Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is anyone else starting to think really stupid things about this food stuff?

(29 Posts)
HecateWhoopass Fri 15-Feb-13 07:02:48

I know that I am being ridiculous. I know I am. But when the kids were first diagnosed with autism, I spent YEARS blaming myself. I spent years analysing everything I'd done, everything I'd given them, how I'd raised them - everything. To try to find a 'reason'.

I finally accepted that it was probably genetic, that it was just always going to be.

But now this food thing. For god knows how long, lord knows what has been going in the food. We don't know how safe it was, we don't know what chemicals were in there, we don't know ANYTHING.

And I can't help wondering what if it's all the CRAP that's in food. People say there's been an unexplained rise in ASD in recent times. What if that's it?

And I know I am being stupid, but it's probably the only remaining way that I haven't blamed myself and I can't get it out of my head. blush

ScramblyEgg Sat 16-Feb-13 21:49:38

The NHS did a study in 2009 which showed that the incidence of ASD is roughly the same for adults as for children, i.e. there has been no rise in ASD in recent years.

I can't find a decent link to it, this mentions it but mainly in the context of MMR.

I think, as Mareeya says, the seeming rise is because of increased awareness & diagnosis.

emmetbrown Sun 17-Feb-13 23:13:42

I think there must be environmental factors that are contributing. I don't like to think about the state of food these days. Multinationals will do anything for money. Apparently fruit & veg now has much less vitamins than it did 100 years ago.
I know my son was born with autism & nothing he ate triggered it. But when I think of what I ate as a child. Well. Birds eye potato waffles & findus crispy pancakes! And lots of Smash! It makes you wonder.

troutsprout Mon 18-Feb-13 08:24:47

Agree with Mareeya.

TaggieCampbellBlack Mon 18-Feb-13 08:30:52

I do the 'whst-if blame' thing frequently.

If it is crap in food why are we all not autistic?

If it is mmr or vaccinations why are all vaccinated children not affected?

If it is genetic why is one dd and not the other?

Ditto bad parenting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now