SEN girls and periods

(6 Posts)
PrincessHairyMclary Tue 13-Sep-16 18:53:24

I'm a Science TA at a Secondary school I've been set the task of explaining periods to a group of our girls (with autism, aspergers and other needs), they have all studied reproduction but aren't applying the menstral cycle to what is happening to their bodies and are finding it difficult to adjust, the parents have had 'the talk' and some of the parents have asked if the school can try and step in and support them.

My question is, what strategies have you used with your own daughters (or any other tips) to explain periods?

I really want to support them but not quite sure where to start, although I have googled and found some promising looking websites.

FadedRed Tue 13-Sep-16 18:58:31

Have you tried contacting the School Nurse and the local Learning Disabilities services? They should have some resources that you might find helpful.

Helenluvsrob Tue 13-Sep-16 19:05:06

As your local special school ? They must have resources. Or back to babette Cole and mummy laid an egg and hair in funny places. Grand for inquisitive 5-6yr old but actually pretty factual and non patronising.

PrincessHairyMclary Tue 13-Sep-16 21:07:45

Brilliant ideas thank you. it was sprung on me at the end of the day but I'll definetly follow up on those suggestions.

Balletgirlmum Sun 25-Sep-16 16:58:57

My poor daughter with aspergers also has mennorragea to cope with. She is on medication to stop her flooding & fainting.

But she's coped brilliantly with it so I'm afraid I have no advice. It's not an area she struggles with.

I think you have to be very clear about things & not try & put things in flowery language. Autistic children don't get inference & struggle with analogies.

Frusso Tue 04-Oct-16 13:19:14

What's happening to Ellie, is a good simple yet getting the point across early puberty book.

I guess it depends on what the aim is? Is it to teach them the ins and outs of the whole menstrual cycle, or explain that they'll be getting pubic hair, breasts, hips, and periods?

For my dd2, the ovulation and and the egg either being fertilised or not is beyond what she currently needs to know, so we focused breast/hair/body shape changing, and on every 28-35 days she would bleed, but it doesn't mean she's hurt, how to use pads/tampons, change them when she goes to the toilet, and having good hygiene inc deodorant, and also shaving legs/pits if she wants to. What her body is doing behind the scenes wasn't my focus at this point.

Also I second keeping it factual, non fluffy/flowery,
My dd1 is very factual, and whilst she knows the whats and whys, and the detail behind it, she would struggle with applying the menstrual cycle to her life if her cycle wasn't exactly 28days, or if something doesn't happen on the exact day she was told it would, e.g., 28 day cycle bleed for 5 days, if she was 30days and bled for 2 or 7 days, it would confuse the hell out of her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now