Questions about diagnosis

(6 Posts)
LovelyBath Sat 02-Apr-16 23:09:24

Hello, please be kind with me as I'm new to this and a bit sensitive and concerned about my DS

I am hoping you might be able to help me with a couple of questions. I am int he process of having had a possible difficulty highlighted at parents' evening next week, and going through the next steps of seeing the SENCO, possible assessment etc.

If a child is assessed and has a diagnosis, does this go on his medical record e.g. at the GP

If so, how does this affect them for the rest of their life for example with applying for jobs? I have a MH condition myself, and it can be a problem as application forms can ask about what conditions you have. Would the disability discrimination act come into place here?

Many thanks in advance.

Legoladette Mon 04-Apr-16 20:18:19

I suppose it depends on the condition and the diagnosis as to whether it will need to "come out" later in life when applying for a job( I guess such as seizures affecting ability to operate machinery etc.) is that what you mean? My son has an EHCP and a dx of cerebral palsy and associated difficulties and yes, every time I get any paperwork from the CDC or the local authority asking for assessments etc my GP is cc'd. However, what I see as more important is that he gets the help NOW. Without the extra support at school DS wouldn't stand a chance in ever getting a job, so I don't look at any of it as being a problem.

LovelyBath Tue 05-Apr-16 08:08:27

Hi it is called Slow Processing Speed. Thanks.

PolterGoose Tue 05-Apr-16 08:22:16

Slow processing speed is more a description than a diagnosis, and would usually be more education than medical unless there were underlying reasons. Do you have other concerns?

LIZS Tue 05-Apr-16 08:30:32

It wouldn't be a medical issue unless part of a formal medical diagnosis. If he had a diagnosis such as dyslexia or dyspraxia those are Specific Learning Disorders which can be declared on an application form and enable support and reasonable adjustments under DDA. Few jobs require access to medical records, it is left to candidate to disclose.

LovelyBath Tue 05-Apr-16 11:14:31

Thank you for your help, that is really useful. No, I don't think there are other concerns. It has just been mentioned to be at the parent's evening recently. he is to get extra time in his SATs in year 6 due to it.

The next step is to see the SENCO after the Easter holidays, and go from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now