Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is it possible to tutor dd myself and if so can you please help me?

(8 Posts)

DD is ASD and dyspraxic

She is verbally bright but on paper is at 1a/2c/3c for Maths/Literacy/Reading.

In year 2 she achieved 2c/2b because there was a full time teacher in class to help.

So she CAN do it but she needs support and she is not getting it.

Main issues are problems with processing maths and ability to structure sentences and comprehension.

She does not know her number bonds or times tables but I know where to start with that.

IndigoBelle Sat 08-Dec-12 22:01:21

Of course you can tutor her yourself.

There are lots of very good teachers on the primary board, you just ask them for advice smile

So what do you want to teach her?

To answer that you need to know where she is now and what she needs to learn next.....

Then you need to decide how to teach her.

Luckily she reads well, that helps a lot.

Thanks Indigo

Have posted there now

Maths is awful, knows number bonds but can't apply them, only knows 2,5,10 times table, still counting on fingers.

Sentence structure in literacy pretty poor, spelling awful, struggles to find info in text and write it down.

Reading fine.

Very poor confidence and self esteem

zzzzz Sat 08-Dec-12 23:54:56

How old is your dd?

Are you talking about supplementing school or Home Educating?

Hi zzz she's ten. Year five and supplementing.

zzzzz Sun 09-Dec-12 00:19:07

Then yes you can give huge support.

I HE one of my child as he is severely language disordered and not thriving at school (understatement), I have 4 other children in school.

We haven't been doing it long but if you have an iPad there are 2 apps I find good "Intro to Maths" by Montessorium and Primary Maths. Both will firm up understanding to year 2 level ish. I would have a good look at the Montessori Maths equipment at Absorbent Minds, you don't need to buy it, most can be made, but it is brilliant for getting ideas across and practicing in avert visual way.

The primary Maths app is particularly good for seeing where you are IYKWIM. It's this one but I don't know how to link to an app!
appslists.net/app/235693/Maths-Skill-Builders---Primary---United-Kingdom

zzzzz Sun 09-Dec-12 00:21:05

I guess what I'm saying is firm up the early stuff first, then focus on later primary level.

Thankyou, that is really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now