Happy SEN thread

(3 Posts)
shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 20-Sep-16 13:35:08

Feeling a bit blue about dd, having testing for dyslexia, also probable sensory processing disorder and struggling socially. I want to hear all about the wonderful things that looking at the world in a different way has contributed to making your child who they are.

Let me start by introducing dd's 'dyslexic gifts' - she has an amazing talent for composing music - I can't tell the difference between something she has composed and her regular music practice. She has near perfect pitch. She comes up with great stories. She memorises great chunks of audio books to recite back at random moments. She sees unique ways to solve maths problems. She designs buildings, She is tenacious and perseveres. Probably more, hopefully hearing about your dc will remind me of her other talents.

From her SPD, if we come to a point in human evolution when hanging bat like is vital for the continuation of the species, she will be at the front of the queue. Likewise if tights are banned in favour of leggings then she has a headstart. She will never get food poisoning from a dodgy curry.

So please tell me about the wonderful things that your dc might not do if they were one of those boring children who can do everything easily (lighthearted - I have a few of those too and they aren't really boring).

cockadoodledoooo Thu 22-Sep-16 22:33:57

Ahh, I need a happy thread today!

If my 4yr old dd was totally average she might not have the creativity to create her own songs too. She also creates plays to entertain us with and dance recitals to accompany the songs she makes up. I don't know many children her age, but her imagination is incredible and she can describe things in such detail.

After an 1.5 hour night terror just ended I needed to see the positive. Thanks!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 22-Sep-16 23:59:17

flowers It's so easy to get bogged down by the problems isn't it. Sounds as if she has some great talents too which she will carry with her through life. You must record some of her plays. Put them on a DVD or something for Christmas. I should do the same for dd. Show them how proud we are of what they can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now