Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

friday night thread

(65 Posts)

always fancied starting one lol but not around much till most are in bed.

moosemama Fri 05-Oct-12 23:12:47

I don't think it's silly at all. In fact I could do with doing one for myself. I tend to get to the end of the day, realise the dcs are in bed and I haven't done x, y and z even though it's popped into my head several times throughout the day.

Even things like making sure I read enough times with ds2 need to be stuck on a chart, because he's another one that's missed out while I/we've been focussing on ds1. Bless him, he just comes in, sits down and gets on with his homework while I am wrestling with ds1 to get him to start, stay on task and actually produce something that's worth handing in. I actually helped ds2 produce a couple of fact-sheets last week and suddenly realised how little involvement I've had in his work over the past couple of years, whereas ds1 has had tonnes of help from me. The thing is ds2 isn't naturally as academic as ds1, so in reality he probably needs my help more. sad But it's another case of 'he who shouts loudest ...' and all that, I guess.

Moose, - meant to say - thank you for the love bomb tip/reminder. I think that is probably just what we need tbh.

I've got a timetable on the wall of little things that need to be completed for each child each day, - so I'll add that on.

A bit silly that I have to have a reward chart for myself for playing with my daughter but honestly, she's been put on hold whilst we sorted out ds, and now he is done, we have a 3.5month old that can get around - grrrr

So did my boss, still getting teased about it several months later grin

ouryve Fri 05-Oct-12 22:18:23

My shoulders can't deal with those oversized jobbies. (And I have one i picked up cheap to use as a knitting bag and can get naff all in it, anyhow!)

I had to remove a set of wheels from a Thomas megasketcher from mine, yesterday. DS2 had given up on mixing his own letter magnets with the ones at school by then and decided to try something new. About the 4th time he dropped one on the ground so they all had to go on the ground before being picked up again, I confiscated them. Not just because we were running late, but because there was a really shitty bit of pavement coming up and I didn't fancy dealing with that!

bialystockandbloom Fri 05-Oct-12 22:16:28

pmsl at the contents of your bag lola grin

I had an allen key in my bag for a ridiculously long time.

moose. The problem with over sized handbags is you carry around loads of utter CRAP (and do your back in in the process)

My lowlight was when I had to find something from it for my new boss and she questioned what I had in there. Apart from the usual papers, wipes, pens, tissues, sweet wrappers etc, I had a complete set of Teletubbies, an empty banana guard, an adjustable spanner and a sprouting potato blush

But they do detract from your overall size grin

ouryve Fri 05-Oct-12 22:01:12

bs&b a lot of people do that with my name!

whatthe - I have a raspberry pink leopardprint top. DS1 calls it my wig top because he thinks the spots look like wigs!

And life is much calmer and less shouty now DS1 is in bed. He chilled out a bit to the 1970s music stuff on BBC4 before going up and was disappointed that I wouldn't let him stay up for the Jeff Lynne documentary.

I did get some lovely DS2 cuddles before he went up, though.

oooh - just seen a trailer for a BBC4 Big Science season. TV's going to get good, this week!

moosemama Fri 05-Oct-12 21:41:27

Evening Lola, I must've missed your thread. Sorry.

Sounds like your week and mine have been very similar. Dh started his new job on Monday and I hardly see him now. sad

Your post has just made me consider the possibility of an oversized handbag to cover up detract from all the weightgain I've had over the past couple of months. Maybe handbags do have their uses after all. wink

moosemama Fri 05-Oct-12 21:38:04

NoHaudin, that's about the size of it. At one point they told me that in the absence of any other explanation my lesions were probably down to age - I was 35 at the time and the lesions weren't new. hmm Then when I was referred back to her when things got worse last year and she stated categorically that I am still too young to have age related lesions, hence the lumbar puncture and evoked potential testing. confused

I have now been told that they can't do any more until I suffer another 'major event or episode' but their idea of major and mine seem to differ considerably. hmm

Can I also confess to an increasing appreciation for hand bags. I'm blaming it on me no longer looking nice in clothes so I am concentrating on accessoriesgrin

Hi all. I'm not realty sulking that you ignored me first Friday thread. It's taken a long time to clean myself up after a messy day at work in which I dyed my skin(face, neck, arms and one boob!!!) blue, my hair green (blue on blonde hair) and my shoes grey with gloss floor paint blush

Apart from that it's been a thoroughly rubbish week as dh has started his new job and is never home when I'm awake.

But I see that it's better than some of your weeks sad. star sorry to hear about your uncle.

Inside my handbag I have a biro, a wallet, a badge made by smallest ds (says 'hard day at work', love him) and a lipgloss.
Next to me however, I have some lovely salted popcorn. <Passes>

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 05-Oct-12 21:28:44

Moose sorry you're no further forward. It is frustrating to be unwell but have no answers. Your neurologist sounds a bit like the one I saw last. He told me I wasn't disabled by my symptoms. No I don't think not being able to walk more than a few yards without a stick or use my right arm properly is disabling. I am 53 after all what can I expect? confused

bialystockandbloom Fri 05-Oct-12 21:28:18

Mmm thanks moose. Goes nicely with the bottle glass of wine.

