Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

question about wheelchair trolley attachments at supermarket

(19 Posts)
Galena Wed 10-Oct-12 17:35:47

Don't fit on DD's little wheelchair (Action 3 Junior). Luckily she's small enough that I can still fit her in the trolley seat. If DH is with us, she goes in her wheelchair and one of us pushes her and the other pushes the trolley.

mymatemax Tue 09-Oct-12 18:18:53

Thatsv theadvantage of having cp & asd, ds2 cant undo the harness or do a runner smile

Triggles Tue 09-Oct-12 07:16:42

It's a frustrating situation to get around, isn't it? Technically speaking, I have DS2 in either a wheelchair or the child wheelchair trolley and then DS3 (3yo) in the seat of a regular trolley. A bit impossible. Which is why either DH has to come along (which he's not keen on, as he works at the supermarket and doesn't like to go there when he's not working lol) or DH stays home with one child and I bring one child. DS3 is a real hand full right now in the supermarket - he's getting too tall for the seat in the trolley and wants to walk, but gets tired and cranky and wants to go everywhere but where I want him to go! So it's actually easier (from a behaviour standpoint) to take DS2. Except for the whole wheelchair part of it.

sigh......

Pixel Mon 08-Oct-12 20:19:55

We gave up on the SN trollies as the harnesses are always useless and ds would escape halfway round the shop which would leave me completely stuck. At least with a normal trolley there's half a chance of moving it one-handed even if you have to do it a bit at a time but the SN ones are hard enough with two hands.

mymatemax Mon 08-Oct-12 18:45:25

Yes ds1 pushes his brother or the trolley, both usually end up skidding around the corner ahead of me.

bigbluebus Mon 08-Oct-12 17:08:32

DD was never able to sit up, so couldn't use one of those SN trollies. In the school holidays, have always been restricted to whatever I could fit in a basket, precariously balanced on her head rest or having to shop at night after DH was home. Tried home deliveries and didn't get on with it at all.

Since DS was old enough to push a trolley, he has had to help me out. WHen he was about 8, he used to push ride on the trolley until it got too heavy to steer and then he would swap and push his sister into the back of people's legs as he wasnt tall enough to see her foot rest whilst I pushed the trolley. Now he is a teenager, he has to be bribed and the amount of crap that goes in the trolley is unbelievable. The food bill goes up big style when he comes with me, so I try and avoid as much as possible.

Triggles Mon 08-Oct-12 16:56:20

No, they're not. Can't do a full shop with them either. But certainly can't push a wheelchair as well as big trolley on my own. Ah well!

starfishmummy Mon 08-Oct-12 15:53:22

It sort of fitted on DS's wheelchair BUT I think the ones I tried sort of rely on the wheelchair user also holding the trolley handles, as chair and trolley moved apart and we got longer as we went round. It was a good job it was a quiet day in the supermarket - we needed one of those "long vehicle" signs and going round corners was very difficult. Mind you the ones with the big seat for "disabled children" are not easy to steer either!

justaboutiswarm Mon 08-Oct-12 00:37:56

It depends which supermarket! I used it with an SN buggy at Morrisons and it worked. The ones at Tescos didn't.

Triggles Sun 07-Oct-12 23:16:08

thank you though for the info that they don't fit... that's wretched... would be nice

Triggles Sun 07-Oct-12 23:15:32

I try to... not always possible, although more likely now that school is in... it's balancing my schedule (3 different school runs during day, appointments, deliveries, etc) that can make it a bit hectic

mymatemax Sun 07-Oct-12 23:03:24

No, ds2's wchair doesnt fit.
I usually get one of those big sn seat trolleys, if there are non available I balance a basket & buy less.
Tbh I always do a big shop on my own.

Triggles Sun 07-Oct-12 21:54:43

He usually walks with me to the trolleys, as we can generally find a spot fairly close. He is mobile (a runner even) but can't tolerate long distances or anything that involves sensory overload (pretty much any shop). And leaving him in the car by himself even for a couple seconds is a "no-go." He's already figured out that while we have child safety locks on the rear doors, the front doors do not - and even if I lock the car from the outside, he knows he can get out if he gets to the front doors of the car.

I'll probably try it with DH present as well. One of us can take the wheelchair over and try it and if it works bring it back, while the other waits in the car with the boys. DS2 would cope with that better - no change of plans going from one wheelchair to the wheelchair trolley IYSWIM.

bigbluebus Sun 07-Oct-12 21:35:42

Would your DS wait in the car by himself whilst you went across to the trollies and brought one over to the car to try it. Assuming you are parked in a disabled space would you still be in view? How do you normally get him to the 'disabled child' trolley?

Triggles Sun 07-Oct-12 21:25:14

so does it attach to the base of the seat? or arms? DS2 is 6yo and his wheelchair is teeeeeny (at least to me it seems so!). Obviously he's small with a little bum.... (I'd need a double-wide! grin)

48Hours Sun 07-Oct-12 21:12:33

ds's chair is quite big (as is he) and the trolley fits on okish. The attachments do slide off occassionally but it is easy enough to fix them back in. He is 11 though and 5'6 already so not really a small child!

Triggles Sun 07-Oct-12 21:08:16

heheheheeee. I may have to try it out. I'm not worried about looking a prat - wouldn't be the first time. grin But I don't want to upset DS2 getting him up to store in wheelchair, then having to switch him over to child w/c trolley, and then figure out how to get our w/c back to car. lol That'd be a right mess!

bigbluebus Sun 07-Oct-12 21:00:02

Sorry can't help, but watching with interest as have often wondered that myself. Is it a standard type child's wheelchair? DD has a Mojo with a large footbox, so I didn't think they would fit hers but have never been brave enough to look a prat try.

Triggles Sun 07-Oct-12 20:52:52

I've seen those trolleys that attach to the front of wheelchairs - do they attach to a child's wheelchair? Hoping someone here has tried it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now