Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Wilbarger Brushing Protocol

(10 Posts)
LeninGrad Thu 18-Aug-11 13:08:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chundle Thu 18-Aug-11 13:15:43

My dd2 was meant to get this from the OT but didn't sadly. It's supposed to be very good but apparently you have to get the Ot to train you in properly. That's all I know x

coff33pot Thu 18-Aug-11 13:18:06

I have not tried it Lenin but I do pressure massage with DS at home myself. He hates light touching or anyone touching him when he is anxious. But he likes firm pressure and if out I am able to keep him down to earth by holdng his hand and brushing firmly with my thumb on the back of his hand. Also when talking to him with an instruction I hold his face first to direct it to me and then firmily massage his shoulders whilst talking. It seems to help him focus on what I am saying.

LeninGrad Thu 18-Aug-11 13:54:12

IndigoBell Thu 18-Aug-11 14:01:39

It's one of the ways to treat retained reflex therapies isn't it?

If so, I believe some people on this board have done it and found it works.

You know I'm a huge fan of treating retained reflexes....... But I haven't used brushing.

LeninGrad Thu 18-Aug-11 14:22:12

Lougle Thu 18-Aug-11 14:44:26

We did brushing therapy, but for DD it had the opposite result than intended - she became totally overstimulated and hyperactive. The OT thought it might be the sensation of the surgical brush. So we reverted to deep pressure massage.

1980Sport Thu 18-Aug-11 17:15:32

We're just home from a private OT assessment (DS1 2.8 GDD) armed with a therapressure brush and instructions to do it 3 times a day! Just did it once there now and can't believe how DS allowed me to brush his arms, legs and his back! I was really impressed with how she identified the impact his sensory problems around his arms are impeding his whole development. Something I've raised time and time again at CDC and been poo poo'd!

Eveiebaby Thu 18-Aug-11 20:11:58

We do it for DD but have only being doing it for about a month so too soon maybe to tell if it has had any impact. I believe one of the benefits is that it's meant to make children more alert - DD can be very passive outside the house at times - just preferring to watch instead of joining in. I guess like anything we will have to give it a few months - we are doing it in conjunction with other exercises for retained reflexes. I am wondering if school will notice any changes in DD when she goes back in September.

Katclo Sun 26-Jun-16 23:26:18

Has anyone got anymore advice on brushing and if you have been pleased with results for retained reflexes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now