Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

NEW Tinsley house support thread -part 2!!

(977 Posts)
Badvoc Fri 21-Sep-12 20:05:07

Hello everyone!
Thought I should start a new thread as we were nearing 1000 posts! smile
Indigo is no longer posting as you all know, but I think it would be such a shame for the support thread to go too.
I know I find reading about all the ups and downs we all experience very helpful and it's so great to hear all the progress smile
So.
We go back to TH next month and can't wait. So interested to see of the tracking programme has worked. I think ds1s reading speed has improved and he is now reading proper chapter books!
He continues to show less anxiety, OCD behaviour and stress.
He is eating better and is generally a much happier chap.
Looking forward to hearing from you all over the next few weeks/months...X

P.s I would also say his 1-1 needs to be more creative about ways for him to access learning without writing if he absolutely will not write. There are a million ways he can show whether or not he understood the lesson without writing. Can't she produce tick sheets or cloze exercises? Lots of children in year one may not be able to prove they have accessed the curriculum by writing about it.

DaftMaul Fri 22-Mar-13 14:59:20

Best of luck unimama. It sounds as though the Easter break has come at the right time for your ds. Maybe starting TH during the hols will help him have a fresh start next term. I agree with the onegrinne sessions being the key at the moment.

Do you think his refusal to do written work is because he has difficulties with physically writing or is it more the planning of what he wants to say? Or both? Ds learnt to touchtype last year and it has really helped his written work - he doesn't worry about it looking messy and the quality of what he writes is improving.

I so hope that TH can help your ds. Has he been assessed by an Educational Psychologist? I know there are mixed feelings about them on here but we found it very useful to see what specific areas ds struggled with and equally where his strengths were.

Ds and I are off to my sister's tonight ready for our appointment with Robin tomorrow. Hoping to finish with the tracking - he has crept (slowly) up to level 16, hopefully that will be enough!

Keep warm everyone!

Hi everyone, Hope everyone is looking forward to the weekend.

I am coming on here to have a little boast. I got some great feedback from DD's nursery today.

The OT went in to do some work with her and she also had her speech and language group. They were delighted with her as she did everything that was asked of her.

Apparently, her concentration, turn taking, listening and speech has improved and they said she has made a massive leap. She also played with another child yesterday. Not next to but with! grin It was SO good to hear and has really bolstered me up.

Unfortunately, I then went over to a friends and there were three other little girls there DD's age. She knows them all, but she could not join in their games and for the first time she seemed bothered by it. And it was very hard to see her still so far behind. So she is making progress, but she has a long way to go. So now feel a bit sad and low which is a shame as at lunch time I was really happy. confused

unimama I hope your visit to Robin goes well.

Badvoc Fri 22-Mar-13 15:49:39

That's great unimama smile

Badvoc Fri 22-Mar-13 15:49:56

Or rather prince....sorry!
Still pretty sleep deprived....

Ruggles Fri 22-Mar-13 16:58:07

Hi unimama - that's great news about your appointment. I hope it goes really well. Happy to chat to you about Dr Goyal too.

Daft have fun tonight and good luck for tom.

Prince - well done Mini Prince. She is doing so well. DS never used to join in at some parties and not others, I keep feeling up and down about this, but DH keeps telling me that he is practicing and will get better!

Badvoc Keep your chin up!

DD was better but lasted two hours at nursery before being sent home with conjunctivitis. I suppose two hours is better than nothing, but wonder if I should have kept her home and avoided it...

Our meet up is on Tuesday 9th April and everyone is very welcome! We are planning on a picnic lunch in Windsor Park.

Badvoc Sat 23-Mar-13 09:11:45

Well it's very snowy here smile
15 cms and still going...I shall hibernate this weekend.
Dc will be climbing the walls, but never mind.
Dh and ds2 still coughing like mad sad
Got a Skype appt,with robin a week on thurs...very interested to see what ps next! smile

DaftMaul Sat 23-Mar-13 17:39:06

Bit of a hairy drive back up the M3 at lunchtime back from seeing Robin but our weather is no-where near as bad some some of you are experiencing!

So, a bit more tracking and back to Where's Wally for a bit. Was hoping for something new but Robin wants ds to have a chance to get used to his new meds before introducing the next thing. We will most likely miss out the other hemi stims and move on to lumosity in a few weeks.

Ds had just managed to polish off the other half of an Easter egg (that my sister gave him) for breakfast! Oops!

puddleofpiddle Sat 23-Mar-13 18:04:50

Hi all, just dropping in for a few minutes and a quick post, I don't have nearly enough mumsnetting time these days! DS1 has an ear infection so has been having a duvet day but has made a lot of progress with engaging eyes and target practise - he's completed game a and is halfway through game b. His stair exercises are going well too and he is now doing the going up backwards/coming down forwards which I think is going to be slower to master, poor ds is wobbling all over the place! But his attitude has transformed grin he frequently offers to do his homework and is able to do it without me standing with him and struggling over every step, he just seems more... joined up if that makes sense? We're going back next week and looking forward to finding out what happens next!

