Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Did you get support while waiting for Statutory Assessment

(8 Posts)
ouryve Fri 08-Feb-13 12:06:40

DS1 was on EYA+ in nursery and the LA sent across a 1:1 for him, 2 mornings a week. That lasted a month. She was completely in his face and really wound him up (and wound me up by making judgements about giving the boys fish fingers for lunch etc). It was a relief when she stopped coming with the excuse that her regular charge needed more support, now. When she left, the school went back to assigning a key worker for him from the regular nursery staff.

A year or so later, DS2 started nursery with a statement already in place, and the LA wanted to assign him to this same 1:1. The school didn't want her there (it wasn't just me and DS1 that she'd annoyed, it seems) and were relieved when, yet again, she didn't show up and, at the last minute, they were given permission to employ the lady who had been supporting him through the 2 year pilot and built up a relationship with him.

BarryShitpeas Thu 07-Feb-13 21:37:59

Yes. We are waiting for a SA and ds is being supported full time. He was just on afternoons, but the class teacher felt he needed full time help, so the head requested funding from an LEA vulnerable children fund, and got it.

flowwithit Thu 07-Feb-13 21:10:37

Thanks, I already know its not a good SEN school because they still don't support even though they know we are trying to get SA.
Ds says he will not go anywhere else and will not travel either he is nearly 13yrs and HFA so it's difficult to convince him a move might be good. I have been working on it though because I think his current school have acted very badly so far.

mymatemax Thu 07-Feb-13 16:32:39

Yes, thats how i knew ds2 was at the right school, they gave him all the support he needed before his statement was in place, without question. ds2 is very quiet & passive so it wasnt because he was disruptive just because they recognised his needs.
IMHO thats the way to judge a good school, its what they do when they arent forced to in law, but because the child needs it & they want to dot eh best for the child.

flowwithit Thu 07-Feb-13 14:45:45

Thanks to you both. They are pretty simple things I'd be requesting really but the school has not been helpful so far! They know we have requested a SA because my Ds does not want to move and the LA have been in to see them.
I was hoping that they might be more accommodating now but I also know they have asked if another school might be more suitable.

steelev48 Thu 07-Feb-13 12:26:58

When my son started secondary in Sept I was in the middle of the appeal process against the refusal to assess and the tribunal date was looming. The SENCo at the new school was very supportive and put a lot of the help in place on the assumption that I would win and he would eventually end up with a statement. We're now at the proposed statement stage and she has increased the support without waiting for the final statement and the funding that comes with it. The best of luck to you.

AgnesDiPesto Thu 07-Feb-13 10:07:06

A bit. When the slt came to assess him and said he would need speech therapy and then disappeared we rang her up and asked why she could not start coming now. She then came the next week and a month later and then stopped again! We got some 1:1 funded as well. In our area outreach won't come in without a diagnosis but that's not the case everywhere.

flowwithit Thu 07-Feb-13 09:35:47

Ds is at ms secondary school and really needs help now because he is not coping well.
Did you manage to get anything in place while you were waiting for Statutory Assessment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now