can a 'good' reader be dyslexic ?

(31 Posts)
hotpotato11 Mon 05-Oct-09 22:14:08

I have a DD of 8 and my gut feeling is that she has some kind of problem connected with literacy.Although she knows and understands phonics patterns her spelling is apalling.She can say what sounds she needs but write them down in the wrong order and can'tt see that it is wrong unless you make her touch each one and sound it out.School think she is a good reader because she was at level 4 in Y3 SATS.But she isn't. She relies on recognising the shape of a huge number of words but when confronted with an unknown word has no idea.
I have just realised she can't even easily read out the letters because she says she can't see them properly because they move about too much.She has had a recent eye test
She scored 3a in yr 3 in literacy although her spelling age was very very low.
She has recently done Verbal and non-verbal reasoning tests at school and came out in the extremely high bracket only dropping one mark on each paper putting her top of her year.So she isn't daft
I don't know anything about dyslexia but I wonder whether there is a possibility DD could be affected.
Are there any simple tests we could do at home to give us an idea if it is worth putting her in for an assessment.
Finally would the school help her even if she was diagnosed ?
Any replies would be most gratefully received

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 05-Nov-09 00:21:18

my DS is 17. he is an avid reader. he got great GCSE results - including a B in english.

6 weeks into college he did the LADS test. he then saw an ed psyche - he has moderate to severe dyslexia.

so yes! in answer to your question!

tell Tue 15-Jan-13 14:07:32

can anyone recommend whether I choose " a specially designed program" - undefined from Dyslexia action to help with my son's reading comprehension, or to choose the Toe by Toe system deliver it myself or allow the school to do it x 10mins 5 times per week. He can read!

Trying2bgd Tue 15-Jan-13 14:32:34

My dd1 who is 9 has recently been assessed as having dsylexic traits. I'm still not sure what this really means and is having support once a week. She is a good reader but we have been told that although she can read well, she's a poor reader for her cognitive abilities!!! And needs help with inferential comprehension as well as having poor spelling. Teachers have always commented on her quirky thinking and also her tendency to be distracted if its not a subject she loves! Am trying to get a meeting as I'm not clued up on all these SEN terms or what if anything I should be doing to help. Any advice would be welcome.

PlaySchool Wed 16-Jan-13 19:12:16

In respect of words moving around on the page, has anyone mentioned this yet?

www.irlenuk.com/

schmee Mon 21-Jan-13 07:02:28

I came on to post about the same thing... My son is in year one and confidently reads at least a year above his age but has no phonic ability at all. He guesses words from context, recognises whole words or guesses from the first letter, but can't decode. His spelling is really bad unless he learns the word and then he will still write the word as an anagram or rough approximation. He regularly reverses letters (b/d j/t).

He has had glue ear in the past. I have started to wonder if he has auditory dyslexia. Am I completely off track and he has just somehow "not got" the whole phonics thing? How could I help him?

Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't want to start a new one on the same subject.

bruffin Mon 21-Jan-13 07:06:46

You are better to start a new thread, as few will read the whole thread and just answer the op and not see yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now