I also wanted to ask if anyone is having trouble getting hold of floradix? I've managed to get hold of some online but I was ordering it through my work as I get a discount and teh pharmacist said there was an issue with the supplier and they didn't know when they'd be able to get it in next. So it may be worth stocking up!

Badvoc Sun 24-Mar-13 18:55:54

Hi puddle. So glad ds is doing well. I don't use floradix but thanks for the heads up x

zzzzz Sun 24-Mar-13 22:18:46

Hi all. Some of you may know me from the rest of the sn board. I come begging information. This may be boring!

I would normally have posted Indigo but she has gone and I am a little stretched this week with serious illness in my more extended family. I have 2 children with sn and a third who is struggling with reading and confidence and is wriggley (this is an understatement). We have had enormous success with adding supplements to ds1 (severe language disorder) and have decided to broaden our scope to try and help ds2 (wriggler).

At the moment ds1 has Epsom salt baths, abidec, and omega oil. He is so sensitive to these I can tell when he doesn't take them, and we must do abidec in the morning or he talks all night. We are utterly convinced that nutritionally we are going in the right direction and want to do things in a more focused way.

Before she went Indigo posted some links to different vitamins she had found useful and I have idiotically lost them. I think one was Florisomething but there were three. Does anyone know what I am half remembering?

Ds(1) is very attached to spaghetti bolognaise (ie it is his main source of nutrition). Mostly I cook it but he also has it as microwave meals when I am in a rush. blush. While pretty unmoved by horsemeat as a horror, I was unimpressed with the "we don't know what antibiotics etc the horses had before they hit the gravy" idea and so have avoided any ready made spag for some time. Ds1 has again shown some improvement, so we are thinking of moving away from any processed food at all. Does that sound barmy? I am a good cook and can find the time so we are taking the plunge his holidays. Advice welcome and also any information on hidden processing I might not think of. IYKWIM.

Ruggles Mon 25-Mar-13 06:33:14

Hello zzzz. Indigo is fab at this stuff and really understands so much about the impact of diet and supplements.

I'm afraid I don't know nearly as much as her but we have been following the Tinsley House diet / supplements / exercises since November and it has made a tremendous difference to our dcs.

We take Vegepa
Floradix Kindervital
Floradix Saludynam

The diet is laid out in the second book The Brain Food Plan

It is quite a simple diet of mainly home cooked food - my mother says it is very similar to the food she was bought up on. You eat more protein, fish, veggies and eat less processed food, carbs and sugars.

It can seem a bit daunting at first and I speak from experience, as I tend to have a bit of a panic about things, before getting on with them blush blush I plan our food by the week and batch cook where ever possible, so out of every shepherds pie/lasagne/casserole I am freezing c.4 meals plus have left overs for a couple of days. As our dcs are young, I cook for DH and I in the evening and then the children have it the next day. I have worked out loads of ways of making it work - let me know if you'd like to know more.

I was worried about the dcs accepting it. My ds 4 is brilliant and loves it all. DD is not so sure about veggies, but I am sure we'll get there eventually

I've seen Dr Goyal a couple of times and he is convinced that the diet thing is huge for our children.

Good luck!

Ruggles Mon 25-Mar-13 06:34:24

Puddle - sounds like things are going really well. Thanks for the info on the Floradix, I am going to have a stock up. smile

zzzzz Mon 25-Mar-13 07:42:53

Thanks Ruddles. It's my nature to procrastinate about things while I get my head round them. I think I have that book on Kindle, or perhaps the first one. I will go and check. To be honest I don't think we eat that badly anyway, but my most vulnerable eats far more processed food than the rest of us, which is crap.

I will have a look at those supplements, thank you.

Badvoc Mon 25-Mar-13 07:56:32

Hi zzzzz smile
Basicallly ruggles has covered it!
My ds also had a pretty good diet prior to th and yet by making some small changes we have seen huge improvement...I was looking back at his old paed letters (from 2007 to last year) and it is clear that for a period of time he was just not growing sad
Fast forward to now....and he is nearly on the 91st centile for height and weight smile
He is just about to have posh cheese on toast for breakfast (toasted muffins, tomato/pasta sauce and grated mozerella)
Good luck x

zzzzz Mon 25-Mar-13 08:18:55

I feel a little cross eyed now! I guess my concern is that I might overdose them on vitamins by giving it is 2 different forms. I'm also a bit nervous about swapping around too much as ds is totally accepting of his abidec now.