<studiously ignores mentions of whatthe's onsie, shudder>

moosemama Fri 05-Oct-12 21:26:25

bialy, I didn't really have mouldy raisins in mind. hmm grin

You can share my Thorntons chocolates instead though, I've made myself feel a bit sick stuffing them on my own. blush

bialystockandbloom Fri 05-Oct-12 21:22:49

My mum, who is extraordinarily scatter-brained, drives me insane, she carries around a small handbag inside a larger kind of tote bag (wtf?), and the first thing she does when she comes round is start unpacking everything. Then, because she is so infuriatingly vague, when she comes to leave she has the whole household (even little dd) searching for her car keys/glasses/phone/purse etc.

And if she stays overnight she will absolutely always leave reading glasses/make up bag/wash bag/kindle/random bag which carries one of the above.

Arrggghhhhhhh.

moosemama Fri 05-Oct-12 21:20:15

Nah TimeTraveller, you can stay. grin

I love a bowl of porridge me, slow cooked with grated apple and a spoonful of cinnamon. It's creamy and smooth if you cook it right y'know.

NoHaudin, I hope the MRI yields some answers for you. Mine threw up more questions than answers and I'm back at square one now, having been dumped back onto annual neuro reviews because apparently I'm not likely to drop dead any minute, although if I do, I'm to go straight back. hmm

bialystockandbloom Fri 05-Oct-12 21:19:28

moose you are welcome to share the contents of my current actually it is Mulberry handbag:

purse
lip balm
hand cream
keys
phone
various hair clips (dd)
scattered mouldy raisins (dd & ds)
several hundred old shopping lists & receipts
a few hair bands (dd)
the kind of unidentifiable bits of grot that always find their way there
used to be fags and lighter but not any more, sob, god i miss it

Anything there take your fancy? No cake or booze I'm afraid grin

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Fri 05-Oct-12 21:05:33

How has this thread turned into an anti-handbag rant? I always have a very small handbag to stop myself from carrying around loads of clutter, which I would if I allowed myself a large one. Trouble is, I have to de clutter it often, and put all the important crap 'in a safe place' which then goes missing for about a year. Are you getting a nice image of my housework skills? grin

Too many posts, just a few highlights.

Happy birthday for tomorrow Alison , you share your birthday with DS2. My DS3 saw We Will Rock You in June for their school trip as they did it for their KS2 show. He loved it but I was very jealous...

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Star. sad It wasn't that long ago you lost your dad. (((hugs)))

Whatthe, don't go venturing on AIBU in your onesie, you'll get short shrift. grin

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 05-Oct-12 20:57:15

Star sorry to hear about your uncle.
Hazey hope you all recover from the vomiting bug soon. They can be so debilitating.

Tiredness glad that Ds got on alright even with his class away. He may well enjoy secondary better. My Ds really blossomed once he started secondary, in spite of still having major issues.

What the sorry things are so hard for your Ds at the moment.

Sign good luck with the tidying, I'm not at all surprised you are still at it.

I had an MRI scan today to see if the cause of my funny muscle/sensations symptoms can be identified. TBH I'm not really expecting it to show anything and I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that they are due to sheer exhaustion over many years.

TheTimeTravellersWife Fri 05-Oct-12 20:57:10

Oh dear! "I think I'd better get my coat" I'm a bit of a handbag addict, I once had a Dolce and Gabbana (charity shop find) I think that it was probably a fake replica.

Liquor porridge? I have definitely missed something! Not keen on porridge though, its the texture...gloopy, yet lumpy...maybe I'm not making it right.

moosemama Fri 05-Oct-12 20:42:58

Top notch expletive ouryve, might have to borrow that one myself if things keep up the way they've been recently. grin <whispers> I will admit to owning one very small black very unobtrusive cross body bag for those occasions when stuffing pockets just wouldn't give the right impression. wink

Tiredness, glad ds has had a good week. Ds1 has also been making powerpoint presentations this week, although he has been doing them at home, about Pokemon and adding too many, too loud sound effects. hmm grin

shock at mince pies. They are officially banned in this house until 1st December, although I will admit to having bought some hot-cross-buns for ds2 and dd from Tesco today. confused blush confused

Notactually and bialy, you may stay - but only if you have enough stacks and goodies to share stashed in those bags of yours. grin

Whatthe, I have a rather fetching purple onesie that dh bought me last christmas. I look a touch too much like Tinky Winky of Teletubby fame in it, but it's far too warm and comfy to care. grin

Star - liqueur porridge? confused I think I've missed summat somewhere?

bialystockandbloom Fri 05-Oct-12 20:31:28

notactuallyme <whispers> I love bags too, esp Mulberry ones.

ouryve something you'd like to get off your chest? grin

Btw I have read your name as 'our vye all this time, thinking it was some sort of Coronation St kind of lingo like 'Our Violet'. Doh.

Oh dear. DP just in upstairs bathroom, flushed the loo, and ds who I thought was fast asleep shouted out "who flushed the toilet?? Mummy or Daddy?" He must have some of radar. Sigh.

Ooh, now I want one. Especially after discovering you can add liqueurs to porridge from the main board today, can't think of anything snag glider.

Lol. I envy you your grab and go ability. I do the charging around the house with the buggy halfway out of the door trying to figure out which item of clothing last held my key, and having to try and identify it from the coins (don't do key rings either) shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now