no recommendations from our EP, the lea EP said they don't need to do the tests again as they've already been done. We are over £600 down and only to be told that dd has the difficulties we knew about, with a few scores and percentiles added into the mix.

I'm not overacting when I say we are in the same situation as 3 months ago but our bank account is somewhat dented sad

sweetteamum Wed 20-Feb-13 14:42:09

Wow, ilike, thanksforthe link. I've had a quick look through it and it's certainly got more information on thanmyreport from the private EP.

I have re-emailed the EP, again! and hopefully he'll come back with some acceptable answers for us!

ilikemysleep Wed 20-Feb-13 18:21:28

You could try emailing the LA EP and asking for her or his recommendations based on scores in the report from the private EP, if they don't feel the need to repeat the assessments. It isn't exactly wrong to use the standard BAS report, the info is reasonably good, but I would personally expect at least a little individual effort in formulating some recommendations if someone is handing over their hard earned money....

sweetteamum Wed 20-Feb-13 20:41:13

I was thinking of doing that, but feel so cheeky now. I know it was them who decided they didn't need to see him but I only tried to speed the process along as DS is struggling so much. All it's done is make me question his other assessments now.

sweetteamum Thu 21-Feb-13 10:09:04

I've heard back off the EP. For some reason he's given me some tips for managing ds education outside school. However as far as school goes he seems to have a similar attitude to ds school teacher and says that he's willing to speak to people on my behalf and that as I'd mentioned asd behaviour, that's all he was looking for - it seems we really don't have any useful details due to pass to school.

coppertop Thu 21-Feb-13 12:56:08

Ds was tested using WISC. He spent a couple of hours with the Ed.Psych, but that also included time in the classroom observing him.

The written report takes a couple of weeks but the Ed Psych was able to go through the results with me straight after the test. It gave us all a really useful insight into ds' particular difficulties and strengths.

sweetteamum Thu 21-Feb-13 13:19:23

Thanks copper. This EP also spent the same length of time with ds - although I had the report back within a day or two without any recommendations, feedback etc. as he was only looking for asd traits he's not got any other info to share, so we're stuck

ilikemysleep Thu 21-Feb-13 15:57:57

sweeteamum I am confused. Is it a dyslexia action EP who has assessed your child? Done a BAS and sent a standard report, then said they were looking for asd so they can't give any recommendations? How were they hoping to identify asd by doing a BAS? If I am told that asd is suspected I ensure that I observe the child in class and outside on the playground, and I would explictly comment on their social communication and interaction in the report, whetherI thought I saw asd or not. Did any of that happen?

sweetteamum Thu 21-Feb-13 16:47:32

Sorry ilike. This started off with one thing and led to another.

Dyslexia action used the BAS 11 - this gave a dx of mild dyslexia (for DD)

Our Private EP used the BAS 111 - this gave us nothing apart from saying what he observed (for DS) and saying he didn't think it was dyslexia

ilikemysleep Thu 21-Feb-13 22:14:45

Right, that is a bit clearer!

I am still peturbed with the job done by the private EP. You could consider a discussion with the HPC, our regulating body...

sweetteamum Thu 21-Feb-13 23:15:47

I'd feel so bad doing that but then I'm aggrieved that I've not got any answers either. Ill have to speak with dh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now