Dyslexia in reception

(4 Posts)
PickleBot Fri 15-Apr-16 22:21:15

Hi all, DS is 4 (summer birthday). He started school in September and loves it, which was a huge relief. But as time has gone on he hadn't made the progress in phonics or writing that his teacher expects. He is a clever little chap, interested in everything and always full of good questions. He has a very scientific mind (just like his parents), his reading and writing abilities obviously don't match his comprehension or thinking levels. Maths is going okay as long as you don't ask him to write anything down. At consultations a couple of weeks ago we were discussing this and I mentioned that I have an extremely family history of dyslexia (and other assorted associated conditions), everyone on my mum's side as far as we can track back plus my dad. Both me and my brother were diagnosed in the late 80s. So this is no surprise to me! DH is also probably dyspraxic although he's never been formally diagnosed.

The school have been brilliant, he's now getting extra small group "over learning" sessions with his class TA and he's done an informal assessment with the SENCO and she agrees there is something there. Now I know that given space and time DS will find his own way through this with support from us and school (because the rest of us have), which he is getting, but my question is will he get the space and time to do it? I'm worried about assessments and in particular Y2 SATS in a couple of years. Do they make adjustments for kids with SEN? And if they do, then does the child need a formal diagnosis in place for that to happen? Because if so then we probably need to be getting going knowing the levels of red tape that could be involved right? I'm unsure what I can do, to best support and protect him. He's already feeling anxious about reading and doesn't want to do it. We've decided that he doesn't have to read at home if he doesn't want to, but we've surrounded him in books about stuff he's interested in and we read to him a lot, I suppose I want him to see the point of learning to read! Sorry this is a bit of annunstructured mess....basically help!

Tissie Tue 19-Apr-16 23:00:20

The school have been very good. It is rare to find anyone in education who will consider a dyslexic diagnosis before 6yrs. I would ask the school to refer him to an educational psychologist perhaps after the first year. At home it is a really good idea to continue to read to him and if you're doing maths for you to write it down. You can also encourage reading and writing through use of a computer. Help him to choose a topic he's interested in e.g zoo animals. Find and copy/save 5 different pictures. Now one at a time paste each picture into a word page. Let's say it's an elephant. Ask your son what he notices and write in a large clear font the key words e.g. the elephant is big.
When you have 5 done it can be printed out (if in A5 booklet you can refer to his book). Read it with him. He may join in or even take over at some point. Don't worry because the words are not part of his phonic learning, he will probably memorise the text. The point is to grasp the point of reading and make it accessible to him.

wishingstar1 Wed 20-Apr-16 18:54:40

Dyslexic learners require a lot of over learning, and most professionals agree that a multi sensory approach supports the associated memory problems a lot of dyslexics have.

At homes this means introducing the letters of the alphabet through touch and sound as well as sight. When my dyslexic son was small I would fill a paddling pool or large tub with 3/4 letter T's as he was familiar with this letter and one of a new letter I was introducing eg a P. I would then ask him to find the odd one out, then tell him he had found the letter P. Then mix up again and ask him to find the letter P. Easy game lots of ways to play.

Check out the BDA website good starting point.
The school sounds fantastic by the way.

loopygoose Mon 04-Jul-16 09:39:00

Hi, here is what I have found, personally, to work. Have a look and see if any of it helps you.
loopygoosedarling.wordpress.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now