Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ABA Tribunal in May

(27 Posts)
mumof2terrors Tue 12-Feb-13 15:58:02

Dear lovely parents

The Bas***ds that are baker small are going to be going against us in May please please help us sad

Now I am stressed.

PipinJo Tue 12-Feb-13 23:39:05

if you can prove yours is cheaper than the others....rather than try and prove it against their alternative 'free' placement ...you have a good argument for your choice! Try and get that info...speak to FS about this first though as your legal rep.

mumof2terrors Tue 12-Feb-13 23:24:00

I will put in another FOI for costs especially the one program they are funding, aba a schools are in the region of 60k but we only want a fraction of that

PipinJo Tue 12-Feb-13 22:58:46

You got that in writing? with costs hours etc? Good evidence esp only one had to go to tribunal....they fund it because it worked for the dc...they will be asked this by tribunal I am sure! But to have it in their headed note paper as evidence.
ABA schools are expensive placements are you going for home and MS which is cheaper?? The cost differences to the schools will help your case too.

mumof2terrors Tue 12-Feb-13 22:48:45

they fund 12 kids at ABA school and 1 home program, and only one placement was won through tribunal

PipinJo Tue 12-Feb-13 22:44:48

Oh do an FOI on other families within LA that they fund ABA...ask for costings/hours etc you might get an answer on that? This crucial if they fund other dc!

PipinJo Tue 12-Feb-13 22:42:30

ask for all letters, emails, memos, minutes of meetings, reports and any other method you can think of! I did before tribunal and got everything which wasn't much as they never prepared...they can with hold CP stuff and they can cross things out they don't want you to see on the photocopies too.

mumof2terrors Tue 12-Feb-13 22:31:26

can i get all info they hold on my DS?

PipinJo Tue 12-Feb-13 22:26:10

You need to time it too to put in FOI on all info on your dc (takes about 40 days) prior to tribunal...try and get more info on their approach/reasons to object. So you have your arguments ready. Look at his past arguments at tribunals.

I think they (LA) are more frightened of FS tbh!

inappropriatelyemployed Tue 12-Feb-13 22:24:36

What a way to make a living! That was worth all those years in university and training? What job satisfaction must you get shafting parents for LAs?!

I think I'd rather be a banker!

FS is cool, calm and collected. You have given yourself the best possible chance.

There's only hype because he works for a lot of LAs and that's only because he can pander to their insecurities (ABA tutors aren't qualified teachers like you o-so-special promoted out of the classroom for being crap autism experts), and they key fact that he's cheap!

mumof2terrors Tue 12-Feb-13 22:13:57

its all the hype surrounding MS also we have been messed around so much I feel this is our last chance before they put him in a unit and force this awful school on us.

I think BS tends to win cases where the judge is less confident/knowledgable, and then spouts an awful lot of trademark BS that plays on their insecurities.

These judges are increasing due to the bringing in of salaried judges to meet increasing demand.

zumbaleena Tue 12-Feb-13 22:07:54

Mumof2terrors....you are in brilliant hands then....why do you worry?

AgnesDiPesto Tue 12-Feb-13 21:59:47

FS knows way more than me! We used her and won.
We were not up against BS tho, but they hired BS just after FS wiped the floor with them grin

mumof2terrors Tue 12-Feb-13 21:51:45

I am looking to pay the fees. I just want the cost of the placement plus transport costs.

My advocate is the one and only FS

The school however have no experience of special needs or statemented children although they do have one child in year 1 who has asd and is supported by an LSA paid for by the parents

Fwiw, the solicitor here mentioned isn't the brightest cookie in the tin and tribunal panels are getting increasingly fed up of his antics!

Oh. Okay.

zumbaleena Tue 12-Feb-13 20:43:01

Am happy to remove. Dunno how....will take care in the future

bialystockandbloom Tue 12-Feb-13 20:12:45

Star, I think the OP uses the same name on both forums?

bialystockandbloom Tue 12-Feb-13 20:11:56

We used Jackie Harland SALT for our tribunal (settled without tribunal in the end). She was very good, very knowledgable and positive about ABA. She's at the London Children's Centre, Harley street.

You're right that an independent school is under no obligation to meet provision in a statement, but that doesn't mean an indie school won't take a child with asd - and if you have found one that can meet his needs and are happy for him to go with ABA tutor (? assuming that's what you want), the argument will probably come down to cost. Presumably your chosen school are backing you and saying they can meet his needs, with ABA?

Are you looking for the LA to pay school fees and ABA costs?

The fact they haven't assessed him in two years is very much in your favour imo! How the hell can they argue their school is the most appropriate for him if they don't have a picture of his needs? confused

You really need agnes on this, she's the real expert on this.

Who is your advocate (initials?)?

Zumbalena, I would think it in the OPs interest to request your first post on this thread removed. Linking a name across forums is a potential Hazzard for her.

Just a thought.

mumof2terrors Tue 12-Feb-13 19:39:30

I have got ed psych coming end of March a brilliant advocate just need to find an Aba friendly SALT and OT

Ronifromwales Tue 12-Feb-13 19:35:43

A letter from baker small has recently been posted on aba uk. Have you got a good sound tribunal team? Ed psych. Salt and ot assessments help. Good luck!

mumof2terrors Tue 12-Feb-13 19:32:31

Yes bialy

The Lea have named one school for him they won't budge at all.

We have been messed around for nearly 2years. They won't reassess either and are saying he is severely affected by his autism.

We have found an independent school that are willing to take him with support, but again BS maintain the argument that this is where he will attend and as most of you are aware most private independents don't have kids with statements even though most have plenty of children who are undiagnosed.

zumbaleena Tue 12-Feb-13 19:00:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now