Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

WTAF - weird psychologist

(31 Posts)
hiddenhome Fri 07-Dec-12 17:47:51

Me and dh have been seeing the consultant psychologist attached to CAMHS as part of ds1's assessment.

His pet theory appears to be that 'attachment disorder' as being responsible for most, if not all, developmental disorders hmm I even asked him outright if this was the cause of autism and he wouldn't give me a clear answer. I honestly fear that he believes it is sad

He went on to describe that neurons in the brain can be disrupted/destroyed if an infant isn't appropriately responded to and that even things like milk allergy and feeding problems can lead to AD as can PND (the universal get out clause). This seems to be quite a good get out clause for CAMHS who seem determined not to diagnose anybody with anything whatsoever at all.

I explained that ds1 was showing exactly the same problems that his father has even down to the soiling and tics, but this bloke was having none of it and basically tried to fob us off.

He acknowledged that 'Refrigerator Mother' theory was controversial, but that nobody has ever come up with a reasonal explanation for autism, asd, adhd etc. so this theory is as valid as anything else that has been suggested shock He said that asd, adhd, aspergers etc. all seem to have symptoms in common and many crossover points.

The most frightening thing about all this is that this bloke honestly believes this discredited drivel sad

How the actual fuck are we supposed to obtain an objective assessment?

Where do we go from here? I've told the school nurse that I don't really have any faith in this bloke, but she said that he has to start from scratch.

ds1 has never been neglected or abused.

mariammama Sat 08-Dec-12 11:03:44

Hidden, the guy is allowed to have his pet theories, but not to impose them on patients to the extent he completely ignores NHS guidelines.

In all honesty, given that most camhs rapidly dump dc with ASD following diagnosis, it won't matter if he thinks refrigerator mothers are the cause. This guy just needs to refer on to the right waiting lists to ensure ds's problems are properly defined, including ASD diagnosis if he has it.

bochead Sat 08-Dec-12 16:53:24

Put in a formal written request for a multi-disciplinary ADOS assessment, copy it to your GP, this chumps immediate boss & the school nurse.

Other than that all I can suggest is that you save up to go for a private assessment somewhere like GOSH.

I refuse to have anything to do with my local cahms nowadays after their stupidity delayed my own child's diagnosis several years to his considerable detriment.

Some types of AS/ASD are heriditary. The shrink is an idiot beyond acknowledging if he's unaware of this in 2012. Likewise he'd be looking seriously at ASD if only to rule it out prior to an attachment disorder diagnosis; if he were approaching this in an objective way. So many of the neuro-disorders are diagnosed partially by a process of elimination as much as anything else. On the same note it's possible to have an attachment disorder AND ASD (perhaps in a child that spent a lot of time in hospital as an infant).

Honking for you, as it's hard enough being worried sick about your child without having to deal with utter stupidity from those PAID to help you as well.

hiddenhome Sat 08-Dec-12 22:14:03

Thanks for that guidance bochead

hiddenhome Sun 09-Dec-12 23:35:52

I've been having a think about this and I'm not going to go back to see him. I also don't want ds1 talking to him. I have a thoroughly bad feeling about all this and it's just not going to work. This is about the fourth time I've been to CAMHS and it never works. ds1 doesn't need CAMHS, he needs a developmental paed and I'm never going to get access to one. We did see one privately, but that diagnosis isn't accepted sad

Everywhere I go, we come up against a brick wall. I fucking give up. What's the point? I feel that I have more idea about what's going on than these so called professionals. They're all a fucking joke angry

Me and dh can handle ds1, he's not out of control or failing at school. He's doing well in the ATC and we can coach and train him to keep on the straight and narrow.

We're not going to get a diagnosis and there's no point in fooling myself. There is something wrong with his wiring and everybody that's ever met him can see this, but I know it's just not severe enough. If he was causing trouble at school or in the neighbourhood, then we'd receive help, but he's not.

He's just going to have to learn to cope.

I'm done with all this shit. I'm phoning the school nurse on Tuesday to complain about this archaic psychologist and his weird, discredited theories. Perhaps the school nurse can get him some OT help or help with him losing his stuff and his social skills, but I do not want this fucking weirdo anywhere near my son. He's got 'joke' written all over him and my son's future should not be subject to this level of 'care'.

I am so angry and fed up, but we've done a good job with him this far and it'll just have to continue. Nobody can help. They don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

PipinJo Mon 10-Dec-12 01:22:35

I can see the headlines: Psychologist found cause of AD! Milk Allergy!

He would be battered by the dairy farmers!

Crazy man read to many psychoanalytical books!

Shellywelly1973 Mon 10-Dec-12 02:16:28

Op.

I know how you feel my Ds7 wasn't diagnosed with anything at Camhs or our local CDC. I reached the point of saying sod this,ds will have to learn to behave. I was sick to death of having my family literally exaimined inside out,told i was doing a great job&then nothing!

You will find it near impossible to access services such as OT without a diagnosis. As someone posted earlier get your son seen by a developmental pediatrician.

My ds was diagnosed at GOSH in the end. He was diagnosed with ASD&ADHD. As he's getting older the complexities of the two conditions are really only coming to light. He goes to an ASD specific school,something i couldn't have achieved for him without a diagnosis.

Don't let this twit at Camhs get to you. You will meet many twits during the process!

The systems we are forced to use are just systems. We are cogs in the systems,its just a process we are forced to go through,ultimately for the good of our children. I know its exhausting&infuriating but direct that infuriation at the systems,push your way through them!

Wishing you lots of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now