Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Who has moved to get help for their child?

(88 Posts)
bjkmummy Mon 18-Feb-13 14:12:09

Something we are seriously considering if we lose the tribunal. We have moved lots as DH was in the armed forces. Really hoped this was the last move but things have changed so much now.

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 18-Feb-13 22:37:30

Maybe the poor dozy old LAs will realise that ABA units will enable them to get rid of the beasts they really really hate - home progs

I wouldn't stick Ds in there in the first year or two anyway (if he'd get a place) I'd want more info and to give his current placement a run.

But I was thinking more in terms of potential research for my course (if accepted).

And as Sickof said, it's a start and a relief to see this (despite it probably being about getting rid of home-programmes). Home programmes are horrid though tbh, but where there is no alternative parents are stuck. So I'm so excited about it and what it means I probably won't sleep tonight.

googlyeyes Mon 18-Feb-13 22:40:20

Thanks Dev, that's really interesting. Especially as just round the corner from us!

I wonder what level of ability it will be aimed at? It's just a couple if minutes away from The George Tancred Unit which (although not ABA) caters for HF children

X post.

Interestingly, I'm visiting my old haunt tomorrow. The children want to see where they first lived and the local children's centre with some 'good' staff is open, so we'll try and visit.

It will be strange to visit that backward cruel part if the country.

And tbh, if the school is full before it is started that demonstrates demand, and also enables parents to name it in their statements, which if they do will have to answered by providing more spaces or doing it again in another school.

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 18-Feb-13 22:45:12

Or, if it is so popular, they cold ABA-ify other units in outstanding mainstreams in the area

Dev9aug Mon 18-Feb-13 22:47:14

"Maybe the poor dozy old LAs will realise that ABA units will enable them to get rid of the beasts they really really hate - home progs"

sickof that's pretty much it. I was told that Richmind LEA are happy to fund ABA in schools etc, but they loathe paying for exclusive home programmes.

Dev9aug Mon 18-Feb-13 22:48:54

star I wouldn't put ds1 in it either in the first year or two which is why we are not going to be neighbours anytime soon..sad

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 18-Feb-13 22:48:59

Yes, bless them, cos to those who work in education depts, home education threatens their very existence!

googlyeyes Mon 18-Feb-13 22:50:13

Sorry didn't see your earlier post Sickof. Do you think there are many HF kids on home programmes though? Surely they either be in schools such as BH or in MS, with or without LSAs?

Actually from what I was told by another parent a while back I'm thinking it won't be for HF. I think the big gap in provision at the moment is for those bang in the middle, esp in Richmond. They have plenty of provision for those at the most severe end but as FS told me, they really have nowhere to place children like ds1. Hence the ABA school placement out of borough that we fortunately won without tribunal.

Definitely mighty confusing

I doubt it will be for HF, because even if that is what they intend, they can still get away with ignoring the more passive HF for years, whilst they fill up their 'special' places with children who woukd be expensive to place elsewhere, regardless of whether it was appropriate.

Still excited by this very good start though.

I think anything where parents get a chosen outsider consultant plus TA is labeled as home programme, even if in school, because 'home' gets more control than their 'professional egos' can cope with.

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 18-Feb-13 22:59:40

I really think it could be a new front for ABA - you could have a range of abilities as they could go into as many or as few mainstream classes as they could manage. Some: just PE, Art and the rest of their lessons in the unit; others, practically all academic lessons, and thn use the unit for downtime, when anxious. I can see how it would all work. V exciting

Yes. Of course. But you and me, googly and Dev ain't running it!!!!

grin

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 18-Feb-13 23:06:11

Can we call them the SOSCE foundation units? smile

googlyeyes Mon 18-Feb-13 23:07:26

Yes I reckon you're spot on Star. Is all a cost calculation at the DVD of the day. Sadly!

As far as I am aware Richmond have always granted home progs v easily to pre school age kids. Term time only. It's Kingston who are rabidly against them, and are now utilising Baker Small to try and obliterate any hint of them. Not on cost, simply principle

googlyeyes Mon 18-Feb-13 23:07:49

DVD??? End, obviously...

Kingston weren't. I don't know what happened.

Perhaps an influx of provision-chasers?

That's what you get when there's no national policy or standard.

googlyeyes Mon 18-Feb-13 23:16:28

ABA tourism as FS called it [griin]

Hit Kingston hard and I think at some point in the not too distant future Richmond will go the same way

Irony is Kingston is inordinately happy to send kids to independent special schools which are way more expensive than any home prog. That's the bit that messes with my mind

Am I the only person here who doesn't have FS on direct dial? confused

Perhaps I need to!?

googlyeyes Mon 18-Feb-13 23:24:03

Haven't spoken to her in ages and am v envious of those who seem to be able to get through to her v easily. I understood she was so swamped that she would only take the most urgent enquiries

Though, touch wood, we don't have need of her services just now. Without doubt the time shall come....

Another reason why I woukdn't put Ds in that school is because regardless of the qualification of the lead, sen teachers are often pushed into the role for being crap in the classroom which means that within the profession they are not given much respect often.

I woukd want to see whole-school understanding of the methodology before they stick my boy in a mainstream lesson without support just because they can, not because he'll learn. I woukd want the teacher to embrace the support, not ignore or poo poo it.

I woukd also worry that after a year or two of good intentions they just call it a unit with ABA just because it did have once even though all ABA people left.

These are very possible scenarios and I'd want to see it run in the right direction for a bit first.

float62 Mon 18-Feb-13 23:34:25

Oh terribly sorry, I seem to have interrupted a conversation about schools in SW London, I thought this was a thread asking other parents of SN children if they would consider moving for the sake of their dc's education. My mishtake...carry on ladies.

So report it to MNHQ!

Dev9aug Mon 18-Feb-13 23:44:18

float62 there is no need for that. I thought the OP got the answers she needed. I am grateful for these random discussions as they can provide so much useful information which you wouldn't have otherwise thought about. And note the use of word random.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now