Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

NEW Tinsley house support thread -part 2!!

(977 Posts)
Badvoc Fri 21-Sep-12 20:05:07

Hello everyone!
Thought I should start a new thread as we were nearing 1000 posts! smile
Indigo is no longer posting as you all know, but I think it would be such a shame for the support thread to go too.
I know I find reading about all the ups and downs we all experience very helpful and it's so great to hear all the progress smile
So.
We go back to TH next month and can't wait. So interested to see of the tracking programme has worked. I think ds1s reading speed has improved and he is now reading proper chapter books!
He continues to show less anxiety, OCD behaviour and stress.
He is eating better and is generally a much happier chap.
Looking forward to hearing from you all over the next few weeks/months...X

Ruggles Tue 19-Feb-13 19:47:46

That's a lot in one day, but I'm sure it will be worth it. It's really good that family can help out with DD - you can focus on your day. I'd ask Robin where you should head for as I'm sure he'll be able to recommend a good plan.

Don't feel nervous - Robin is great with DCs and it may sound funny, but we really enjoyed our first appointment. He asks lots of questions about the birth, early months / milestones and then does some tests. Robin is very engaging with children and DS thought he was great - in fact, he loved it!

I really hope your day goes well.

DaftMaul Tue 19-Feb-13 21:36:21

Hi lookslikerain, Brockenhurst is a fairly small (but perfectly formed) village. There is a water splash at one end of the village 'High Street'.

There are a couple of cafés, pubs, newsagent. It is only 10 mins drive from the station to Robin's, a lovely drive through the forest.

How much time do you have to 'kill'? If the weather is dry (although I think it will be cold) you can have a walk in the forest and see some New Forest ponies. You could hire bikes too if you have a while to occupy.

I'll have another think about what you could do if you have lots of time to use up. We may be just down the road but not sure how long will be around for before heading home.

Lookslikerain Wed 20-Feb-13 15:17:54

DaftMaul and Ruggles that's great, thanks. thanks Just what I needed to know. We won't have too much time to kill, but I didn't know whether we were better spending it in the airport or brockenhurst. It should be better on the way back up, and I think DS will be shattered by then. He's v excited about going on a plane. DH told him about the plane this morning and he's been nagging me all day about it! 2 planes and 2 trains all in the same day. It might be the most exciting day of his whole life (big transport fan)!

DaftMaul Wed 20-Feb-13 17:34:15

Another option (and more trains!) is to get the little train from Brock into Lymington which is a slightly larger town - with chain restaurants, supermarkets, lots more shops, a lovely quay with fishing boats and a marina (more transport theme!)

Badvoc Thu 21-Feb-13 14:47:45

Well, it's only been 9 days and I have failed abysmally smile
What can I say?
I can't keep away! smile
Looklikerain...can't add to what anyone else has said, but just wanted to wish you luck x
We used to go into lymington for lunch (Italian) and ds loved it.
Not much to report...roof on! Yay! Mum had her staples out today and aside from looking very pale sad is also ok.
Dh had his op on Friday and is fine.
Hope you are all enjoying half term!?

DaftMaul Thu 21-Feb-13 14:54:43

Oh you bad bad Badvoc grin

Badvoc Thu 21-Feb-13 14:56:46

I know....I know....<hangs head in shame>
It's a good job I am not the messiah...we would all be truly buggered if I had to go into the wilderness for 40 days and nights! smile

DaftMaul Thu 21-Feb-13 14:59:22

Lol grin

Welcome home Badvoc, I'm glad you're a sinner smile

Ruggles Thu 21-Feb-13 17:33:31

Very glad to see you back! I think 9 days is very impressive - I would struggle with 9 hours, let alone anything more! Welcome back.
Lookslikerain - good luck tom, keep us posted!

Ruggles Thu 21-Feb-13 17:54:54

I got all ahead of myself.. I thought it was Friday night but just realised that its only Thursday sad

Badvoc Thu 21-Feb-13 18:03:08

Oh, I am most certainly a sinner smile
And may I say I feel very at home here! grin
Tom is doing well on lumosity...his memory scores are great (over 2000) which sort of rubbishes the EP report we had done!!! Althought to be fair that was prior to TH.
Will be spending the weekend traipsing round hobbycraft as tom gets the materials for his model rainforest...pity me sad

Is lumosity a Robin programme? Think ds would enjoy memory stuff. He too hates hemi opk and I love it as I can see it tweaking his brain. He can hardly do 2+2 type questions though while staring at the screen. Spelled his own name wrong yesterday (and he's a really good speller ordinarily)

Badvoc Thu 21-Feb-13 18:08:37

ruggles...I did it! I have e mailed the PCC and told them I am not standing again when my term runs out in April.
So, of course, now the crippling guilt has set in sad

Badvoc Thu 21-Feb-13 18:55:58

It's what comes after hemi opk shopping, although Tom is doing both as he really hated hemi opk and also struggled with simple maths when normally he is very good so robin kept him on it, much to his disgust!!
Like you say, you can almost see it fiddling with their brains! smile
The next assessment and parents evening next month will be interesting!

Beautifulpossum Fri 22-Feb-13 22:26:48

So interesting to hear about hemi opk. We go back to Robin in 2 weeks and I hope to get hemi t and hemi opk for both DS ans DD. Has anyone other than Indigo's DS had yoyo? and if so what does it do and when do you get it?

I really feel we are on the Home Run with all this now. Both my children have made great progress and there are just a few traces of inattention left in DD. DS is more confident by the day and managed to build a lego Chima creation today with 2 books of instructions on his own. A few months ago he could only just put a mini figure together. He also asked today when he was going back to school and said he was "sort of" looking forward to it.

