Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

has anyone seen a good DVD on A s d?

(17 Posts)
used2bthin Sun 20-Jan-13 11:57:03

thanks just seen this reply will have a look for it sounds interesting.

Sunnymeg Wed 09-Jan-13 10:17:44

For adults 'Adam' starring Hugh Dancey, man with Aspergers who is figuring out the world. The ending is happy/sad probably very true to life. I have shown this to friends, and used it as a starting point to talk about son's Aspergers.

used2bthin Wed 02-Jan-13 20:49:23

inappropriately no prob at all its good to hear of those for future too. I.'ve ordered a few of those and watched a bit of temple grandin too then got hooked into YouTube watching lots of stuff on autism. I am feeling more positive about our probable diagnosis as a result so it's getting everyone else on board next. thank you .

zzzzz Tue 01-Jan-13 18:41:11

For children

"A Wrinkle in Time" and the rest of the series
"The Chrysalids"
"The Dark is Rising"

I go for "different is ok but the world is sometimes a bit hostile" message books rather than overt "disabled child wins through"

inappropriatelyemployed Tue 01-Jan-13 18:31:17

Hope you don't mind the minor hi-jack, but I'd be interested in any ideas of anything for a 10 year old with AS to watch. A ten year old who, at present, sees Asperger's as 'the enemy' and struggles to see any positives.

CwtchesAndCuddles Tue 01-Jan-13 11:25:31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0NdsvK8iB4

used2bthin Mon 31-Dec-12 19:20:25

I will try after Thomas too thanks I have seen that on my kindle list. I suppose for family members I would like something very simple and factual. D d has learning difficulties and we have only just got to thinking about autism so something about signs and symptoms and what helps as well as doesn't help.

zzzzz Mon 31-Dec-12 17:15:55

I loved Sendin the Idiots, but haven't tried After Thomas. I will have a look.

I think what I liked about it and the Einstein book was the case studies. I like looking for similarities and hearing how things turned out.

CwtchesAndCuddles Mon 31-Dec-12 17:07:40

Send in the idiots is not the easiest book to read as a starting point, it also depends where you dc is on the spectrum.
My ds is at the lower end and also has learning difficulties - when he was first diagnosed at 3 we found the film "After Thomas" was helpful to show family members.

used2bthin Mon 31-Dec-12 16:41:44

sorry just looked up and send in the idiots is a book so will order that and see if I can get them.

used2bthin Mon 31-Dec-12 16:33:49

I love big bang theory! thanks z I will have a look at those. I think it would be good to watch something with d h so we can discuss after. but books also good,is the consensus here that the best book is the idiots guide to autism?

creamteas Mon 31-Dec-12 08:57:06

I found many family members were a lot more sympathetic after watching The Big Bang Theory grin. Possibly because both of my ASD DC are HF science geeks though

zzzzz Sun 30-Dec-12 23:21:52

"Send In the Idiots" Kamran - brilliant case histories of ASD kindly class and what happened to them. (you may need wine)
"Emergence" Temple Grandin - her Mum is strong

Watch some utube of Temple Grandin talking about Autism

There's a film called Miracle Run that I want to see again about autistic twins, but I can't remember much about it.

I liked "Einstein Syndrome" which isn't really ASD but delayed talking but I admire the guys ability to spin.

used2bthin Sun 30-Dec-12 22:23:17

argh on kindle sorry can and can' t help

used2bthin Sun 30-Dec-12 22:21:53

partly for me as I have lots of learning forfeiting. but then family especially those who don' t always see the difference between behaviours she Canadian' t help and to understand the triggers for some things.

zzzzz Sun 30-Dec-12 21:36:35

Who are your target audience, and what do you want them to take away from the DVD/book?

used2bthin Sun 30-Dec-12 20:38:11

or book recommendations? been reading autism and superheroes,a layman's guide and would like something to get a few copies of for family with it all broken down clearly. a DVD would be ideal but I can only find documentaries and would like explanations and what to do if possible.

hope everyone has had a good Christmas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now