Does the abidec have artificial sweetener in it? The main reason Robin recommends the kinder vital ones is because they have nothing artificial in them. We used Bassett multivitamins for years before doing TH and have recently gone back to them ( cost and ds absolutely hated the taste of the others) to no ill effect. My view would be keep going with the same vitamins if they work for you, particularly if you plan to eradicate other sweetners from his diet. Which omega 3 do you use? We have found the vegepa has much more effect than the old one we used. I think this is because of the higher EPA.
I'm convinced adding a protein breakfast has significantly reduced ds' wriggliness. He can concentrate for much longer periods and the science makes sense that protein would help with that. He usually has scrambled egg with lots of cheddar mixed in with a slice of home made brown bread. I still let him have the occasional yogurt afterwards if he's still hungry. We also do hummus wrap, fish fingers ( good quality ones) and sausages some days. Once a week I let him have him have cereal but only after the protein breakfast. I wish he would eat beans on toast as that would be a nice quick breakfast.
Re evening meals I find I'm doing a roast twice a week instead of once, we have chicken thighs and drumsticks quite often and fish three times a week. We all eat together ( or dh gets his on a plate to reheat later) so it's not too much hassle. I've swapped to brown pasta and home make brown bread. Have you tried brown spaghetti? Mine didn't notice the difference when we changed. I think it's less noticeable than with thicker pasta shapes.
Just realised I've written an essay smile hope it helps

DaftMaul Mon 25-Mar-13 09:44:31

Hi Zzzz, my 11yr old ds has 1 x Vegepa (the stronger ones), Multibionta, Osteocare per day. That covers the essential fatty acids, zinc, magnesium and multivitamin. Luckily, ds prefers tablets!

The biggest change for us diet wise, was making sue that ds had protein for breakfast. So no more cereal!

Badvoc Mon 25-Mar-13 11:13:20

Basically you need to find supplements/vits that ha no artificial sweeteners or colours in. Sadly vits aimed at kids mostly do have these added sad
We use vegepa chewables and mag/zinc form holland and barrat.
I understand your reluctance when you have fund something that they will take willingly, but it may actually not be at great for him.
Do watch out for sucrose and sulphides too.

Badvoc Mon 25-Mar-13 18:59:03

Well day 1 of Easter hols almost over....phew it's been a long day!
We have lots of snow still so only been to see my mum and to the shops...had to wait in this morning for the man to come and fix the wi fi hub...grr.
Then the vicar popped in which was unexpected. I am wavering about the PCC now! Gah.
Ds2 still coughing poor thing.
Would quite like to go to bed now! smile

Ruggles Mon 25-Mar-13 19:07:55

We've just done day 1 too, only another 3.5 weeks to go! Boys were popping this afternoon, so think I need to wrap them up and get some fresh air tomorrow.

Badvoc Mon 25-Mar-13 19:14:08

It I don't likkkkeee fresh air!.....
<wails>
It's too....fresh!

zzzzz Tue 26-Mar-13 08:37:19

Protein is an issue anyway as ds has a very restricted diet. He only eats meat if it is minced. I will check abidec for sweeteners as hadn't even thought of that!

We use a vegetarian omega oil supplement, but haven't for the last month so could swap.

Pills/chewables won't work. It has to go in a syringe or mix in.

I think removing processed food as a start will help. Things take longer to implement as ds has a restricted diet anyway and I need to introduce replacements (weeks work) before removing anything. It's hard to understand if you haven't experienced true restricted diet, but things are not a straight forward as just serve it up a few times till he'll take it. It's one of the reasons I am so careful about what we try. (The other being I am just plain slow)

Thank you all for your time it all helps enormously.

Lookslikerain Tue 26-Mar-13 09:50:53

Well there I was ready to come on here and boast about our 'poo in the toilet' this morning with DS, then in the time it took me to get a new nappy he'd done another one on the kitchen floor. It's all a step in the right direction! And he's telling us when he needs changed which is just so brilliant.

Does anyone have any breakfast inspiration? DS won't eat egg, sausage etc for breakfast so we'd been going down the fish finger route which worked for a couple of weeks but I think he's got fish finger fatigue and isn't so keen now. Any other ideas? Sometimes he'll eat cheese on toast with beans. It's getting to the point that some days he's not really eating much breakfast then looking for a snack really soon afterwards.

puddle thanks for your warning about floradix. I'd set up a subscribe and save at the weekend and it was saying there were only 15 bottles left. Mine have been dispatched now so hoping they don't run out.

zzzzz I know it won't be the same for everyone, but we've noticed that DS (3) has been much more open to trying new foods since changing his diet and upping the protein, cutting the additives etc. There weren't many to begin with there are much less now! I go round the supermarket with my little book of additives looking things up! Calpol was the one I hadn't thought about. I need to go quiz a pharmacist as most paracetamol/ibuprofen solutions for kids either has sweetener or loads of E numbers. Also, since changing his diet, I'm noticing its almost as if he naturally low-carbs himself. Neither DS or DD are keen on rice, potatoes etc. The only carb they love is pasta (now wholemeal). So we might have breaded chicken with different veg for dinner but no actual 'filling-up' type carb. Wrt cakes, biscuits etc, again it seems like we've broken an addiction with him. He no longer asks for a biscuit, chocolate etc. That helps me not to feel like a mean mummy!

Lookslikerain Tue 26-Mar-13 09:52:38

Oh, and the vegepa omega are really orangey. I snip the top, squeeze onto a spoon and DS takes it that way. He quite likes them. And I'm sure there's a discount code for buying them via the website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now