Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

successful presents thread

(57 Posts)
creamteas Wed 26-Dec-12 10:41:58

Presents are always difficult for my ASD DC, but I had a couple that really worked this tear grin. I thought a thread like this might be useful for future inspiration. In our house, the presents of the year are:

A battery tester
Key ring with measuring tape
Set of bus postcards

How about you?

creamteas Thu 27-Dec-12 13:23:18

bad my sympathy, one of my NT DC was given a harmonica (it kept getting lost grin)

FanjoTimeMammariesAndWine Thu 27-Dec-12 13:38:43

Nothing, sadly!

Badvoc Thu 27-Dec-12 13:43:57

Thank you...trying to cheer myself up with the thought that they may become harmonica maestros smile

Peppa pig dvd (ds3 speech delay). I can sing the bing bang song from memory now!

FanjoTimeMammariesAndWine Thu 27-Dec-12 14:40:27

yay I spoke too soon,..a late present just arrived ..a "Squirting Squid" which is like a syringe which sucks up water and skooshes it out, she is LOVING it and is soaking

JustPondering Thu 27-Dec-12 16:56:33

DS 10, plane obsessed absolutely LOVES his PC flight simulator game and flight stick, also his pilots hat and badge and his book of flight facts.

StarOfLightMcKings3 Thu 27-Dec-12 17:01:36

Santa 'bought' ds a voucher for 10 hours on Google Earth!

Badvoc Fri 28-Dec-12 11:26:10

Oh, and iPod shuffle!
Have downloaded some audiobooks on it for him.
Also the book of paper planes that cost about £3...sad

wasuup3000 Fri 28-Dec-12 12:56:48

"" It's a pillow, it's a pet, it's a pillowpet"" on repeat throughout the day......

lougle Fri 28-Dec-12 13:32:56

DD1 -a rain stick.She adores the sound.

DD2-a beside cabinet and lamp.

imogengladhart Fri 28-Dec-12 15:56:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kinkyfuckery Fri 28-Dec-12 16:00:52

I got my ADHD DD1 (7) the uDraw tablet for the PS3, with the Instant Artist software. Seems to have been a hit, she used it for about 1/2 hr earlier on before zooming away to do something else!

kinkyfuckery Fri 28-Dec-12 16:02:17

Also, she was given a coupld of cracker 'gifts' on Xmas day, one being those two links you have to try to separate, and fortune telling fish - she had great fun going round the table trying them out on everyone.

Badvoc Fri 28-Dec-12 21:16:14

Imogen...you bought the harmonics!!?
In the name of god, why!?
smile
My dc have the udraw tablet too but tbhh they have had so much they haven't got round to playing it yet!
Sorry to hear of the wiped photos sad

ScramblyEgg Fri 28-Dec-12 21:35:12

Badvoc & Imogen, it could be worse than harmonicas.

Like an accordion, which I bought DS, and he loves. Gah!

Badvoc Fri 28-Dec-12 21:35:28

smile

imogengladhart Fri 28-Dec-12 21:35:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tiggles Fri 28-Dec-12 22:17:18

I picked up some Zhu Zhu hamsters and a whole load of armour and assault courses really cheaply, been a massive hit with ASD DS2 (6) and NT DS3 (4). Also the Switch and Go dinos have been played with loads by both of them. DS2 has spent hours with all his bakugan but they are his obsession so not surprising really. He doesn't play the 'proper' game with them, but loves just opening and closing them.
No harmonicas here, but DS1 very happy with his paper jam guitar and drumkit...

ThreeBoostsOneGalaxy Fri 28-Dec-12 22:38:55

The ones he is carrying around with him everywhere are the hex bug and the koosh.

ThreeBoostsOneGalaxy Fri 28-Dec-12 22:39:51

Like this only in green:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koosh_ball

A very small wind-up frog that flips a little somersault. Also a little dog. Also an ELC shape picture making magnetic thing (it has large magnetic shapes and a wooden board, plus some shape pictures to overlay on the board. She just loves matching things, what can I say? grin.

RinkyDinkyDoo Sun 30-Dec-12 19:47:51

Ali Baba- like Buckeroo and Monkey Madness. DH and myself did lots of shouting- "OOOOHHH there goes the camel" and "OOOOOHHH Monkey Madness" and tickling during the games which made them very popular- we've just played the 2 games for over an hour,much giggling going on. Also a thing that releases purple liquid blobs that spiral down and Mike the Knights castle.

osospecial Sun 30-Dec-12 21:35:56

Imogengladhart - have you tried taking it to a computer expert/repair place? They can sometimes retrieve lost things from pcs not sure about tablets but worth a go?
My dds best presents have been her bean bag and slinky toy
She did love her fish bubble lamp but that only lasted 3 days before she tipped it over,it broke and spilt 7.5 litres of water all over the dining room floor shock

we didn't do so well this year...most things unwrapped and untouched. He did watch the dvd and had me read him the spongbob book but thats about it unfortunately.

MurkyMinotaur Mon 31-Dec-12 12:06:39

As an autistic young adult, my best present has been old catalogues, from eBay, that feature my special interest.

Thought I'd mention the idea, in case it's a useful idea for another year or for a birthday idea.

Also, has anyone bought their children a Hoberman Sphere? They are brilliant for repeatedly opening and closing and have a scientific 'cool' factor. A little delicate for some children though.

I'm not sure whether it's ok to mention stores, but you might like 'SpaceKraft' and 'Office Playground' for sensory based toys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now