Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Who has moved to get help for their child?

(88 Posts)
bjkmummy Mon 18-Feb-13 14:12:09

Something we are seriously considering if we lose the tribunal. We have moved lots as DH was in the armed forces. Really hoped this was the last move but things have changed so much now.

SENresearch Thu 14-Mar-13 09:34:48

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

bjkmummy Tue 19-Feb-13 09:17:53

I've been pondering for a few days now and I think that I will move anyway. My time here has come to an end. There's nothing really to keep us here and my daughter is struggling a bit at school. School was fab when we first joined, then became an academy, lots of new children joined, in 2 years gone from a 4 classes to 6. My daughter has dyslexia so struggles. Her class teacher admitted at last parents evening a few weeks ago that she forgets my daughter is in the class so does get overlooked.mi know my daughter is struggling but is keeping it under wraps. She sometimes leaves me little notes around house as a cry for help. The place I want to move to has a village school with 30 kids in it which would be much better for her. If I lose the tribunal I will also lose my younger sons 1:1 at play schemes at he won't be eligible but the play schemes won't take him without 1:1. If I move then that doesn't become an issue - I will lose my direct payments but the amount I will save in petrol will cover that so can pay it ourselves plus we will be living in the countryside with lovely field views. I know my daughter is unhappy but I know she is also carrying the burden of what's happened with her elder brothers. I promised her once we had sorted out the tribunal, she will become my main focus again and I think the move will be best for her.

float62 Tue 19-Feb-13 01:07:01

Yes OP I would consider moving for my dc's sn (to the ends of the earth) and although it may have worked out for me, it really depends upon individual circumstances...y'all jus have to scuse me, there's a cowboy in ma kitchun asking fer tha maple syrup...goes gud with tha wafffffflez. Gawbless n g'nite.

Dev9aug Tue 19-Feb-13 00:21:42

waffles, Damn I knew I forgot to buy something at the supermarket earlier.

Dev9aug Tue 19-Feb-13 00:16:13

Sorry googlyeyes.

zzzzz Tue 19-Feb-13 00:15:22

I'm a lady!

Ok that's a bit of a stretch, but I'm female!

I was enjoying your waffle. grin

Dev9aug Tue 19-Feb-13 00:14:23

grin @ ABA tourism googkyeyes, that's probably the only holiday we are having this year..grin

Not sure I understand the stuff about being on the edge. Are you okay?

Lol!!

float by all means keep responding to the OP's topic. But just don't expect others to feel obliged to.

Dev9aug Tue 19-Feb-13 00:04:47

<ahem> not me...

float62 Tue 19-Feb-13 00:03:01

Yes, I agree probably no need and I thought a bit if I should post, and then thought a bit more and thought there was a possibility that I should. Because I know when it's at the edge, when there's nobody, but you, these sorts of forums really help, because you know it's not just you after all. Just wanted to keep this conversation a bit more open that's all. And no, I wouldn't report such a trivial thing to HQ, we are ladies after all.

Dev9aug Tue 19-Feb-13 00:02:19

grin

googlyeyes Mon 18-Feb-13 23:58:36

And fyi at least one poster is male

Dev9aug Mon 18-Feb-13 23:44:18

float62 there is no need for that. I thought the OP got the answers she needed. I am grateful for these random discussions as they can provide so much useful information which you wouldn't have otherwise thought about. And note the use of word random.

So report it to MNHQ!

float62 Mon 18-Feb-13 23:34:25

Oh terribly sorry, I seem to have interrupted a conversation about schools in SW London, I thought this was a thread asking other parents of SN children if they would consider moving for the sake of their dc's education. My mishtake...carry on ladies.

Another reason why I woukdn't put Ds in that school is because regardless of the qualification of the lead, sen teachers are often pushed into the role for being crap in the classroom which means that within the profession they are not given much respect often.

I woukd want to see whole-school understanding of the methodology before they stick my boy in a mainstream lesson without support just because they can, not because he'll learn. I woukd want the teacher to embrace the support, not ignore or poo poo it.

I woukd also worry that after a year or two of good intentions they just call it a unit with ABA just because it did have once even though all ABA people left.

These are very possible scenarios and I'd want to see it run in the right direction for a bit first.

googlyeyes Mon 18-Feb-13 23:24:03

Haven't spoken to her in ages and am v envious of those who seem to be able to get through to her v easily. I understood she was so swamped that she would only take the most urgent enquiries

Though, touch wood, we don't have need of her services just now. Without doubt the time shall come....

Am I the only person here who doesn't have FS on direct dial? confused

Perhaps I need to!?

googlyeyes Mon 18-Feb-13 23:16:28

ABA tourism as FS called it [griin]

Hit Kingston hard and I think at some point in the not too distant future Richmond will go the same way

Irony is Kingston is inordinately happy to send kids to independent special schools which are way more expensive than any home prog. That's the bit that messes with my mind

Kingston weren't. I don't know what happened.

Perhaps an influx of provision-chasers?

That's what you get when there's no national policy or standard.

googlyeyes Mon 18-Feb-13 23:07:49

DVD??? End, obviously...

googlyeyes Mon 18-Feb-13 23:07:26

Yes I reckon you're spot on Star. Is all a cost calculation at the DVD of the day. Sadly!

As far as I am aware Richmond have always granted home progs v easily to pre school age kids. Term time only. It's Kingston who are rabidly against them, and are now utilising Baker Small to try and obliterate any hint of them. Not on cost, simply principle

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 18-Feb-13 23:06:11

Can we call them the SOSCE foundation units? smile

Yes. Of course. But you and me, googly and Dev ain't running it!!!!

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now