Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ABA peeps: first meeting/workshop day with consultant, what should I expect?

(5 Posts)

We had a 5 hour meeting with an ABA consultant a couple of weeks back, and DS's tutor attended. The tutor is a trainee and has not done ABA therapy before. Can you tell me what I can expect to happen now, as things were left a bit... vague. We received a very good overview of what VB is and how it works, and some ideas of things to work on with DS (matching, manding etc). But, would you expect to get a written report after a consultation, with a programme, targets, and instructions on how to collect data? For a fee typical of a consultant's day rate? I got a date in the diary in three months' time for this consultant to come back and review. We have done a VB programme before with DS with a different provider, but we had a full team in place with a supervisor so it was more structured from the outset.

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 31-Dec-12 15:22:01

Yes I would expect a folder to have been started, with targets and data sheets. Usually the supervisor would do this,rather than a roomy tutor, so perhaps the consultant needs a prod,as he will have to do it!

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 31-Dec-12 15:28:11

Rooky

hmm yes that's what I think too sickofso - my gut feeling is that this consultant is not right for us. I've spoken to a few and they are all badmouthing each other. Do you know if a supervisor is required to be BCBA or BCaBA qualified? Some providers are happy to use supervisors that are just very experienced therapists, some insist on BCaBA.

sickofsocalledexperts Wed 02-Jan-13 14:08:23

In theory they should have Bcba, but many don't. Do you want to pm me the name in case I know them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now