Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone else have a child on fluoxetine (eg. Prozac, Prozep)?

(15 Posts)
Toffeefudgecake Tue 16-Aug-11 10:42:46

My son has been on Prozep (better known as Prozac) for about six weeks and it has really helped his OCD and social anxiety. It has been wonderful to see him able to go out without fear, to mix with other children, play football, live a normal life without being ruled by his usual obsessions and compulsions. However, he missed three days' worth this week, thanks to a dose of tonsillitus, and his behaviour deteriorated rapidly. He became afraid of being poisoned or contaminated and started performing his rituals again. It made me realise how dependent he is on the medication and wonder if he will need to be on something for life.

I was wondering if anyone else has (or had) a child on this medication, or similar, and whether it helped. How long were they on it? Were there any side effects? Any stories, really.

Thanks.

cornsilx Tue 16-Aug-11 12:22:21

can I pm you?

Toffeefudgecake Tue 16-Aug-11 12:30:41

Certainly you can, Cornsilx. Thank you.

wraith Tue 16-Aug-11 13:12:18

while it is possible that he may need osmething forl ife its equally possible that as he grows up the emotions and behaviours he should have now will develop later on

MissKittyEliza Tue 16-Aug-11 13:18:51

Hi Toffee, joining you on here and watching with interest!

coff33pot Tue 16-Aug-11 13:44:48

My DD (NT) was on fluoxetine for a year in her early teens. I have been on and off it over the years myself. I had citaloprin in between as it was the new one at the time and I was climbing walls and scared of the world so I wouldnt touch that with a barge pole for DCs.

Both of us had no side effects whatsoever. I took it for two years. I was so much calmer and able to deal with what was thrown at me. It didnt make me a zombie at all and I was able to function normally. DD was the same x

MissKittyEliza Tue 16-Aug-11 20:55:18

Ds started on Prozac today. I can only hope for a beneficial effect. He's been so ill (ASD and OCD with Tourettes style verbal mantras), I have no choice but to choice but to give it to him and watch what happens.

He's 10. He had a brief trial of Sertralene and later, Risperidone. The first was ineffective and the second had zombie like side effects, palpitations, muscle cramps and breathlessness. Never again.

coff33pot Tue 16-Aug-11 21:23:46

the reason I took it MissKitty wasnt for OCD or Tourettes, it was for depression. That said I was so bad that I couldnt eat, sleep and had a huge fear of opening my front door literally or answer the phone. Wont go into the ins and outs but enough to say I was terrified that I wouldnt be able to cope in the real world anymore as I couldnt take anyone wanting anything or help with anything. It got so bad that I got to a stage where I didnt want to put my two feet on the carpet in the morning and step out of bed because if I did then I would have to try and act "normal". Once I took it and it only took 7 days I can honestly say I was a different person. Not tired, not zombie, no sickness or headaches and my paranoia of the world did go. It was the best thing I done. And now if I get a pressure feeling mounting up then I go to the GP and I get it. Have done for years on and off. I really am keeping my fingers crossed for you x

My ds has supposed to be on this for a year now. He refuses to take it as he does any meds. So for the hitty missy times he's had it there's been no change in him. The last month or so we haven't even bothered trying to give it to him.
He has been given it to try and calm him down, make him less aggressive etc so he is more able to work with. He was supposed to be getting CBT also however they have said his SLD is too severe for it to have an effect hmm

I must admit I was on seroxat about 15 year ago for at least 3 year and that crippled me to come off, it was a long hard slog with tons of side effects.

Toffeefudgecake Wed 17-Aug-11 10:54:51

It's very interesting to read all these contributions, thank you.

Wraith - I hope you're right about DS developing drug-free ways to deal with his anxiety/OCD as he grows up. Hopefully, the CBT will help with that.

Coff - glad to hear it worked so well for you and DD smile.

MissKitty - I really hope it works for your son. It took about 10 days for the effects to kick in with my DS and the changes were very subtle at first. After that, it was like seeing my son released from a prison.

Devient - it's a real shame you can't get your son to take the med. It just won't work unless it's taken every day and has time to build up in the system. Don't be put off by your own experience - I think a lot has been learned about these drugs in the last 15 years.

DS is back on Prozac now after his three-day break and I'm hoping it starts working again soon, as he was in a very bad state without it.

wraith Wed 17-Aug-11 13:19:37

glad to be of service

daisysue2 Fri 19-Aug-11 02:02:37

My dd was on it for about three years from year two to year four at school mainly for anxiety. All I can say is that within a week she had changed so dramatically she was unrecognisable, for the better.

CAMHS explained it to me as being a way of changing her behaviour so that she learnt new ways of doing things. So before she wouldn't talk to people, was terrified of noise, wouldn't go to any swimming events, even though she was the best swimmer in her year. I can hardly remember all the things that she was scared of but basically she wasn't joining in with life, she was watching scared from the sidelines.

After taking Prozac she joined in with everything, she was quite naughtly and lound and funny and bonkers and didn't care anymore what people thought of her. She was told off in school for some hilarious things. She went to a swimming club for trials and did the trials without clinging on to me and crying. She moved to a new school only knowing two other children and walked straight into the classroom without even looking back at us. She made new friends and talked to her teacher every morning about something. When she went on holiday she chatted to people on the beach and had a little gang of friends who followed her everywhere as she was the best crab catcher. She was also the best bug catcher in school and a group of other children followed her round the playground catching buts. My list could go on and on.

We decided to take her off after talking CAMHS said they didnt' think she needed it anymore as her behviour had changed so much. I was terrified, I thought she would regress and without the medication she wouldn't be able to function again. She was taken off it gradually over around four months and she became much calmer and the change was noticable, she was shy again but not terrified. She doesn't talk quite so much as she did but she will talk.

She also told me recently, as dd2 is also scared of many things and so I asked her why she isn't scared any more and she said that she realised that being scared wouldn't kill her and that she wanted to do things more than not do them because she was scared.

Also another thing that we had talked about with CAMHS is how high her level of anxiety would go. Basically it only goes so high and then plateauxs off and then comes down, but some children don't realise this they have to be taught. They believe it will just keep getting higher and higher and don't know how to handle this.

I would say that I am a firm believer that Prozac can works wonders. My dd was also on Ritalin and I wouldn't talk very highly of that. There is far more research done on Prozac than Ritalin and is seen as a much safer drug just very few people talk about it's use off label.

Toffeefudgecake Fri 19-Aug-11 08:46:35

Daisy - what a wonderful, encouraging post. Thank you so much. The change you describe in your daughter is similar to what we are already seeing in my son. The other week we attended a birthday party outdoors. Instead of sitting alone, refusing to mix with anyone, DS1 voluntarily sat down with the other older children there and joined in with Pictionary. He then joined in with a game of football - something he has refused to do for over six months. He enjoyed himself and the positive responses he was getting from the other children.

Like your daughter, I hope this means he will learn new, more positive ways of doing things and be able to replace his negative experiences until now with positive ones.

I am also very apprehensive at the thought of DS coming off the medication. The psychiatrist said he would be on it for six to seven months, so that he can settle into secondary school. I'm not sure this will be long enough and it is interesting to hear that your daughter was on it for several years. However, I'm encouraged to hear that she did not revert to her previous anxious state once she came off it.

I asked the psychiatrist about the drug's safety record. She said it was one of the most tested drugs and had an excellent safety record.

daisysue2 Fri 19-Aug-11 17:12:33

Toffee if you ever want to PM me please do as I'm more than happy to tell you more about my dds experience or answer any questions you may have in the future.

Toffeefudgecake Fri 19-Aug-11 17:23:19

Thank you, Daisy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now