Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

please talk to me and help me stop worrying about this

(46 Posts)
thriftychic Fri 28-Dec-12 12:08:32

ds2 (13) has been urgently referred to the hospital , i think cancer is suspected and i am terrified.

i took him to the gp with a swelling in his neck , underneath his adams apple. i also thought he may have lost weight but hasnt been weighed for 18 months so not sure if hes just grown upwards iyswim as he has gone very tall and skinny despite eating lots.
he had a blood test to check his thyroid and other stuff. something in the test came back abnormal . he also has a small pea sized lump at the side of his neck . The gp got on to the hospital straight away yesterday and also spoke to another doctor about him. they have just phoned to say he has an appointment at the hospital on monday...so super quick !

i have a terrible gut feeling about this but i am prone to being anxious. i am trying my best to keep calm but my stomach is churning and i am snapping at everyone .
please tell me something positive

Ineedmorepatience Mon 31-Dec-12 11:10:35

Good luck for today thrifty

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Mon 31-Dec-12 11:11:33

Thinking of you today, Thrifty. (((hugs)))

frizzcat Mon 31-Dec-12 11:30:19

Fingers crossed thrifty x

troutsprout Mon 31-Dec-12 11:46:40

Hoping it goes well for you today xx

Walter4 Mon 31-Dec-12 13:45:27

Thinking if you , hope things go well and you can relax this evening smile

Handywoman Mon 31-Dec-12 13:50:30

Thinking of you, thrifty. Good luck for today.

steelev48 Mon 31-Dec-12 14:32:40

Wishing you the very best for today. By the way, one of the paediatricians I have known since my son was born turns out to also be an endocrinologist, so that may well be the case for you too.

Anyway, I hope it goes well and will chekcing back for an update.

perceptionInaPearTree Mon 31-Dec-12 14:41:59

thinking of you here too xx

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 31-Dec-12 17:16:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 01-Jan-13 12:55:32

Hi Thrifty. Hope it went well yesterday. X

Naelith Tue 01-Jan-13 13:09:08

My dd had a lump just above her Adam's apple at age 11 and doctors thought cancer, it turned out to be a thyroglossal cyst which was removed with surgery. Just wanted to reassure you it may be something else that's easily treatable xxxx hope your appointment goes well xxx

blondefriend Tue 01-Jan-13 13:10:46

How did it go? x

Ineedmorepatience Tue 01-Jan-13 15:08:02

Hope you are ok thrifty

wasuup3000 Tue 01-Jan-13 15:27:45

Thinking of you - my brother had the same as Naeliths dd when he was young. Fingers and Toes crossed for you all.

thriftychic Wed 02-Jan-13 21:51:30

hi ,
thankyou so much everyone for all the good wishes . i am so relieved and happy to report that there doesnt seem to be anything seriously wrong with ds2 .
i couldnt fault them at the hospital yesterday they were brilliant , the doctor could feel and see the apparent swelling at the front and the lymph node at the side of his neck and was a bit perplexed by it , got another doctors opinion and then the lovely nurse took us to the ultrasound department whilst he was scanned . they found no tumours or anything , they could see the lymph node was up but said that sometimes that just happens , should go down soon and probably the prominant sticky out bit under his adams apple must just be how he is , that because hes 13 , very skinny and changing rapidly , its become noticable . they have done another blood test to be safe aswell.
i cant tell you how happy i was in that ultrasound room ! i really thought the worst especially after the look on the face of my gp when he had been examining ds2 . i have never been so worried before .
so it just goes to show that quirky things can all point to the worst and be absolutely nothing !
thanks once again everyone smile

Ineedmorepatience Wed 02-Jan-13 22:19:09

So happy for you thrifty smile

Handywoman Wed 02-Jan-13 22:23:11

Absolutely brilliant, thtifty, what a relief.

Handy

pannetone Wed 02-Jan-13 23:12:14

So pleased to read your update thrifty smile

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Wed 02-Jan-13 23:18:16

That's brilliant! Thank you for updating us, was getting worried but not as worried as you, I guess. smile

porridgelover Wed 02-Jan-13 23:27:51

Glad to hear that grin.

frizzcat Wed 02-Jan-13 23:41:55

Great news!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now