Progress is so different for everyone. We have all started in the cerebellum and my DS made gains straight away- but so many of his problems were in the cerebellum. DD initial progress was slower as her cerebellum wasn't too bad but started to make real gains as we moved around the brain. My advice to everyone is to stick with it. I know there are days when we all feel it is hopeless/ not working/ witchcraft etc...but it is not. It works...it really works but you need lots of patience and faith and most importantly you need to follow the programme day in day out.

Badvoc Sat 23-Feb-13 08:42:54

Wow.
That's great BP smile
Tom is also making great progress...and has done since day 1 really.
It is a hard slog sometimes, but I always think..."what's the alternative?"
X

DaftMaul Sat 23-Feb-13 08:51:36

Hi BP, sounds as though everything is going well. I was hoping we would move on to lumosity and yoyo last visit but ds obviously needs to do more word tracking.

Will be interesting to see if we get the yoyo too or not.

What level did all your dcs get to with word tracking? Ds seems to vary according to how well/tired he is feeling! At least he is trying hard(er) to keep his head still now.

Badvoc Sat 23-Feb-13 09:05:09

Toms performance definitely varies depending on how tired he is...we struggle to do lumosity everyday as 2 evenings he is at my pils but just chatting to dh and we are going to make sure he does it at their house too.
He has to start on his rainforest project today...due much gnashing of teeth I am sure! smile

DaftMaul Sat 23-Feb-13 09:49:03

Ds has another art project - I haven't even heard of the artist! He thinks he has done a lot already ... he hasn't!

Hello to all, hope you've had a good half term. Ruggles does your DS start at his new school next week? Really hope that goes well.

Been ages since I posted anything but I've been lurking and enjoying reading about everyone's news. Taking inspiration from Badvoc I think I'll try to give up being so sporadic at posting for Lent (and onwards)

I think there was a mooted meet-up for Easter, I'd love to be involved with that. It'd be lovely to chat to people who understand the weirdness/witchcraft (can't remember who said it, but I LOVED that description!) of stairs and spinning etc. I've got my parents staying at the moment and even though they understand we are doing a 'programme' for ds I still feel a bit self-conscious about cajoling ds to find items in an Usborne book (thanks for that recommendation, ladies) while a PC screen flashes away to his left.

We go back to Robin next month, not long after ds turns 4. Very much looking forward to seeing him and getting the next stage of our programme.

It's been a good 2013 so far: ds has been given a statement and granted full-time classroom support for when he starts school in September. With ds having such good support at school and TH at home, we are so hopeful about his future.

Two weeks ago we had a meeting with ds's ASD preschool and they said he'd breezed through loads of his IEP targets. His motor skills, although still behind, are improving all the time, and his language is absolutely flying. He can now write loads of words and draw representationally (the latter with a bit of a push, he'd rather write his CVC words!).

Unlike many of you, we've not had concerns about our ds's reading, initially because he was so young when he started TH but now we're pretty sure there are no dyslexia issues here - in fact he's blasting through the Oxford Reading Tree and decoding words in his general reading books. If anything he's possibly inclined towards hyperlexia rather than dyslexia.

I hope this doesn't sound horribly show-offy or anything, from what I can tell hyperlexia is just a different type of 'glitch' in the wiring. (I would SO settle for average!)

Also his social skills with other kids are still really delayed. He's getting SO much better all the time with me, dh and adults in general - he's a different kid when it comes to things like sharing stories about his day, and we're starting to see lots more 'joint attention' eye contact which is amazing. And he's definitely playing with his little sister more. But there's a long way to go with peer play in general, which is my biggest worry for school. Then again, perhaps if we don't have as much to 'fix' in terms of his reading, we can start to really focus on the bits of the brain that help with friendships, empathy etc... Fingers crossed.

What amazing improvements worrier princess! So pleased for you.
Easter or summer would be great for a meet up. We are in cambridgeshire, where are you all?

We're London but happy to travel. (which I imagine goes for most people on this thread, considering our regular expeditions to the new forest grin)

Badvoc Sun 24-Feb-13 09:10:19

Wow, worrier, that sounds so positive! smile very pleased for you!
Glad the usborne books are working well for you.
Wrt the meet up...I am veering towards summer, if only for the better weather! smile what do people think of Windsor? I think most of you are south/London based?
I hope looklikerain is getting on ok at their appt...
I have been thinking a lot over the past day or so about Tom and his progress.
In sept 2011 (18 months ago and prior to TH) when he was in year 4 we paid for an EP report. It stated Tom was severely dyslexic (no surprises there) his spelling was < 3rd centile and his reading was <15th centile sad
The EP asked him to write a sentance and he wrote;
"Lion ar gud" (lions are good)
Now he writes book reviews, poetry, stories and letters.
He was reading books for year 1/2 children.
Now he is reading chapter books like dinosaur cove.
It's hard to remember just how bad his problems were when he is so much better now.
I really think he has a chance of being a level 4 in maths before he leaves year 5 which would be great (children are expected to be level 4s by age 11 and tom is 9)
The rainforest is coming on...slowly. He has decided to use real sand and stones for the ground and we have to make the river look more like real water with silicone <weeps>
When did my life turn into this in a Sunday morning??!
smile
Must go....da2 has just told me I have to "kiss him for 10 minutes"!! : o

Badvoc Sun 24-Feb-13 09:11:12

Worrier...I know indigos son wi asd has been much more empathetic since starting at TH.
She is delighted with his progress smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now