Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ed Psych: 'ASD traits but not enough' what else could be behind it then?

(34 Posts)
popgoestheweezel Wed 23-Jan-13 14:13:41

Had a meeting with ed psych yesterday, she says although ds (6) shows asd traits and CAST score was over the threshold she thinks he is too sociable to be classed as ASD.
The suggestion is now that he is referred to CAMHS (we have already seen the community paed three times), our concern is if it's not ASD then what are they going to suggest as the reason for his behaviour...?

HotheadPaisan Sat 26-Jan-13 15:41:34

Ah yes, I've got those too, PM me your email if you can't find them and I'll send them.

Honestly, no-one listens though, they have to find their own way and come to their own realisation that typical approaches just do not work.

DS1 is pretty extreme in his reactions/refusal/inability to comply though, which has helped others to see there's a problem, but as he gets older he will be expected to curb it more, he is trying.

Task/reward is having some effect now thankfully.

HotheadPaisan Sat 26-Jan-13 15:49:17

There is hope on the getting dressed front - after the eleventy billionth attempt at a reward chart he has finally bitten with the offer of a Shrek 3 DVD. So, he has a ten minute window from starting to get ready to go to getting out of the door then he gets a tick, 7 ticks and he gets the DVD, he's managed it every day this week which has taken the stress out of getting to school. We help him but he does some too.

popgoestheweezel Sun 27-Jan-13 11:50:34

Thanks for the offer of those passport/cloud docs, I can't find them now so I will pm you with my email address.
Reward charts are a major disaster round here and just exacerbate the situation- he gets super-stressed cos he knows he's being manipulated and cannot tolerate waiting for anything! Already this morning I have had endless grief; ''when are we going on holiday? I want to go today, now. I don't want to wait. I haven't been on a holiday for two years. Milly has been on holiday 5 times. Its not fair that you're not allowing me to go on holiday. You're stopping me from going!' then ' 'when is it my birthday? I want to be seven now! All my friends are seven, why didn't you make my birthday earlier so I can be seven now! It's not fair, everyone is seven except me!' then 'carry me downstairs like a baby. Wrap me in my duvet and carry me down' I told him I couldn't cos he was too heavy for me and it would be dangerous with the duvet' he shouted at me so I just went downstairs by myself. A few minutes later he stomps into the kitchen gets a knife out of the drawer and thrusts it at me, grunting. And he'd only been up 15 mins!

HotheadPaisan Sun 27-Jan-13 13:31:51

I totally hear you, a picture came off the wall here yesterday, I have had enough.

Seriously, look at medication, I have an appointment to get a referral, I really think we need to lower the anxiety and then he will be able to respond to the strategies more.

HotheadPaisan Sun 27-Jan-13 13:36:05

How is he at wishes at fantasy? So if you'd said, 'I'd love if it we could jet off right now, I'd sit in my bikini' etc etc. S1 has to be in the mood but there is no chance of acknowledging his feelings, that really does end in disaster.

popgoestheweezel Sun 27-Jan-13 15:38:20

The fantasy used to work well if he was in the right frame of mind but seems to be less effective now, not sure if that's because he's getting older and less easily distracted, or he's so rarely in the right frame of mind now or we're getting less good at it. On the better days distraction does work but you have to work very hard at it, it takes real imagination and determination and sometimes you just lose the will to live!
Medication would be an absolute last resort for me, I'd have to exhaust every other intervention first.I do wish I had a side effect free magic wand though and could take all this stress away for him.

HotheadPaisan Sun 27-Jan-13 15:44:39

Agree distraction harder with age. We are just going to try medication, nothing ventured and so on, if it doesn't work, or we're not happy about side effects, we'll stop, ditto for if it doesn't have any positive effect. There are quite a few that could be tried though by the looks and I don't want some of the behaviour to become so embedded or his image of himself to be so damaged that we can't claw it back. It's a tricky balance.

HotheadPaisan Sun 27-Jan-13 15:49:27

Fluvoxamine is one I'm interested in talking to someone about (not sure who we'll end up seeing yet).

Whatever we try it will be low dose and carefully monitored and hopefully short-term, we'll see.

HotheadPaisan Sun 27-Jan-13 15:58:18

Good advice here too.

I just can't watch him self-destruct and self-punish anymore. Let alone put up with the stuff aimed at S2 and us. Something has to change and I already know we're doing everything we can, and all the professionals involved agree, so, let's hope they also agree to try one of the medications just to see.

The paediatrician agrees but they can't prescribe, oddly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now