Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

has anyone seen a good DVD on A s d?

(17 Posts)
used2bthin Sun 30-Dec-12 20:38:11

or book recommendations? been reading autism and superheroes,a layman's guide and would like something to get a few copies of for family with it all broken down clearly. a DVD would be ideal but I can only find documentaries and would like explanations and what to do if possible.

hope everyone has had a good Christmas!

zzzzz Sun 30-Dec-12 21:36:35

Who are your target audience, and what do you want them to take away from the DVD/book?

used2bthin Sun 30-Dec-12 22:21:53

partly for me as I have lots of learning forfeiting. but then family especially those who don' t always see the difference between behaviours she Canadian' t help and to understand the triggers for some things.

used2bthin Sun 30-Dec-12 22:23:17

argh on kindle sorry can and can' t help

zzzzz Sun 30-Dec-12 23:21:52

"Send In the Idiots" Kamran - brilliant case histories of ASD kindly class and what happened to them. (you may need wine)
"Emergence" Temple Grandin - her Mum is strong

Watch some utube of Temple Grandin talking about Autism

There's a film called Miracle Run that I want to see again about autistic twins, but I can't remember much about it.

I liked "Einstein Syndrome" which isn't really ASD but delayed talking but I admire the guys ability to spin.

creamteas Mon 31-Dec-12 08:57:06

I found many family members were a lot more sympathetic after watching The Big Bang Theory grin. Possibly because both of my ASD DC are HF science geeks though

used2bthin Mon 31-Dec-12 16:33:49

I love big bang theory! thanks z I will have a look at those. I think it would be good to watch something with d h so we can discuss after. but books also good,is the consensus here that the best book is the idiots guide to autism?

used2bthin Mon 31-Dec-12 16:41:44

sorry just looked up and send in the idiots is a book so will order that and see if I can get them.

CwtchesAndCuddles Mon 31-Dec-12 17:07:40

Send in the idiots is not the easiest book to read as a starting point, it also depends where you dc is on the spectrum.
My ds is at the lower end and also has learning difficulties - when he was first diagnosed at 3 we found the film "After Thomas" was helpful to show family members.

zzzzz Mon 31-Dec-12 17:15:55

I loved Sendin the Idiots, but haven't tried After Thomas. I will have a look.

I think what I liked about it and the Einstein book was the case studies. I like looking for similarities and hearing how things turned out.

used2bthin Mon 31-Dec-12 19:20:25

I will try after Thomas too thanks I have seen that on my kindle list. I suppose for family members I would like something very simple and factual. D d has learning difficulties and we have only just got to thinking about autism so something about signs and symptoms and what helps as well as doesn't help.

CwtchesAndCuddles Tue 01-Jan-13 11:25:31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0NdsvK8iB4

inappropriatelyemployed Tue 01-Jan-13 18:31:17

Hope you don't mind the minor hi-jack, but I'd be interested in any ideas of anything for a 10 year old with AS to watch. A ten year old who, at present, sees Asperger's as 'the enemy' and struggles to see any positives.

zzzzz Tue 01-Jan-13 18:41:11

For children

"A Wrinkle in Time" and the rest of the series
"The Chrysalids"
"The Dark is Rising"

I go for "different is ok but the world is sometimes a bit hostile" message books rather than overt "disabled child wins through"

used2bthin Wed 02-Jan-13 20:49:23

inappropriately no prob at all its good to hear of those for future too. I.'ve ordered a few of those and watched a bit of temple grandin too then got hooked into YouTube watching lots of stuff on autism. I am feeling more positive about our probable diagnosis as a result so it's getting everyone else on board next. thank you .

Sunnymeg Wed 09-Jan-13 10:17:44

For adults 'Adam' starring Hugh Dancey, man with Aspergers who is figuring out the world. The ending is happy/sad probably very true to life. I have shown this to friends, and used it as a starting point to talk about son's Aspergers.

used2bthin Sun 20-Jan-13 11:57:03

thanks just seen this reply will have a look for it sounds interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now