Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

NEW Tinsley house support thread -part 2!!

(977 Posts)
Badvoc Fri 21-Sep-12 20:05:07

Hello everyone!
Thought I should start a new thread as we were nearing 1000 posts! smile
Indigo is no longer posting as you all know, but I think it would be such a shame for the support thread to go too.
I know I find reading about all the ups and downs we all experience very helpful and it's so great to hear all the progress smile
So.
We go back to TH next month and can't wait. So interested to see of the tracking programme has worked. I think ds1s reading speed has improved and he is now reading proper chapter books!
He continues to show less anxiety, OCD behaviour and stress.
He is eating better and is generally a much happier chap.
Looking forward to hearing from you all over the next few weeks/months...X

Ruggles Mon 24-Dec-12 22:12:42

Hello, Happy Christmas everyone!

Badvocasta - so sorry to read about all the hassle. Please don't disengage from us! I'm not very good at FB, but happy to move if its easier for us all.

Daft - let's hope we don't see you on the tv... I got stuck in flood water on Thurs, with dcs... Total pain, had to be towed, but tow lorry wouldn't take children. Caught between two sets of flood water and had to beg a lift from a friend with an agri vehicle. Felt a right prat. 51 litres of water vac'd out of the car and had my new boots on... blush blush

Beautiful possum, Shoppingbags, Indigo, Worrier and all the other regular faces - thanks for all the lovely chat and support. It has been fab getting to know you all a bit over the last few months. Let's hope we all make the progress we want to in 2013.

Onion and Sally - welcome to the thread.

xx

I have a couple of hemi p and t questions that I should have asked Robin. So when ds does where's wally is it ok for him to chat and discuss what he can see? He wants us to sort of do it together. I avoid spotting stuff but ooh and ah when he finds things. And when he does the word searches is he supposed to just look for the words rather than circling them? He has only ever done word searches with them flat on the table and circling what he has found. I think he may find it frustrating to find a word and not circle it.

Badvoc Fri 28-Dec-12 10:29:43

Shopping...I chatted to ds when he did where's wally, I figure as long as he didn't take his eyes come e page it was ok.
Wrt the word searches, ds did out a line through the ones he got, as he would have just kept in finding the same words over and over again.
We use one of those book chair things to keep the books upright next the e laptop.
Hth x

Beautifulpossum Fri 28-Dec-12 22:05:22

Shopping- I have to keep reminding my DD to keep looking and remind her who she is looking for. Other than that I keep talking to a minimum- but my DD has very bad ADD. Sometimes we do a challenge and she looks on one side and me the other and then we swap. Not started hemi t yet.

Sounds as if it is going well for your DS though.

Badvoc Wed 02-Jan-13 11:06:59

Happy 2013 everyone!
Hope that this is the year our kids reach their potential and we can stop worrying! smile

Me too. We've been crap over Christmas. Too much sugar, a few forgotten omega 3 days and no hemi p or t at all. So I figure we are a week behind and may not be ready for the next programme when we speak to Robin in feb. back on it properly tomorrow though now that dh has finally put Star Wars sound track on the iPod.

Badvoc Wed 02-Jan-13 17:52:35

We had one or two days of not doing the programme...it was Xmas after all!
Don't panic.
The hemi opk thing has been really interesting - ds1 really doesn't like it at all. I think it's really affecting his brain! smile

Beautifulpossum Fri 04-Jan-13 20:08:08

Happy New Year guys.

Badvoc- you mentioned a book chair for the Wally books. Can you recommend one?- I am fed up with holding the book and DD complains that I am covering Wally up!

Badvoc Fri 04-Jan-13 22:09:44

I got mine from amazon...Was about £15 I think but it was a while ago.
Very useful thing.
I use it when I am baking to hold the recipe book open smile

Badvoc Fri 04-Jan-13 22:12:01

...yes just checked on amazon...about £15-20 each.
Sorry, cant do links, but if you type in "book chair" and it will bring up all the colour options etc.

Beautifulpossum Fri 04-Jan-13 23:34:56

Thanks Badvoc. thanks Just wondered how long people are doing Wally for? I know everyone is different but do you know the range? My DD has been doing it since end of September- suspect we have a long time to go.

DS now has 8 stars for jump duction with 7 to go. The bunting will be out chez possum when that's over with....it has almost killed us here! Tracking going well and really hope we get some new things to do when we go back to Robin on 9th February. Have been reading loads about GF/CF/DF but wondered if anyone thinks you really need to do it unless there is ASD. My children both have DDS but neither have autistic traits?

