Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is anyone around?

(15 Posts)
BarryShitpeas Wed 09-Jan-13 09:42:42

I have been asked to go to CAMHS today to read the diagnostic report they have written. It will then be signed and become his official diagnosis.

I have been told to expect Asperger's or HFA.

Is there anything I need to make sure is in there, my head is spinning. I feel like I need to make sure the report is accurate, but other than that, is there anything which would be beneficial to put in?

Thanks you lovely people.

clangermum Wed 09-Jan-13 09:47:52

Do you have to sign it on the spot? At the very least I'd ask for time to bring it away and read it carefully, then maybe you can get other people to have a look too?

Good luck!

BarryShitpeas Wed 09-Jan-13 10:04:06

That's a good point- I don't know.

He did offer to send it through the post so we could look at it, but said he recommends parents come in in order to talk it through with him. I will ask if I can bring it home to show dh (who will be at work this afternoon).

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Wed 09-Jan-13 10:08:26

Can you get them to email it to you before you meet f2f? I hate being given reports to read during meetings - you can't concentrate properly on what you are reading and have a conversation - where you are supposed to ask pertinent questions - at the same time.

If not you can always say you will post them the signed copy when DH has had a chance to read it as you will also be signing on his behalf.

ArthurPewty Wed 09-Jan-13 10:10:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DameMargotFountain Wed 09-Jan-13 10:13:49

I've never heard of having to sign a diagnosis report, we got ours through the post.

it wasn't nice to receive it like that, but it the DX was expected.

Why do you have to sign, unless you are a medic yourself, what is the point? If a Dr is giving their medical opinion, surely you, as a lay person, accept that? (not being confrontational here, genuinely wondering)

We were talked through DDs sensory profile though, I had to beg to have it emailed to us so DH could read it (he was away), the OT said it was to avoid confusion and misinterpretation.

I preferred the face-to-face session tbh, the letter through the post was a bit of a shocker.

BarryShitpeas Wed 09-Jan-13 10:20:35

Dame Margot- that's a really good point. He has asked me to come in and read it to ensure accuracy, he hasn't actually said anything about signing it, I wrote that as a shorthand, when what I really meant was "if we are in agreement then it will become ds's official diagnosis".

It's not just his medical opinion, there will be a lot of developmental information in there which presumably is the stuff they want to agree with me.

ArthurPewty Wed 09-Jan-13 10:29:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DameMargotFountain Wed 09-Jan-13 10:47:32

sorry if my 'medical opinion' phrase sounded a bit 'off' there, i understand it's far more than that thanks

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Wed 09-Jan-13 10:56:35

I suppose you 'agree' to your DC receiving a diagnosis, as some parents (misguided IMO) prefer to avoid labels. As I understand it, you only have to disclose this DX to people or institutions if you want to, if you feel there will be a benefit to your DC if you do. It's hard seeing such a DX in black and white, though, and I can well imagine that some parents may find accepting it difficult.

So long as the profs haven't misinterpreted or misremembered the history you gave them, I would guess that the DX will be correct. (((hugs))) It may be an emotional meeting for you. X

Wouldn't it be better to get it in the post AND THEN go into discuss it?

FWIW, I feel that a dx of simple ASD is best as HF often is interpreted as 'doesn't need services' or 'not THAT BAD' which can be a sop to parents but actually very unhelpful in the long run.

With a dx of ASD you can tell people it is HF, or not, depending on the context, which imo can influence ability to function greatly.

BarryShitpeas Thu 10-Jan-13 11:29:03

Thanks, it went ok I think!

He gave me the report and I asked for time to read it before we discussed it (which I wouldn't have done if you hadn't suggested it!).

It was quite a concise summary of ds problems and I felt the descriptions were valid.

He then said the diagnosis would be Asperger's, after he confirmed that there was no significant language delay before the age of three.

While I was in the room waiting for him to print it school phoned to say the council have accepted their request for statutory assessment.

So things are moving in the right direction.

Thanks for giving me lots to think about, I feel relieved but knackered and a bit "flat", iykwim.

I also need to go to his class teacher this afternoon to discuss his IEP. I need to make sure they are actually doing the sensory exercises they are supposed to be. Short of CCTV, how do I do this without seeming to doubt them? (I don't, I just need to check!)

God, I'm going to buy a big fuck-off pudding from M+S for later.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Thu 10-Jan-13 14:51:43

((((hugs)))) Barry. Surprised they are still DXing AS as it's not in DSM 5. confused Moosemama managed to get a DX that said something like ASD/AS so she could pick and choose which one to disclose depending on the audience. The public perception of AS is that it's milder than ASD, so this can be a useful DX to tell family and friends and your DS as there is a lot of positive literature about it, but ASD can be useful if you are looking for support in school etc.

Great that the LA have agreed to assess. Many MNers have had to go towards tribunal to get that. Some good news to offset the day. smile

BarryShitpeas Thu 10-Jan-13 21:45:16

Ellen, thanks for the info, I didn't know that <goes off to google DSM 5>.

WilsonFrickett Thu 10-Jan-13 22:12:29

No matter how much you've been expecting it - or wishing for it - seeing the dx written down sucks. ((hugs)) to you and hope you're feeling a bit brighter today. I too thought they were stopping giving Asperger's as a sep dx, but I don't suppose it really matters if you get the support DS needs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now