Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

what will happen ?

(8 Posts)
Ineedalife Fri 05-Oct-12 13:34:31

Hmm, DISCO might not be the best way to go for you then.

If CAMHS say they want to do it I think you might need to mention that you struggle to remember the early days.

good lucksmile

thriftychic Fri 05-Oct-12 11:34:17

thankyou ineedalife. i think i might struggle remembering the early years behaviours as ds2 was ill alot and it was all i focussed on , i had anxiety and was very stressed and now seem to only be able to remember certain things.

Ineedalife Thu 04-Oct-12 21:39:27

The DISCO is a set of questions which we were asked, the answers are scored 0,1 or 2 for no issues, minor issues and major issues. The scores are added up and along with all other info from other proffs a diagnosis is either made or not made.

Dd3's was done at CAMHS by a psychiatrist who had been trained to administer the test, we were asked for both parents to be present for all of the test and it takes between 4 and 6 hours to complete. We did it in 3 sessions and it was around 5 hours.

It is extremely detailed and asks quite alot about when they were little.
I thought it was very thorough and it covered all areas from eating habits, to social behaviour to motor skills.

For us I felt it was a last push to get some answers about Dd3, it had been very difficult to get to this point due to an unsupportive school and her behaving differently in different settings.

thriftychic Thu 04-Oct-12 20:35:21

so what are they ? the ados , i only got snippets of what went on from ds2 but it sounded a bit weird in a babyish sort of way. what happens with the others ?

wasuup3000 Thu 04-Oct-12 19:19:53

and there is also the 3di x

thriftychic Thu 04-Oct-12 19:17:16

thankyou smile

Ineedalife Thu 04-Oct-12 16:25:31

Yes, my Dd3 never had an ADOS, she was diagnosed using a DISCO assessment and from reports made by SALT, OT and teachers.

The DISCO was developed by Lorna Wing to diagnose those people who are proving difficult to diagnose.

Good luck, whatever it turns out to besmile

thriftychic Thu 04-Oct-12 16:11:53

ds2 (13) had the ados test 2 years ago and fromthat camhs concluded that it wasnt asd that was the problem .
in between times we were royally messed about by a camhs worker who did absolutely nothing , saw ds2 once and a lot of time elapsed with no appoinments or anything. after me complaining and now being put with a different camhs worker it has been decided that we can see an experienced psychologist for a second opinion.

he saw ds2 yesterday and will see me and dh on our own next week. I think he said that he was going to be doing a different assessment with ds2 . i have no idea what he said / did with ds2 yesterday as ds2 doesnt want to talk about it.

is there another type of assessment ? does anyone know whats going on ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now