Ds has ASD traits as his official diagnosis. We haven't gone gf or cf and are still seeing the fab results I've spoken about.

Badvoc Sat 05-Jan-13 09:54:59

BP; we did where's wally for at least 4 months.
Luckily tom quite likes it!
He was dx as severely dyslexic in sept 2011 and a paed was going dx him asd but by the time was saw the paed he was already so much better we didn't feel an asd dx would be if any benefit to him.
GF/cf can help all the issues of DDS IMO.
Tom isn't GF/cf but he has really cut back and it has benefitted him enormously. He no longer drinks milk, and we use GF pasta and try and limit his carb intake.
I will certainly be encouraging GF when he is older and can take more responsibility for his own diet.
It know how much better I feel GF!

Ruggles Sat 05-Jan-13 10:47:50

Happy new year everyone smile
Good to hear about all the progress. I love hearing about your different exercises and how well you are getting on.

We're off to see Robin next and I'm really looking forward to seeing him. DS is doing well, although we do have a long way to go. We went to friends yesterday and he was quite clingy and then kicked the dog cage with the dog inside. He kept going back to do it again, he just didn't get the message.... We're also taking DD to meet Robin and that's going to be interesting too! She is doing so much better with eye contact and babbling, which is a big relief.

I'm sure the GF/DF will make a big difference. We're about to start our probiotics (thanks Beautiful Possum) and then we're seeing a dietician in late Feb and I'll start on one after the tests (prob dairy first) and then gf a bit later. I want to see if one has a bigger impact than another...

Ruggles Sat 05-Jan-13 10:48:07

next week!

We're off next weekend for our first consultation with Robin.

I think I am worried that I won't see much improvement. Or maybe that my hopes are high and I am expecting some kind of miracle and will be disappointed with the results.

Good luck Prince. I really think you will see noticeable results between your first and second consultation.

Badvoc Sat 05-Jan-13 16:35:28

Good luck prince.
You won't see a difference immediately...but as shopping says, by the time your next appt comes round (6-8 weeks) you should be seeing some improvement, some of which can be quite impressive smile
We saw an improvement in toms bowels/stomach problems very quickly. We also saw an improvement in his ability to concentrate.
Should mention that we are also using workbooks called "apples and pears" which are for helping with spelling and punctuation - have been using them since July and they have also really helped him.

Ruggles Sat 05-Jan-13 19:45:48

Good luck Prince. I was really nervous before our first consultation and was amazed at how quickly we saw some changes. Am going to make a list this week and will post more detail then, but we have been really pleased with what has happened so far. It's been a real relief and has given us a lot of hope for the future and confidence in the programme.

Thanks everyone.
Maybe if I post here what she is like then I can look back and see how she is in a few weeks.

DD is 4.1 and has a speech and language disorder (we think!). She has very unclear speech and finds it hard to find the right words. She has trouble processing what people say.

She has a short concentration span and has very poor motor processing and planning for both gross and fine motor skills.

She sleeps badly unless she has done a lot of activity, but as she is hypermobile and has low muscle tone she finds movement hard.

She wets herself and soils herself a lot.

She gets frustrated and angry easily and her behaviour has to be 'managed'.

She seems to be both behind a fog and living life in treacle. It's all there but just out of reach and slower than other 4 year olds.

I would like for her motor processing to improve, for her to be able to concentrate and join in with other children more and for her language to be such that she can interact with her peers.

Badvoc Sat 05-Jan-13 21:20:14

I absolutely think that your daughters "fog" can be lifted by TH.
I described my son as being "imprisoned" by his dyslexia, dyspraxia and OCD/asd.
I know what you mean also when you say "it's all there but out of reach and slower"...that was now my son was.

Badvoc Sat 05-Jan-13 21:21:03

....I only wish that I had done TH when he was 4 sad
You are getting her help early on.
Absolutely the right thing to do x

Ruggles Sat 05-Jan-13 21:50:20

I agree about the 'there but out of reach and slower' - that is such a good description. From my limited experience, I am sure that TH will be be able to help you.

Beautifulpossum Sat 05-Jan-13 22:31:58

Prince- I was really worried that my DS would be the one that Robin couldn't help. He isn't! He can help all children. From your description of your DD's problems I cn't see anything there that Robin hasn't treated with amazing results before....It takes time, patience and a great leap of faith, but you have us here on the thread..we are here for you all the way.....

Beautifulpossum Sat 05-Jan-13 22:35:25

DS had haircut today and was laughing and joking with the barber....and fascinated by his tattoos!....This was a boy who in June had such bad sensory problems that I thought he would never have a hair cut again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now