Educational psychologist referral

(2 Posts)
slightlyinsane Wed 27-Jan-16 21:38:32

Hi,
After what seems like forever my ds's school have asked if they can refer him to the ed psych. Maybe if they'd listened to me in August when he started we'd be much further along instead of smiling sweetly and treating me like a neurotic mother. Anyway, for those who've been through the process can you explain what happened and how long you had to wait etc.
Ds has a speech disorder (no diagnosis of a particular one) and has been having slt for nearly 3 years. He's still got a very long way to go but school have finally seen what I've been trying to tell people for years, he's a smart little cookie but there's something else going on alongside the speech problems.
At 5 1/2 he pretty much knows all of them, still struggles with pronunciation of a handful. He can't transfer any of his knowledge to paper ie can you write a b etc. When reading he is reading from memory and not sounding out. If you take a word of a sentence he's just read he has no idea what it is. There's behaviour issues at home, not anywhere else. There's more but I'm waffling now.
It would just be nice to read some people's experiences

citychick Sun 31-Jan-16 12:03:26

Hello.
Try the SEN board.
Lots of helpful posters there.
HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now