Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can anyone explain this - OT Sensory diet and sleep issues

(30 Posts)
Dev9aug Thu 11-Oct-12 01:16:11

We have been seeing a cranial osteopath for a number of weeks for ds1 for sleep related issues and it has helped a lot. He was also seen by the OT round about the same time and was prescribed at least 2x30 min sessions of OT every day to help develop his vestibular skills.

We have noticed that on days we had to lay the sensory diet off because he has had an adjustment with the osteopath, he sleeps better. On days when he had his sensory diet, his sleep is very poor, waking up in the middle of night and taking ages to fall asleep again. He needs the adjustments and he also needs the sensory diet so we are kind of flummoxed really.

Has anyone got experience of this and explain why this happens. how did you resolve it in the end if you did? TIA

madwomanintheattic Fri 12-Oct-12 14:45:48

Oh, that's interesting. We've been in Canada for over three years, so I hadn't realized.

Dev9aug Fri 12-Oct-12 16:45:55

I wanted to get Piedro boots for ds1 when he was referred to orthotics, was told that we don't give Piedro boots any more as there is no proven benefit. in the next breath he said,. But you could try ankle boots from timberland/cat etc, they might help. [hmmm]

Dev9aug Fri 12-Oct-12 16:47:13

Do Piedro boots help with toe walkers and if they do, can I get them privately. NHS won't refer and Piedro won't sell them to me directly.

madwomanintheattic Fri 12-Oct-12 16:55:12

They do, but it depends on the reason and if anything else might be better (ie, AFOs, if it's to do with tightening or spasticity rather than sensory)

Dd2 had neuro soles in hers - essentially they have a slightly different shaped base with a strategically placed bump (technical term) which from what I can gather encourages more normal gait, or foot placement.

Mostly they are prescribed for stability though, I think. Dd2 had issues with stability, and very unstable ankles (feet rolled inwards) as well as the neuro stuff.

It's worth a try though. I think for predominantly sensory toe walkers there may be very little benefit, unless there are other reasons alongside which heighten the tendency?

Yes, you can buy them privately, but tbh you are better off trying kickers first. If the PCT will allow you to order through them, but pay yourself, it knocks off a few quid as well. They are pricey. (We sometimes ordered two different pairs at the same time, one paid for by the PCT, one by us, but the PCT get much better rates than private customers, usually.)

SallyBear Fri 12-Oct-12 17:13:33

Dev. DS is a toe walker, and it is purely a sensory thing with him. I make him walk on as many different surfaces as I can and keep telling him "Feet down!" It works, sort of!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now