How can I show what dyspraxic feels like?

(10 Posts)
pilipala29 Sun 15-May-16 19:51:17

My DS is dyspraxic and has lovely friends who help him a lot but he's getting fed up at people/children laughing at his 'awkwardness'. So I was wondering if there was anything I could do to show what doing everyday tasks feels like to him. I've heard of getting others to wear gloves to tie their shoelaces to see how difficult it can be but does anybody else have any other ideas?

RedOnHerHedd Sun 15-May-16 20:58:32

Wear shoes that are too big?

RedOnHerHedd Sun 15-May-16 21:00:19

My friends children have dyspraxia, I'm glad he has good friends and letting them know how it feels should help them to understand it better and not draw attention to it as much.

RedOnHerHedd Sun 15-May-16 21:02:13

Wear bulky ski gloves for writing.

RedOnHerHedd Sun 15-May-16 21:09:23

Oh.... Last week I had conjunctivitis and had to wear a patch on my one eye to be able to visit my grandad in hospital to feed him. I was amazed at how having one eye covered can affect depth perception. I found it really difficult to coordinate where the spoon was going. Maybe that might help?

Sorry, I know I'm just adding to the thread bit by bit but I'm just adding them as I'm thinking them.

RedOnHerHedd Sun 15-May-16 21:11:16

Oh... Ps... Love your butterfly MN name. Fellow Welsh girl here.

StillYummy Sun 15-May-16 21:16:48

Ask them to think of somthing they can't do that others can (swim, pick up spiders etc).

Ask them to immagine this skill was somthing they had to master to have an easy life.

ask how they would feel of everyone else did it easily and then laughed at there efforts.

That's how I explained dislexia to my work.

Unfortunately this wasn't enough for some people so I had to take them into a room and point out they wouldn't take the piss of me if I was in a wheel chair, because they would be sacked, and fortunately for me dislexia is covered by the same laws.

DontFeedTheDailyFail Sun 15-May-16 21:25:23

Use the opposite hand/ foot to normal so try to write with your left if right handed, throw a ball with your left hand etc.

Your brain knows what you want to achieve, you know you're sending the right message but the muscle doesn't fully understand what its being told to do.

Also with dyspraxia theres a lack of muscle memory so where a non dyspraxic person can learn the new muscle skill it takes much longer for a dyspraxic person as they have to keep going over old ground.

pilipala29 Sun 15-May-16 21:41:54

Some great ideas. I don't want it to be a big thing but want to get them to realise how some things are funny but how it is getting tiresome for him x

LIZS Sun 15-May-16 21:45:32

Trying to things by looking in a mirror. Rubbing tummy and moving feet to different rhythms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now