Help!

(18 Posts)
Greenyogagirl Sun 29-May-16 18:38:20

Hi
My ds is 6 and in year 1. He has been excluded 6 times. Since mid December he has been put in foundation stage for two weeks, is 'off timetable' not in the classroom and spends 8.45-12.30 playing in the sand and occasionally doing maths.
He has a diagnosis of autism, school think pda as well. He also has encopresis and asthma and I get called in to clean him up if he soils himself as school won't/can't help him apparently.
He had a meltdown in the quiet room and after I had comforted him he stood up to put the cushions back in the room, a member of staff grabbed his ankle really hard and pinned him to the floor.
A teacher has told him he's a demon child.
Last Thursday he refused to go into lunch and they told him 'if you don't go for lunch mummy won't pick you up'.
He has a chew buddy that's referred to on his behaviour plan but teacher took it off him and told me not to bring it in.
I see the head teacher pretty much every day as well as senco, teacher and his 1-2-1s but I feel very ganged up on and they say they'll do something and don't and when I mention special school or home ed they say 'oh no we want him here' which I think is because he already gets 1-2-1 but when he gets EHCP he'll get more funding.
I've home schooled in afternoons for most of year1 and would love to do it full time for a year and then look at special schools but I'm scared as I'm a single parent and I have literally no childcare at all.

Also ds wants to go to the zoo on a school trip, I don't drive so can't take him. This is on Friday the day after his review meeting but he refuses to go to school and I'm dreading him going back.

Just any advice or hugs appreciated

Alibobbob Sun 29-May-16 18:43:36

Hug

The school aren't meeting his needs or sticking to the plan detailing his needs. I would look at a special school if I was you and would pray they had a place for him. The current school are abusing him - pinned down by his ankles! Tell him he's a demon child and removing his only source of comfort his chew bracelet!

It's not a healthy or safe environment for him and the school aren't coping with his needs.

X

LIZS Sun 29-May-16 18:45:16

Isn't this an illegal exclusion? Have you spoken to Ipsea? This school doesn't sound like the best environment for him, not least because they are not able to diagnose be it pda or anything else.

Greenyogagirl Sun 29-May-16 18:47:26

Thank you Ali X
I get no help or support so am always questioning whether I'm making the right decisions! We've just put in for EHCP which takes at least 20 weeks I've been told and can't apply for special school place without it sad
There's a lovely special school not too far on a farm but I don't think I'd get help with transport costs as its not our closest confused x

Greenyogagirl Sun 29-May-16 18:49:09

I've spoken to IPSEA, lea and my sister in law who is a senco, all say it's an illegal exclusion and part time timetable doesn't exist. School say they're marking it as authorised absence and aren't doing anything wrong. It's an academy and no one is prepared/able to confront them really. X

WishesAndPixieDust Sun 29-May-16 19:10:37

I've been told legally(by an ed psyc you can be in a special school for 6 months (I think) without an ehcp! Which is the time it will take to get the ehcp sorted. Phone the closest ones.
Sorry you're having such a hard time with school. I hope you both get the help and support you need sad

Greenyogagirl Sun 29-May-16 19:17:37

I've contacted our 3 closest saying he's guaranteed an EHCP and they've all said if he doesn't have it yet then there's nothing they can do sad
Thank you, I just feel like the school know they're bigger than me so don't listen if that makes sense. There's 35 kids in each class and 5 with Sen in his class so I don't see it improving anyway X

Alibobbob Sun 29-May-16 19:35:03

Trust your instincts and contact your local authority. I would also take DS to see your GP and tell them everything. The GP can document it and hopefully offer some sound advice. Is it possible to put his name down at the special school to hopefully reserve his place if that cannot hap just to log an interest. Is it possible to meet with the SENCO at the special school to get some advice?

I would also write/email the school listing your concerns and asking them how they plan to deal with DS in the future.

If the school gets more funding because your son will have an EHCP then it's in their interest to get it done ASAP and yours and your son's so he can leave ASAP

X

Greenyogagirl Sun 29-May-16 19:36:57

Thank you ❤️
I'll definitely go and look around a few special schools and put his name down X

Alibobbob Sun 29-May-16 19:42:35

Your welcome. Will the EHCP be delayed because of the school holidays or will he be able to start in a new school in September?

Greenyogagirl Sun 29-May-16 19:48:50

I'm not sure, I'm hoping it won't be delayed! I think depending on how his 'person centred review' goes next Thursday will decide on if I withdraw him from school then and there or wait until he has a place elsewhere X

Alibobbob Sun 29-May-16 19:55:37

Get some advice before you withdraw him. I am not sure how a EHCP works does he have to be in a school setting whilst they assess him? Are there any other sectors involved? E.g. The people who have diagnosed his conditions.

Home schoolong is always an option.
X

Alibobbob Sun 29-May-16 19:55:58

*schooling lol

Greenyogagirl Sun 29-May-16 19:58:41

He can still get EHCP if he's homeschooled. Ed psych, salt and paediatrician are involved in his EHCP but not directly with him anymore. X

Alibobbob Sun 29-May-16 20:39:57

Would it benefit him if they were involved?

Good luck Greeney I think you know what to do the time will fly and he will be in a much better school soon x

Greenyogagirl Sun 29-May-16 20:42:39

He's just been discharged from most, I think the biggest issue is the school but I'll let you know how I get on at the review meeting if that's ok xx
Thanks for all your help it is really appreciated smile

Alibobbob Sun 29-May-16 20:47:13

I would love to know how you get on. Make a list of what you need to talk about.

Good luck... Hug

AugustaFinkNottle Fri 03-Jun-16 21:01:37

Contact SOS SEN about the illegal exclusions. I've heard that their legal adviser is prepared to write formal solicitors' letters for people. I suspect the academy would find they can't ignore that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now